baumer

Putting International BO Numbers in Perspective

This was a great thread at Mojo, one of the threads I rally regret not having access to.Fellow box office loonies, please help me and others understand what it means in terms of American dollars, for a films gross in international markets. For example, jajang and some of the other Aussie posters helped ascertain that for every one dollar a film grosses in Australia, it would be equivalent to about ten dollars in NA. So for a film to make 30 mill in Australia, it would be like a film making 300 million in NA. The same can be said for Canada. The UK was something $6.00 to $1.00 and so on. Can anyone help with this? It's a great tool to see how films are really doing in other markets.I'm going to try and update this as best I can:Australia: 10:1China: 4.5:1New Zealand: 60:1Russia: 9:1Brazil: 13:1Germany: 9:1Italy: 11:1Japan: 5:1Mexico: 14:1South Korea: 10:1Spain: 12.5:1UK: 6:1Sweden: 35-40:1

Edited by Expendable baumer
  • Like 1

We had a huge thread for this at Mojo and it was fairly accurate. I don't think it will be that tough to get it going again, we just need some help from a few of the posters.

On average it's 10 to 1 in Australia. Different genres do perform differently here though. Comic book films tend to perform worse here. Say 8 to 1. While fantasy films perform better normally. Potter for example made 52m here or equivalent of 520m US and dark knight made 46m or around 460m equivalent. I still love the James Cameron comparisons. Titanic - 57m AU (570m equiv US) vs 600m USAND now....Avatar - 115m AU (1.15B lol) vs 750m Something tells me we like blue (unless it's part of a comic book)Always helps if there is an Australian actor in the film. + if the film is Australian......Australia - ;) 37m (370m equiv !!!!!!) -

A good number in Spain is 6 million euros. With the today's dollar-euro exchange ratio (1.34), that's equivalent to 8 million dollar. I think the mark of 6 million euros (8 million dollar) in Spain is equivalent to 100 million in US. For instance, in 2010, in US there were 30 movies with 100 million dollar or more and in Spain there were 29 movies with 8 million dollar or more. In 2009, 32 in US and 30 in Spain with the same limits. In 2008, 29 in US and 33 in Spain. They are very similar numbers of movies.Of course there are exceptions. Avatar grossed 78 million euros in Spain (110 million dollar). That would be equivalent to 1.3 billion in US. But in general it's very accurate. The next one in the ranking is Titanic with 38 million euros (44 million dollar with the 1998 dollar-peseta ratio). That would be 630 million dollar in US (very similar to second highest movie in US that is Titanic too). And ROTK, with nearly 33 million euros (39 million dollar with the 2003 dollar-euro ratio), would be equivalent to 545 million dollar in US (very similar to the third movie gross, The Dark Knight, which grossed 533)

Edited by peludo

When it comes to opening weekends, it's around 7.5:1 in Russia. The 2nd and 3rd biggest OWs are OST and SFA with just under $20 million, so I'd say $19-20 million equals US' $150 million milestone.As far as total gross, I'd say 9:1. $50 million has only been reached by 4 films so far, which comfortably puts that number next to USA's $450 million. Meanwhile there is like a dozen of huge recent blockbusters that ended up between $35m and $45m, which roughly translates to $320-420 million in the US box-office.That's a general rule, but there are undeniably exceptions, John Carter being the most recent and obvious one.

Edited by Jake Gittes