#ED

Weekend Estimates: Gravity - 55.5M; CWACM - $21.5M ;RR - 7.6M;

BoxOffice.com1 hour agoEarly grosses indicate that ‪#‎Gravity‬ is headed for $40M+ this weekend.1 LikeLikeCommentShareQuoteFriday Update #2: Sources tell BoxOffice that Gravity is headed for an opening north of $40 million based on the strength of early Friday grosses. That's an excellent start for the space thriller. Gravity is already beloved by critics, but now paying audiences are falling for it as well. If word of mouth explodes this weekend, then don't be surprised if Gravity hits $45 million.Runner Runner looks poised for an underwhelming debut somewhere between $10 million-$12 million. That's a poor start for a film that boasts the combined star power of Justin Timberlake and Ben Affleck.

Edited by #ED
  • Like 4

That's like the most vague estimate ever, it's probably more of a prediction at this point.

Here's the rest of the post:

Friday Update #2: Sources tell BoxOffice that Gravity is headed for an opening north of $40 million based on the strength of early Friday grosses. That's an excellent start for the space thriller. Gravity is already beloved by critics, but now paying audiences are falling for it as well. If word of mouth explodes this weekend, then don't be surprised if Gravity hits $45 million. 

Runner Runner looks poised for an underwhelming debut somewhere between $10 million-$12 million. That's a poor start for a film that boasts the combined star power of Justin Timberlake and Ben Affleck.

• Like 1

Aren't most estimates at 6PM on Friday just as vague?

Yea but there's no point trying to estimate the weekend gross based off that.  I'd much prefer just Friday numbers that we can do our own extrapolations with or comparisons to other movies.

Yea but there's no point trying to estimate the weekend gross based off that.  I'd much prefer just Friday numbers that we can do our own extrapolations with or comparisons to other movies.

This has been the norm for a while. We have been getting estimated weekend grosss based off the vague early Friday numbers for months now.

• Like 2

Runner Runner looks poised for an underwhelming debut somewhere between $10 million-$12 million. That's a poor start for a film that boasts the combined star power of Justin Timberlake and Ben Affleck.

Their 'combined star power'?

Since when can either of these two overrated nitwits open a movie? If anything, they're Box Office poison. Especially when you let them go up against Clooney and Bullock. THAT is what I call star power.

Who writes this crap?

Since when can either of these two overrated nitwits open a movie? If anything, they're Box Office poison. Especially when you let them go up against Clooney and Bullock. THAT is what I call star power.

Who writes this crap?

LOL I hope Shawn didn't write it. :ph34r:

:lol:

Who writes this crap?

Clooney is far from a box office draw.  And even though Bullock is America's sweetheart right now, imho, their star power has little to do with this opening.  This is everything to do with concept and how it looks.  

• Like 1

Why did your class go so Low on Gravity and so "high" for Runner Runner?

I don't think 17 is high for Runner Runner.  But 20 is obviously way too low for Gravity.

• Like 2

Clooney is far from a box office draw.  And even though Bullock is America's sweetheart right now, imho, their star power has little to do with this opening.  This is everything to do with concept and how it looks.  

B, it is always a combination of factors, Sabu included. The studio would have never greenlit this with a b-lister.

B, it is always a combination of factors, Sabu included. The studio would have never greenlit this with a b-lister.

Agreed.  But Clooney is not the draw some make him out to be.  

• Like 1