#ED

10/11 - 10/13 Wknd Est: Gravity - 44.2M; Captain Phillips - 26M; CWCM2 - 14.2M; Machete - 3.7M

Avatar did not open on a holiday weekend. Holiday period started after it? Yes

That's the point, though. Kids getting out of school for the Holidays buoyed Avatar's second weekend. I still think it would have the record, regardless, but THR did update with the correct info. Hype is hype, but still, they are correct in saying Gravity is heading toward the best second non-holiday weekend for a film that opened to over 50m.

What they were wrong about was that The Incredibles had that record. Actually, it was Monsters, Inc. with a 27.2% drop from 62.6m at the beginning of November 2001.

Edited by Accursed Arachnid!™

Is it safe to say, in a pretty great year, that Gravity is easily the box office story of the year? Also, besides Departed, is there other similar comps to Captain Phillips? I'm hoping there's a chance for 115+

Argo is comparable reviews-wise and OW wise.

I'm skeptical of Thor opening to 100m anyway. Would be nice but the last one only opened in the 60s right? I think 80-85m is a great increase for it.

I think $70m is optimistic. Don't see that much carryover appeal/anticipation from the first one and TA. Of course the trailers do show Loki whoch reinforces the TA associations.

Not a dry eye at the end of Captain Phillips. Tom Hanks is able to exude a certain degree of relatability that few actors can, but he also knows how to knock your socks off with raw emotion when he wants to. The last 10 minutes of Captain Phillips was a stark reminder of that. Hope this has a leggy run to 125m

• Like 2

I think you guys are underestimating Thor 2 a lot

General Audience may not be as nutty fanboys with everything Marvel related as we internet geeks are but they still want to know what happened to Loki after The Avengers and that alone can pull of a really strong opening weekend

Anyway, great numbers for Gravity and Captain Phillips, this is gonna be a very interesting year at the Oscars.