Gravity (2013)  

137 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Had to chime on this fantastic movie experience.  It's unlike anything you've seen.  It's 3d and visuals in all of its glory.  The 2nd debris field sequence is beyond words.  Can you imagine the eeriness of massive destruction happening around you in pure silence. 

Although the sequence of events is hard to fathom happening, the terror in what was happening was real.  In some ways, the suspense and terror reminded me of Open Water (one of the scariest movies ever) where the main characters are likely patiently waiting for your own death. Only the ocean is substituted with outer space.

Pretty much everything worked for me.  I give it an A- as I always try not to go too crazy when I'm excited about a movie after initially seeing it.  But I suspect it will likely move up to an A on repeat viewings.  The best movie of 2013.

• Like 1

Easily the best film of the year for me. The effects and cinematography were amazing! So beautiful! Sandra Bullock was incredible and I got so emotional a number of times during her scenes! The suspense was great, I felt breathless on a few occasions.

The first shot started a little slow but built up well that I was holding my breath throughout. Then they throw in the beautiful imagery and it scary and gorgeous all at the same time. One of my favorite shots was Stone floating in a circle right after she arrived at the ISS. Just huddled up floating in a circle, I just loved it. I also really loved when Matt 'returned' that scene was one of my favorites. The end was perfect, that was all we needed and if it was elongated anymore than a quick glimpse of her reaching the safety of earth, it wouldn't have been as good.

I really happy it lived up to my lofty expectations, something that hasn't happened with any movie so far this year. Horrible pun time: the movie was out of this world!

A+

Edited by StarSaber
  • Like 2

I heard a review of his over the weekend and the reviewer said he idn't buy into Clooney's character at all in this movie, that he came across too much like Danny Ocean in outer space.. This true?? Was he a wisecracker while Bullock is clinging for her life??? :popcorn: 

Of course. Clooney is always Clooney. But he managed not to ruin the movie so I was ok with it.

• Like 1

I find it funny that Clooney actually gets little face time in this movie. We rarely see his face and when we do, he still has that helmet on, thus sometimes blurring some of his facial features. And, of course, he dies halfway through the movie. Okay, there is the dream/hallucination scene, but otherwise, very little of Clooney is actually seen in this film.

• Like 2

Wow... Simply brilliant.

I loved it despite never actually being on the edge of my seat... I've found out that Thrillers don't really have an effect on me.

Still, A+

Edited by ChD
  • Like 1

From a filmmaking standpoint, WOW. its insane. The first time shit hits the fan, i'm like HOLY FUCK. The editing, Cinematography, sound, acting, all firing on all cylinders.

Even though I love all the visual metaphors and I understand the ending and what they were achieving but I have to say I really wanted her to die. Don't get me wrong the whole movie you're rooting for her to make it, but its one of those things were I wish they had the balls to kill her.

Overall its insane and a movie that has made its mark in history. I film that will be remembered forever. It just wasnt perfect.

A-

From a filmmaking standpoint, WOW. its insane. The first time shit hits the fan, i'm like HOLY FUCK. The editing, Cinematography, sound, acting, all firing on all cylinders.

Even though I love all the visual metaphors and I understand the ending and what they were achieving but I have to say I really wanted her to die. Don't get me wrong the whole movie you're rooting for her to make it, but its one of those things were I wish they had the balls to kill her.  

Overall its insane and a movie that has made its mark in history. I film that will be remembered forever. It just wasnt perfect.

A-

I wished that, too, but I simply wouldn't have worked because you went to the movies to see her attempting to survive in space for one hour and a half for her only to die... also in space?This would work with any other movie, but with one like this, a ending like that would just leave you with the question "Why did I even bother watching this, then?" 

• Like 3

I don't think her dying makes a lick of sense. It strikes me as something that when you're young and want something "harsh" or "brutal" or "realistic", you say you want a bleak ending... but for GRAVITY that sort of thing completely invalidates the whole story, or even the reason for telling the story.

• Like 7

Now that I've seen it I can chime in with my thoughts. It's a real ride, not only because of the immersive 3D, but also because of Cuaron's looong takes - first exterior and then moving ever closer to her face. I never understood the cuts-per-second competition that seems to be the rage among action directors and Gravity is a perfect example of how intimate and gripping you can shoot a movie by staying on target. Also, you need to choreograph those action sequences a lot better - sure, it would be cheaper to shoot 60 1-second-bits of debris in space, but the one minute step-by-step destruction of the ISS is so much better.

I wouldn't say it's the best 2013 movie so far (that would be Rush for me, atm) but it's the best theater experience since I don't know when. Avatar, probably. :ph34r:

Alfonso Cuaron's Gravity is a gripping thriller that manages to pull you in (the tagline of the movie is Don’t Let Go). Gravity is a film with a short running time of 84 minutes without credits that moves at a quick pace, and managed to scare me more than most recent horror movies. The film is real, and it’s not afraid to show that.

The plot follows Dr. Ryan Stone (Sandra Bullock), a bio-medical engineer, who is on her first shuttle mission with veteran astronaut, Matt Kowalsky (George Clooney), who is on his last mission before his retirement. While both astronauts are on a spacewalk outside of the space shuttle, disaster strikes after space debris from Russia causes such a chain reaction of destruction, they have to abort their mission. Things get worse when they lose contact with mission control. Left alone with just each other, Stone and Kowalsky have to make it back to earth before they get sucked into the endless void of space.

The first fifteen minutes of Gravity, are quiet with just Bullock and Clooney talking to each other. The action kicks off when they are attacked by the space debris, as things get very intense. I haven’t seen a movie in a while that’s gripped me as much as Gravity did.

Bullock’s performance is quite good and this is essentially a one-woman show though honestly, it’s not the best female performance I’ve seen all year. She manages to convince me that she really is lost in space, and I also felt for her character. I imagine if I was drifting in space alone, I’d probably go berserk, but Bullock as Dr. Ryan Stone manages to keep her cool, and her character progresses throughout the film. She starts out in the film panicking and screaming, but by the end, she’s confident and self-assured as she tries to make her way home. George Clooney is basically playing himself, and although he doesn’t have a whole lot of screen time, he’s still fairly witty and manages to give some pretty decent one-liners.

The visuals in Gravity are amazing. The opening shot of Earth is beautiful or as the film likes to put it “breathtaking”. The cinematography by Emmanuel Lubezki is spectacular. We really get to see space and the planet. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a movie that showed space and earth quite as well as Gravity..

The 3D in Gravity is amazing. While Gravity is post-converted 3D, it’s not the usual post-converted 3D we’re used to seeing (eg. Thor). This is a film that uses 3D to its fullest. For example, when the International Space Station (ISS) explodes, and several parts of it fly at the screen, I ducked my head more than ten times, despite the fact that I was aware that it wasn’t real. That’s how intense the 3D in Gravity is and I highly recommend you see this film in its 3D format.

Gravity is an intense thriller. It’s not an action blockbuster like The Avengers, but it doesn’t need to be because it’s an intelligent, well-made movie. The soundtrack, however short it may be, is by Steven Price and is beautiful. Its runtime is short (90 minutes including credits), and it moves at a brisk pace. This is a movie I highly recommended you see.

10 / 10

Edited by Boxofficefanatic
  • Like 1

Lol if she died this movie would pretty much lose all mainstream appeal and become some small cult hit like the Grey then.

The fact they kept it more of a generic storyline keeps it together.

Watching the film the visuals are great and amazing but I think that alone to me just not justify the praise for the film. 

The storyline was rather simple and frankly I enjoyed a film like Apollo 13 far more as it has more interesting characters and a much better story.

Visuals 10/10

Story 6/10

Overall 7.5/10.

Also what was the dog barking scene that reminded of the infamous cut scene from Final Fantasy X with the crazy random laughing lol 

• Like 1

The reason why THE GREY's ending works for that story is because survival is no longer important, it's how he lives his last moments. The whole thematic through-line of the movie is how do you face death. With GRAVITY, it's that she chooses to live rather than die. The metaphor isn't about living your last moments well, it's about a spiritual (and almost literally physical) rebirth. The difference is subtle, but important. Also, note that THE GREY chooses to end on an ambiguous moment, because we don't actually need to see more (and in fact it'd ruin the ending as set up). It's not a death ending, it's an ambiguous one (and yes, I know about the end credits moment).

I'm very curious to see how ALL IS LOST approaches its story (since it and GRAVITY are very much along similar lines).

• Like 9

You are 100% correct. 

As I said though the Grey ending works as the film works towards that ending and yet a large chunk of audiences disliked the film for it.

Imagine if in Gravity they killed the character??

It would have made the film entirely pointless. 

• Like 1