BenedictL11

Gravity OS Thread

A huge showing in France drove this weekend’s tally. “Gravity” took in $11.8 million – 95 percent from 3D – to finish No. 1 there. It had strong second-week showings in South Korea ($5.8 million) and Mexico ($4 million), and stayed on top in both markets.

Russia, with $19 million total, has been the biggest foreign market so far, but it has several key territories to go, including the U.K. (Nov. 8), China (Nov. 20) and Japan (Dec 18).

This really saves WB from a crappy year

GREAT GATSBY, WE'RE THE MILLERS, CONJURING & even underwhelming TH3 did 

solid biz for Warner. All of those did $250M to $350M WW each. 

MoS may fall below expectations but it still did $600M WW. 

PACRIM survived. HOBBIT2 should do $900M or exceed $1B WW

There is also a small indie movie called GRAVITY.

Not a bad year for Warner.

Edited by zackzack
  • Like 2

GREAT GATSBY, WE'RE THE MILLERS, CONJURING & even underwhelming TH3 did 

solid biz for Warner. All of those did $250M to $350M WW each. 

MoS may fall below expectations but it still did $600M WW. 

PACRIM survived. HOBBIT2 should do $900M or exceed $1B WW

There is also a small indie movie called GRAVITY.

Not a bad year for Warner.

This has been an amazing year for WB.  Just because there was not Batman or Harry Potter movie doesn't mean that this year hasn't been a huge success.  In fact I'd say it's even more successful because it didn't have to rely on big budget tentpoles to do as well as it did.

This has been an amazing year for WB.  Just because there was not Batman or Harry Potter movie doesn't mean that this year hasn't been a huge success.  In fact I'd say it's even more successful because it didn't have to rely on big budget tentpoles to do as well as it did.

I think the one studio that is truly ecstatic is Universal with its reasonably budgeted DM2 doing a spectacular $900M WW and FF6 earning more than ever at $788M WW. How many franchise can do that? OBLIVION & 2GUNS solid, MAMA & ID THIEF are nice surprises. The only heartache is RIPD, truly a miserable bomb of the summer. 

LONE RANGER, a Disney heartache financially, (I think it is unfairly maligned),  is a masterpiece compared to RIPD.

Edited by zackzack

GREAT GATSBY, WE'RE THE MILLERS, CONJURING & even underwhelming TH3 did solid biz for Warner. All of those did $250M to $350M WW each. MoS may fall below expectations but it still did $600M WW. PACRIM survived. HOBBIT2 should do $900M or exceed $1B WWThere is also a small indie movie called GRAVITY.Not a bad year for Warner.

Im also speaking from potential. They lost 250-300 mill in theaters on PR,Jack and BC alone. Hangover made money sure but they wanted so much more to save the First 2 quaters.Mos Only broke even in theatersBut this fall has ofcouse been good i agree. But 1 thing is certain. Many people at WB have been praying a lot more than usual.

Im also speaking from potential. They lost 250-300 mill in theaters on PR,Jack and BC alone. Hangover made money sure but they wanted so much more to save the First 2 quaters.Mos Only broke even in theatersBut this fall has ofcouse been good i agree.But 1 thing is certain. Many people at WB have been praying a lot more than usual.

Warner's days of easy money is gone now.

HARRY POTTER franchise, the golden goose, is gone. 

MATRIX is a one time spark of creative genius. And the

HOBBITS has only 2 more $1B WW contributors.

And in order to reboot BATMAN, they need a good

5-10 year or so. The current MoS crossover is a clever

ploy to re-boot BATMAN franchise while helping SUPE

to further boost box office attendance.  I also feel that as a

director Zack Snyder has style but he doesn't fully tap into his

potentials like the Wachowskis. Smoke some weed if that helps.

Warner's franchise team is not as organized and

discipline as Pixar or Marvel. They have Nolan & his brother,

I say hang on to them like dear life. You can ask them to

shepherd other projects. I think MoS benefitted somewhat from that.

But seriously, they cannot keep re-booting superhero movies

to keep up appearances.

Edited by zackzack