Neo

Star Trek Beyond | 7.22.2016 | Not an Oscar winner.

1 minute ago, Mojoguy said:

Chris Hemsworth will deep six Trek 14 just like he did to Red Dawn, Blackhat, In the Heart of the Sea, The Hunstman: Winter's War, and Ghostbusters.

Talk about cursed!

09 survived him, and he was good in it, imho.  I'm hopeful ST4 will be good, and character driven.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Chris Hemsworth will deep six Trek 14 just like he did to Red Dawn, Blackhat, In the Heart of the Sea, The Hunstman: Winter's War, and Ghostbusters.

Talk about cursed!

All those movies you name make less with out him. Its all about the right role.

He would definitely help Star Trek. Plus Pine will be coming off Wonder Women too. The two Chris's should get lady interest up, plus should grab a couple marvelites too.  

• Like 2

• Community Manager
4 minutes ago, Goffe said:

do you want the next Star Trek to tank spectacularly? 

The Borg are like the most iconic Star Trek antagonists in the series. I feel like this Kirk fighting the original Borg would be exciting to see and it would be an event.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jay Hollywood said:

All those movies you name make less with out him. Its all about the right role.

He would definitely help Star Trek. Plus Pine will be coming off Wonder Women too. The two Chris's should get lady interest up, plus should grab a couple marvelites too.  

There's not going to be another JJ-era Trek at this rate of box office (sadly).  This is the one blockbuster this summer that should be doing better...

Edited by Macleod

29 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

The Borg are like the most iconic Star Trek antagonists in the series. I feel like this Kirk fighting the original Borg would be exciting to see and it would be an event.

an event for who?

23 minutes ago, The47th said:

You say that because the previous film with the Borg became the 2nd highest grosser and the best reviewed of the franchise?

you mean the movie that didn't even reach its year top 15?

1 hour ago, Water Bottle said:

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the Star Trek stuff before this reboot and I'd be hyped for it.

I want a battle between space ships, as in a fight were they win with wit, have a chance. And show more crew's work during that. Kirk tends to react a bit impulsively, in this film, if he'd known xy many are dead, getting into the fight, he'd could have shown a bit of more reactions. Including giving him back the feeling about 'his ship, his people / crew' or so. Spock doing something more active, with knowledge / ability to confuse the enemy or ... Zulu's fighting ability is established, why not use it?

This film:

I think if they would have found more of their people on that planet, so they could help repair the ship would also have been more logical.

Maybe showing it's about over a week at least or so repairing the ship, preparing,... not only ... how long? 2 days? Also, showing via energy status reports... how far away are they from the station? If sooo near,... didn't feel right to me. The alien had some nice tricks / technology in use as traps and sensors, she can use it, fight,... is already for a time there alone = I think I'd have preferred it her to being shown more experienced / older. Still not sure about the station / Kirk being so trusting over the 'female alien coming to the station asking for help. Incl. is she one of the old crew? Or from where-else / why is she working for Krall? After Kirk realising her being responsible for the death of many crew members, again a missed moment for a reaction worthy of Kirk. And again, waaay too much Scotty IMHO.

Btw, I watched TOS during it's first run (here a few years later than in the US), all live action series of that world and all films beside Nemesis. But I watch(ed) / read also a lot of other Sci-Fi series / films / books ... I am not a 'Trekkie', I prefer the shows with continuing stories over episodic story telling.

1 minute ago, terrestrial said:

I want a battle between space ships, as in a fight were they win with wit, have a chance. And show more crew's work during that. Kirk tends to react a bit impulsively, in this film, if he'd known xy many are dead, getting into the fight, he'd could have shown a bit of more reactions. Including giving him back the feeling about 'his ship, his people / crew' or so. Spock doing something more active, with knowledge / ability to confuse the enemy or ... Zulu's fighting ability is established, why not use it?

This film:

I think if they would have found more of their people on that planet, so they could help repair the ship would also have been more logical.

Maybe showing it's about over a week at least or so repairing the ship, preparing,... not only ... how long? 2 days? Also, showing via energy status reports... how far away are they from the station? If sooo near,... didn't feel right to me. The alien had some nice tricks / technology in use as traps and sensors, she can use it, fight,... is already for a time there alone = I think I'd have preferred it her to being shown more experienced / older. Still not sure about the station / Kirk being so trusting over the 'female alien coming to the station asking for help. Incl. is she one of the old crew? Or from where-else / why is she working for Krall? After Kirk realising her being responsible for the death of many crew members, again a missed moment for a reaction worthy of Kirk. And again, waaay too much Scotty IMHO.

Btw, I watched TOS during it's first run (here a few years later than in the US), all live action series of that world and all films beside Nemesis. But I watch(ed) / read also a lot of other Sci-Fi series / films / books ... I am not a 'Trekkie', I prefer the shows with continuing stories over episodic story telling.

Isn't it established that the vast majority of the crew is captured by Krall?

12 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Isn't it established that the vast majority of the crew is captured by Krall?

Do you ask because the count of the dead wasn't mentioned / no reaction... or because I wrote about a few of the crew should have been there to help to prepare? In case it's the second point, that is one of the points I think wasn't done so good. Only the main officers beside Zulu and Uhura don't get caught? ... I meant it as a detail I'd have preferred to be filmed in another way.

1 hour ago, terrestrial said:

Do you ask because the count of the dead wasn't mentioned / no reaction... or because I wrote about a few of the crew should have been there to help to prepare? In case it's the second point, that is one of the points I think wasn't done so good. Only the main officers beside Zulu and Uhura don't get caught? ... I meant it as a detail I'd have preferred to be filmed in another way.

Small nitpicks in what otherwise is a very well-done film with great effects, fun characters, and a series of wonderful homages to the original series. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Small nitpicks in what otherwise is a very well-done film with great effects, fun characters, and a series of wonderful homages to the original series. 

I disagree to all points, beside some hints about the former material, that one I can agree to.

But I am glad for you to have been able to enjoy the film so much.

4 hours ago, Macleod said:

There's not going to be another JJ-era Trek at this rate of box office (sadly).  This is the one blockbuster this summer that should be doing better...

I still think they give it another shot. I do. I know this will loose money but its a 50 year old Franchise . The movies all got great reviews, Paramount has to be honest and admit to itself they dropped the ball. This could have done another 100m WW easy if the didn't fuck up so bad. 

This is bottom tier Trek Numbers. 9 Trek films will have sold more tickets, they have a solid range to fall in. And I don't think anyone thinks we will get a better cast really or a better starting point.    They have one more on the contract, they will go through with it, I think and hope. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jay Hollywood said:

I still think they give it another shot. I do. I know this will loose money but its a 50 year old Franchise . The movies all got great reviews, Paramount has to be honest and admit to itself they dropped the ball. This could have done another 100m WW easy if the didn't fuck up so bad. 

This is bottom tier Trek Numbers. 9 Trek films will have sold more tickets, they have a solid range to fall in. And I don't think anyone thinks we will get a better cast really or a better starting point.    They have one more on the contract, they will go through with it, I think and hope. 

I'd like to believe you...