Plain Old Tele

Thor: The Dark World (2013)

Thor: The Dark World (2013)  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

To those that have seen the film:

Exactly HOW MUCH of his own powers does Thor use in the film? How does it compare to the use of his powers in Thor 1 and Avengers?

Are Malekith and Kurse worthy adversaries? In terms of power are they bad ass in the film compared to Thor and Odin?

You can also PM me if this info is too spoilery.

*HEAVY SPOILERS* (OBVIOUSLY)

Huzzah! Now I can talk about this film while purposely ruining the Chris Evans cameo for everyone!

Anyway, great film that can easily stand up with the rest of the Marvel movies. Tom Hiddleston as Loki in particular deserves some mention. He owns that character almost as much as RDJ owns Tony Stark and he's on top form in this film, both dramatically and comedically. In particular, the scene he hears of Frigga's death deserves mention, as well as when he reveals how much it has affected him to Thor. The only scene I wasn't too fond of was his 'death scene' but that was mostly because I was convinced he wasn't really dead. Although, even though I guessed that bit, the final reveal still took me by surprise and left most of the audience in my theatre whooping.

I also should mention the fight scenes, which are a great improvement over the fight scenes in the original Thor, in my opinion.The attack on Asgard in particular is worth a mention as was the final battle. While I didn't like the very early Thor vs Malakith bits, once things started going it became really entertaining. Having all the characters constantly zapping from world to world made for a really interesting fight as well as a few comedic moments.

Speaking of fights, while I thought Malekith wasn't too interesting of a character first time I saw the film, he's really grown on me. And Kurse was just plain badass. He was one of the few characters in any movie ever who seriously convinced me that he might be unstoppable. And the way they took him out didn't seem at all cop-outish, like I feared it would be. Frigga, while pretty neglected, gets a lot more focus in this film and becomes a really badass, interesting character. Unfortunately, it's kinda offset by the fact that it's painfully obvious they were going to kill her off. That said, she gives Malekith a run for his money and her funeral scene was quite touching

However, while there's nothing I outright hate about the film, there's a lot of stuff I just found kinda average. Jane Foster wasn't much more interesting than in the last film and the film really sags in the middle, once they make it to the Dark Elves planet. While Sif and the Warriors 3 and cute, they don't really get much more to do than in the last film, same with Heimdall. Also, Odin turned into a bit of a jerkass. It's kind of ironic that the nicest he was in the film was after he's been replaced by Loki (BTW, can't wait to see how they handle that in later films). Also, there wasn't really any major outstanding moments for me, like the Avengers.

Nice to see them foreshadowing Guardians and Thanos in the post-credits scene. Benicio del Toro is surprisingly flamboyant though.

To sum up, a solid entry in Marvel's roster.

A-

• Like 6

Exactly HOW MUCH of his own powers does Thor use in the film? How does it compare to the use of his powers in Thor 1 and Avengers?

Pretty much same as.

Are Malekith and Kurse worthy adversaries? In terms of power are they bad ass in the film compared to Thor and Odin?

They're definitely worthy adversaries and, while Odin never comes up against either of them, Kurse absolutely curbstomps Thor in the only battle they have. Malekith also puts up one hell of a fight and only really loses thanks to Thor having help.

Thanks for the info!

Wow now this has me a bit more excited. So Kurse kicks Thor's ass? Awesome! That means Thor alone cannot stop Kurse? Great to hear. Shame that Odin doesn't get involved with Kurse or Malekith.

Also that doesn't sound great for me, if Thor's display of power was no greater than Thor 1 or Avengers. I was hoping he'd display more of his power versus Malekith and Kurse.

Meh. I was just not invested in anything that was happening. Which is not to say that it's bad. It goes through the motions competently, the comedy lands, the action is solid and all that stuff. But that's about it really. In that sense it might be everything that's wrong with movies right now, but that's for the historians to figure out.The effects were easily the standout. I could look at that spacey stuff all day.B

• Like 1

Entertaining, engaging, hilarious and thrilling! Definitely one of the better Marvel fare in my opinion. More later when I'm more awake!

But the Captain America cameo, all of Erik's scenes, the innovative battle scene at the end and the heart-breaking funeral scene (though not Frigga's actual death) were all highlights.

7.5/10

Good:

- Loki, obviously.

- Lots of funny moments, even though none really hit bullseye like Avengers did.

- Good action, strong effects.

- Heimdall gets more stuff to do (more Idris Elba is always a plus).

- A surprisingly creative climax.

- Fun post-credits scenes.

- Asgard feels a lot more alive than in the first film.

- The funeral scene is well done.

Bad:

- Malekeith while actually a decent-sized threat is too simplistic.

- Some scenes seem more focused on the comedy than advancing the plot, but it's toned down later in the film.

- Darcy is still annoying.

- Didn't feel affected by Thor's mother dying (we barely got to know her), even though the funeral scene after is as I said well done.

- Some confusing plot developments at times.

Edited by C00k13 Monster
  • Like 1

Liked it. About level with Thor one. The action is way better though and I especially loved the third act and the creative final confrontation with jumping between worlds. Hemsworth and Hiddleston both know their characters well enough that they can both own it as them pretty easily. The villains didn't make much of an impression, which is a shame. Some of the comedy really didn't work for me (go away Kat Dennings,) but some of it killed me. Overall it's fun. If you don't like what Marvel have been doing with these films then this really isn't going to change your mind.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 1

It's a good movie (best Marvel movie yet), but it's kinda empty. I love Thor family and their relationship (Odin is son of b!tch though), the attack in Asgard is just amazing. The villain's plan was very very silly (isn't 90% of the universe made of dark matter?), I pretty much prefer shiny Asgard over the dirty-earth-mediaval-loooking Asgard and the climax was underwhelming: bad action and too much jokes (a mini-IM3) :rolleyes:.

Thor: The Dark World B+ (80)The Avengers B+ (80)Iron Man B (80)Thor B (70)The Incredible Hulk B- (70)Iron Man 3 B- (65)Iron Man 2 C+ (55)Captain America: The First Avenger C- (45)

• Like 1

B

Pleasant watch but the script made me indifferent @ parts

Supp characters all all great but maybe there are too many?...

great humour, hilar cameo, great acting

& shirtless Chris as a bonus

Nowhere near IM3 which is still the best CBM of 2013

Not gonna repost here but wrote more w/o spoilers in the sorta kinda review in TDW thread

Edited by Leyla

What were the after credits scenes?

In the first one Benicio del Toro appears as the living manifestation of camp and is given this film's Macguffin to look after. It's supposed to be on Youtube somewhere so you can look it up

In the second one Thor returns and kisses Jane while a large ice monster chases pigeons. It makes slightly more sense in context.

Edited by rukaio101
  • Like 1

(I'm someone who didn't really enjoy IM3) 

I really, really liked the film and was pleasantly surprised. Thor is my favorite of the Avengers and really enjoyed this film. The humour was great, the acting was great, the plot was thrilling and fun. Although sometimes during the movie I felt like I was watching The Hobbit due to all the CGI. But nonetheless, great movie. 

A

Edit: Oh yeah, so disappointed with Fandral's recasting :( Really liked Josh Dallas and was looking out for his character, only to find out he was recast. 

Edited by Wormy
  • Like 3