BK007

All Time Sales Chart DVD+Blu Ray

According to Nielsen (where the data did not include Walmart) Avatar was #21 on the list just missing the cut for Top 20 Sellers in terms of all time units but it would have made it in terms of revenues generated.

Avatar was #21 on the chart with an index of 52 or 52% of Finding Nemo's DVD volume from its one time 2003 release.

With Finding Nemo due out next year that will probably be a monster catalog title for Blu-ray and/or DVD sales.

Pirates of the Caribbean Curse of the Black Pearl was also just behind Finding Nemo , but its been re-released at least 4 times individually. If boxed sets were included for POTC CBP it probably would be #1 beating Finding Nemo but Nielsen Videoscan doesn't combine data like that.

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/high-definition-smackdown/112109-2011-blu-ray-sales-metrics-stats-weekly-hmm-nielsen-videoscan-quarterly-rentrak-deg-623.html#post2271198

The main problem with this data is it does not include numbers from Walmart. No question Walmart numbers will change this list.

Yes. I was surprised to find out that they don't include Walmart's numbers. The same with music. I don't know why that is.

This index list looks very dubious. How do they aggregate over weeks? Is a DVD with a large advatage over few weeks higher on the list than a DVD with small sells over a longer period?

No they are the ones with all the data. For example when a re-entry enters the list again the total is updated, if they didn't know how much it sold, how could they update the total? They just don't like to make it public.

I can't help it these list look like charts to me. I think no one really knows how much this movies sold. All they have is weekly lists of how well a movie has done relative to the market. Then they compile these (giving score points or similar, christmas shopping gets more weight- what ever). A movie like AVATAR could have sold exceptional high numbers in a short time and just finishing outside the top 20 for a long time and thus scoring low chart values, while in reality having outsold all the others.

No they are the ones with all the data. For example when a re-entry enters the list again the total is updated, if they didn't know how much it sold, how could they update the total? They just don't like to make it public.

Not quite, they don't have data from Walmart which will change the list.