Impact

Due to what one critic said you thought the film was love/hated....

Okay for years I thought that these films were not liked:Fight Club

Reservoir Dogs

While these were loved:

Original Sin

Why? Roger Ebert-as well as tons of people would just use those as the basis. It was in the paper as those films being loved/hated/whatever.

I thought Erin Brokovich was disliked also.

People were disappointed with it in 2000 due to it being a superhero film, but I'm referring to critics in particular.

And I thought that some films that were disliked were liked because the ad in the paper had tons of reviews for it :P

Fight Club had defenders upon its release in 1999. James Berardinelli, who has now taken the mantle from Roger Ebert as the (living) critic I read most often, gave it four stars out of four upon its release, and he was one of the first legitimate non-print reviewers at that time.

• Like 1

Fight Club had defenders upon its release in 1999. James Berardinelli, who has now taken the mantle from Roger Ebert as the (living) critic I read most often, gave it four stars out of four upon its release, and he was one of the first legitimate non-print reviewers at that time.

Yeah, but almost every film will have a legitimate defender. FIGHT CLUB not only got bad reviews, it got incredibly harsh ones. It was really, really hammered.

I hate to drag out the Fight Club debate, but the film did get a 66 score on Metacritic. While it wasn't praised to the rafters, it wasn't really hammered in general, either. And yes, the reviews counted are from the time of its release.

Edited by Webslinger
  • Like 1