Gravity (2013)  

137 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

You are 100% correct. 

As I said though the Grey ending works as the film works towards that ending and yet a large chunk of audiences disliked the film for it.

Imagine if in Gravity they killed the character??

It would have made the film entirely pointless. 

I agree. The audience is wrong about THE GREY, though. That ending is note perfect. They just expected an action film, instead of an existential survival drama.

• Like 2

I agree about the Grey.

The film was sold as as Liam Nesson Taken character vs the Wolves and he was going to kill them all in a epic final showdown.

Instead it was this rather (to me) tedious serious film. 

I think Gravity works well and it was the only really ending they could have had to make the film work. The film was about Sandra being unsure and not confident and she grows more stronger and confident and survives and makes it back to Earth.

Only some bleak nihilist would appreciate her dying at the end. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

Just curious, why did you want her to die? Why do you feel that would be a better ending?

it was just not what I was expecting. I thought it was gonna be more of a coming to terms with death drama. But for what they were trying to achieve with the there story I think they nailed it. 

• Like 2

For some reason I can see people, some people, in 50 years saying that Gravity sucks.  "Just because they invented some shots in the film doesn't make it the best film ever made."  That's my stance on Citizen Kane.  I have to admit part of the reason I enjoyed Gravity so much is because of the technical aspects of it.  The look of the film really left me in awe.  I wonder if that's what people were saying about Kane all those years ago?

• Like 3

For some reason I can see people, some people, in 50 years saying that Gravity sucks.  "Just because they invented some shots in the film doesn't make it the best film ever made."  That's my stance on Citizen Kane.  I have to admit part of the reason I enjoyed Gravity so much is because of the technical aspects of it.  The look of the film really left me in awe.  I wonder if that's what people were saying about Kane all those years ago?

maybe though CK was not just about camera/light, it was the storytelling which revolutionized film, same as, say, Joyce did for prose. apart from that, you're spot-on I think; as I mentioned in my review, Gravity isn't even among the best films of 2013 for me; but it's the best theater experience since at least Avatar. And, seeing it from the theater's pov, that's what really counts!

• Like 1

Yes I agree as well.  Gravity will probably make my top ten this year film wise, but experience wise, there is nothing like it this year.  This is a film that is like being on an amusement park ride.  You just enjoy the ride, the experience, the view and the emotions that go with it.

• Like 2

People use the term 'ride' in cinema usually to mean that you have to turn your brain off to enjoy it, but Gravity just transports you whether you're ready for it to or not. You're not allowed out of this world until Bullock is walking on the ground. 

• Like 2

People use the term 'ride' in cinema usually to mean that you have to turn your brain off to enjoy it, but Gravity just transports you whether you're ready for it to or not. You're not allowed out of this world until Bullock is walking on the ground. 

Yeah. I call the film an popcorn and adrenaline-fueled roller coaster ride in the same way that films like Star Wars, or Raiders of the Lost Ark, or Jurassic Park are.

• Like 1

I never really connect with the characters perhaps that is why I never felt on the edge of my seat...

Then again, how can you connect when you're chatting with your friends the whole time? ;)

Seriously, though, part of why I was affected is because as a parent, her back story hit me like a gut-punch. If I was younger, I'd intellectually understand why it would be this emotional wall for her, but it wouldn't affect *me* emotionally.

• Like 2

I connected much more with Clooney then Bullock and I like Bullock especially in The Blind Side and other films.

The film really hit a rough patch in the middle with the scene were Bullock wants to just die, the audience felt like asleep at that scene... then Clooney comes like Obi Wan in a dream and then the film picks up again.

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

I connected much more with Clooney then Bullock and I like Bullock especially in The Blind Side and other films.

The film really hit a rough patch in the middle with the scene were Bullock wants to just die, the audience felt like asleep at that scene... then Clooney comes like Obi Wan in a dream and then the film picks up again.

The audience fell asleep.  

:rofl:  :rofl:

• Like 2