Krissykins

Weekend Numbers Oct 18-21

Is Dreamworks Animation even part of Dreamworks still? What do you mean by "spin off"?

They are separate companies. DW animation is a public company...Dreamworks Live Action is a separate company, not public and simply not run by the same people.Honestly maybe it wasn't a bad idea...no reason to saddle DW Animation with that dead weight.

Katzenberg knew where they were making their money.Well, where they could make their most money. They need to be careful, stuff like Turbo doesn't help.

Doesn't Spielberg have something to do with Dreamworks anymore? I wonder if Spielberg would have made Harry Potter at Dreamworks Animation....

Doesn't Spielberg have something to do with Dreamworks anymore? I wonder if Spielberg would have made Harry Potter at Dreamworks Animation....

Yes, Spielberg is still very much part of Dreamworks. He's got a piece of every movie they make.That's not necessarily a good thing for Dreamworks though.

Katzenberg knew where they were making their money.Well, where they could make their most money. They need to be careful, stuff like Turbo doesn't help.

DWA is hit and miss but I agree they need to be careful especially as they'll be releasing three films a year which I fear may lead to oversaturation in animation. Even though they've got costs down, they're still making animated films for $130m and the likes of Illumination, Sony and Blue Sky have been making films with more success for less than $100m. They've been diversifying with TV shows, online and live entertainment so they aren't solely relying on films to keep them afloat.

They are separate companies. DW animation is a public company...Dreamworks Live Action is a separate company, not public and simply not run by the same people.Honestly maybe it wasn't a bad idea...no reason to saddle DW Animation with that dead weight.

I wonder if Katzenberg would consider buying Dreamworks Studios so they could start doing live action family films although I imagine it'd be cheaper to establish a live Action division at DWA,

Starting next year, Dreamworks animation is going full retard with 3 movies per year in 2014,2015,2016.

The CGI animation market is getting ridiculously crowded. Pixar will release 2 movies every two year, plus Illumination + Blue Sky + Disney Animation + Sony Animation etc etc etc

Look what happened to Turbo this year ...

I wonder if Katzenberg would consider buying Dreamworks Studios so they could start doing live action family films although I imagine it'd be cheaper to establish a live Action division at DWA,

They don't need regular DW to do live action though. In fact, they'll probably go there without them. Largely off their Classic Media acquisition. Heck they are probably the only company to actually profit off The Lone Ranger cause of that.
  • Like 1