Neo

Captain Underpants | June 2, 2017

16 minutes ago, chrisman0606 said:

How will this affect Wonder Woman since they open on the same day and are about superheroes?

If both Boss Baby and Smurfs underperforms (under $80M domestic each), with a 70%+ on RT I can see a Trolls like performance for this ($45M/$150M run domestic). However I think both will survive, when WW runs out of showings at the theater the families will flock to this. $25M-$35M OW with a $80M-$120M Domestic finish.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YourMother said:

If both Boss Baby and Smurfs underperforms (under $80M domestic each), with a 70%+ on RT I can see a Trolls like performance for this ($45M/$150M run domestic). However I think both will survive, when WW runs out of showings at the theater the families will flock to this. $25M-$35M OW with a $80M-$120M Domestic finish.

Fox are pretty much dumping this and Boss Baby by the looks of it. Those are the last 2 movies under their deal with Dreamworks before DWA becomes part of Universal. Not expecting too much of a marketing push for this similar to what they have done with Boss Baby.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Fox are pretty much dumping this and Boss Baby by the looks of it. Those are the last 2 movies under their deal with Dreamworks before DWA becomes part of Universal. Not expecting too much of a marketing push for this similar to what they have done with Boss Baby.

They also dumped KFP3 and Trolls will I don't think $150M+ for BB and CU, but $100M+ seems right for both, the Boss Baby trailers have done well with audiences of films I saw in theaters (R1, Sing, and Moana).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

They also dumped KFP3 and Trolls will I don't think $150M+ for BB and CU, but $100M+ seems right for both, the Boss Baby trailers have done well with audiences of films I saw in theaters (R1, Sing, and Moana).

Yeah, I can see both doing 30M openings. This is pretty much like Rise of the Guardians which was also kind of dumped as the last movie in their previous deal.

• Like 1

Just now, grim22 said:

Yeah, I can see both doing 30M openings. This is pretty much like Rise of the Guardians which was also kind of dumped as the last movie in their previous deal.

The good thing is CU has an under $100M budget due to being outsourced.

• Like 2

Just now, That One Guy said:

Helms sounds fantastic, Hart sounds distracting.

He really does, almost exactly what I've imagined. Hart....I was hoping it wouldn't be Snowball 2.0 - it works better for a mad rabbit than a human child.

With no trailer coming with Lego Batman as most people expected there would be, this means that the next possible time for the trailer would be Boss Baby, which is just 2 months before release. Boss Baby has been running a promotion with Subway for the past month and a half, which means that external promotions for Boss Baby would have gone on for longer than the trailer to release of this movie. Fox just waiting out their Dreamworks contract by the looks of it.

• Like 1

I have a feeling this will underperform big time with no trailer with about 4 months or promotion to release, and competing against the juggernaut hit Wonder Woman, Basically Fox is screwing this movie by basically not giving a crap about it. Also I agree with @grim22.

Edited by chrisman0606

However I could see a Trolls run for this, the last big toon was Lego Batman which will end with $180M-$190M. Boss Baby and Smurfs will hurt each other, and CU will be the first toon.

• Like 1