A Marvel Fanboy

The Hobbit: the Desolation of Smaug OS Thread

I am suprised the first Hobbit movie didn't make more overseas than Return of the King.

Me too. I did not expect Japan drop. It dropped 80 million $ from ROTK. And it seems it had a very bad schedule in China. But even with these two markets, it had a similar behaviour to US: below expectatives. We will see what happens with second movie.

Well, if this movie has more action, that could help in China's market, no?

What I remember from Chinese forums is that this year TH1 was released next to a 200$ million local grosser and after New Year's Holiday, what it seems to not be a good date (if I wrong, correct me).

And to sell better DOS than AUJ, it is just needed to show the recent third trailer, which is absolutely awesome.

What I remember from Chinese forums is that this year TH1 was released next to a 200$ million local grosser and after New Year's Holiday, what it seems to not be a good date (if I wrong, correct me).

And to sell better DOS than AUJ, it is just needed to show the recent third trailer, which is absolutely awesome.

Sadly Chinese cinemas usually don't play trailers for foreign movies.

HOBBITS comes from a very oldish Anglo Saxon folktales & myths.Chinese loves their own myths (case in point the $200M-grossing JOURNEY TO THE WEST). Could be a tough sell but like the common wisdom here, sequels & franchise always win new audience.

Edited by zackzack
  • Like 1