babz06

Cars 3 | 6.16.2017 | Trailer Page 14

The criticism that a film exists only to sell merchandise always feels a little unfair to me. All big-budget films need to make money, merchandising is often a part of that. Doesn't mean the filmmakers and artists involved aren't trying to make a good film.

In the case of the Cars franchise, John Lasseter has a passion for cars; his father was a parts manager at a car dealership, and he has five sons that I imagine he's shared that interest with. I can easily believe he's making these films because he genuinely wants to make them. And even though I'm not a big fan of Cars 2 myself, I have a young nephew who really loves both films as well as the toys.

He just so happens to be four years old. If Cars 2 scared him, it didn't stop him from re-watching it ten times.

• Like 4

There are many factors that go into a bad film being made and I think just calling it a cash cow is reductive. Cars 2's problems stem from a terrible screenplay that tries to mix a bizarre theme on alternative energy with a half assed and infuriating moral about accepting your friends even though they piss you off all the time.

Yeah, but that's for every movie. 4 year olds can be scared by literally anything.

Very true. A kid of a friend of mine had no problem with Cars2, but he was very scared by the beginning of Frozen where Elsa "paralyses" Anna.

24 minutes ago, ttr said:

Very true. A kid of a friend of mine had no problem with Cars2, but he was very scared by the beginning of Frozen where Elsa "paralyses" Anna.

Personally, Violet blowing up like a big blueberry in Willy Wonka freaked me the fuck out when I was 4.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Jason said:

The criticism that a film exists only to sell merchandise always feels a little unfair to me. All big-budget films need to make money, merchandising is often a part of that. Doesn't mean the filmmakers and artists involved aren't trying to make a good film.

In the case of the Cars franchise, John Lasseter has a passion for cars; his father was a parts manager at a car dealership, and he has five sons that I imagine he's shared that interest with. I can easily believe he's making these films because he genuinely wants to make them. And even though I'm not a big fan of Cars 2 myself, I have a young nephew who really loves both films as well as the toys.

He just so happens to be four years old. If Cars 2 scared him, it didn't stop him from re-watching it ten times.

I tried to explain this lots of times but everyone is stuck to their own narrative.

Cars could have been the the first Pixar movie, Lasseter was obsessed about it.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

I tried to explain this lots of times but everyone is stuck to their own narrative.

Cars could have been the the first Pixar movie, Lasseter was obsessed about it.

What are you even talking about? That's just simply not the development history of the movie.

3 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Pixar documentary.

OK, but I heard a different story elsewhere. That it really started in 1998 with Jorgen Klubien.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jim-hill/disney-cars-films_b_890538.html

I think you're confusing the Second Toy Story with the first one. They decided to make the Toy Story sequel instead of Cars.

Edited by cannastop

Just now, cannastop said:

OK, but I heard a different story elsewhere. That it really started in 1998 with Jorgen Klubien.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jim-hill/disney-cars-films_b_890538.html

I ll admit my memory could trick me since I ve seen this documentary years ago but I remember Lasseter specifically talking about how he always wanted to do a movie with talking Cars.

Come to think about it, I am probably referring to the Cars' Blu Ray bonus material.

The main idea anyway is that Cars was always Lasseter's passion project.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jason said:

And at the same time, this is the man who revolutionized the industry, made two all time classics, is responsible for masterminding the WDAS' revival, and who worships the ground Hayao Miyazaki walks on. How on earth could he have possibly thought Cars 2 was worthwhile while making it? It had to be primarily for merchandise purposes. 

42 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

And at the same time, this is the man who revolutionized the industry, made two all time classics, is responsible for masterminding the WDAS' revival, and who worships the ground Hayao Miyazaki walks on. How on earth could he have possibly thought Cars 2 was worthwhile while making it? It had to be primarily for merchandise purposes. 

Or maybe he had a vision that didn't quite come out the way he intended and they ran out of time to make it better? Or maybe he just loves cars so much that he wasn't as critical and objective as he usually is when making other films? Some combination of both?

There's an extra in Cars 2 where he provides commentary on the making of the film scene-by-scene. I haven't watched the whole thing, but from the 15 or so minutes I did watch, it was easy to tell how passionate he is about cars and some of the other ideas he put into the film (spy movies).

I'm actually pretty damn sure Disney hasn't been pressuring him to make films for merchandising purposes, the whole point of hiring Lasseter was to give him free artistic reign. It's a lot easier for me to believe that he wanted to make a second Cars film because of his own personal passion.

Edited by Jason

2 hours ago, Jason said:

I'm actually pretty damn sure Disney hasn't been pressuring him to make films for merchandising purposes, the whole point of hiring Lasseter was to give him free artistic reign. It's a lot easier for me to believe that he wanted to make a second Cars film because of his own personal passion.

it's hard to believe that when you take into account that Cars sold 10 BILLIONS in merchandising.

19 minutes ago, Goffe said:

it's hard to believe that when you take into account that Cars sold 10 BILLIONS in merchandising.

Yes, and Disney's total revenue in that time frame would have been close to $200 billion. Just putting that out there for perspective.

I'm not saying the Cars franchise hasn't been helpful to Disney's bottom line. I'm not even saying that no Disney executive has ever suggested to Lasseter that another Cars film would be a good idea. I'm saying that given all the evidence out there that he's been given free artistic reign, given all the evidence suggesting he really is passionate about cars, I think he really wanted to make Cars 2, and didn't have to be pressured to do so.

Edited by Jason