Neo

Star Trek Beyond | 7.22.2016 | Not an Oscar winner.

Is a third one really necessary after how dissapointing the second one did DOM?

But it was supposed to do so much greater than that. It feel heavily from not only ours but even expert's expectations as well.

you make it sound like STID was a flop

It was not. It may have come in under expectations both box office-wise and story-wise, but it certainly wasn't bad enough to put an end to a 50-year franchise.

(shrugs)

Because it could fall less than 200 this time? It just seems like it haven't really gotten the approval of the GA behind it, only the fans.

Even then, it's still worthwhile for Paramount.

edit: ironically, it doesn't have the full support of the fans, but it's supplanted that with a wider (albeit potentially softer) base of science-fiction/action general audience members.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 1

you make it sound like STID was a flop

It was not. It may have come in under expectations both box office-wise and story-wise, but it certainly wasn't bad enough to put an end to a 50-year franchise.

No, technically it wasnt a flop, I'm just saying its kind of iffy since domestically it didn't follow expectations. I'm guessing they are predicting bigger OS numbers.

Even then, it's still worthwhile for Paramount.

edit: ironically, it doesn't have the full support of the fans, but it's supplanted that with a wider (albeit potentially softer) base of science-fiction/action general audience members.

If they can reel in good OS numbers (like transformers seems to do, though I'm not saying anywhere near that ballpark), then I guess DOM doesn't matter all that much.

(shrugs)

Because it could fall less than 200 this time? It just seems like it haven't really gotten the approval of the GA behind it, only the fans.

Sure, and Jurassic World could had opened to 40M and struggle past 100M DOM so why bother making films at all? Investing 150M to 200M in a film always has its risks, but the ST Reboot has had 2 profitable films, and more importantly it helps keep the ST Franchise in the limelight and all the financial benefits from sales of its 50 years of content that that entails. It would be craziness to shrug and throw in the towel just because the movie made 225M DOM rather than the 300M DOM that they probably expected. It was still a successful film. And probably just as, if not more profitable than a film like Mad Max that the entire forum seems to have gotten behind as a success.

• Like 4

Star Trek Into Darkness had a severe marketing problem: mystery box. They should have said straight away Cumberbatch was Khan. They should have revealed it in the first freaking teaser. 

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 2

Star Trek Into Darkness had a severe marketing problem: mystery box. They should have said straight away Cumberbatch was Khan. They should have revealed it in the first freaking teaser. 

Well Justin Lin's last movie showed ALL the cool bits in the trailers so I guess that might not be a problem this time around.

Yeah it was weird. Nobody would had cared outside the hardcore trekie fans anyways, and the movie was aiming for the GA so why all the secrecy? The moment when it was revealed in the film that he was Kahn just fell flat in the cinema for me. I got the feeling that most people reacted just like....

aa4.jpg

• Like 2

No, technically it wasnt a flop, I'm just saying its kind of iffy since domestically it didn't follow expectations. I'm guessing they are predicting bigger OS numbers.

If they can reel in good OS numbers (like transformers seems to do, though I'm not saying anywhere near that ballpark), then I guess DOM doesn't matter all that much.

Yeah, like Spottswoode said, the ST movies drive a huge moneymaking franchise for Paramount: endless books, board games, costumes, Vegas theme attractions, the vast library of four TV series and the other movies, etc etc etc. As long as they don't start spending way over 200m on each movie, they're fine. The Abrams reboots did a good job of establishing an OS presence, and that should continue to grow (albeit on a smaller, quieter level than most of the mega-tentpoles that get all the attention). Domestically, they basically need to target a gross around what the production budget is. Anything more is gravy.

• Like 3

Yeah, like Spottswoode said, the ST movies drive a huge moneymaking franchise for Paramount: endless books, board games, costumes, Vegas theme attractions, the vast library of four TV series and the other movies, etc etc etc. As long as they don't start spending way over 200m on each movie, they're fine. The Abrams reboots did a good job of establishing an OS presence, and that should continue to grow (albeit on a smaller, quieter level than most of the mega-tentpoles that get all the attention). Domestically, they basically need to target a gross around what the production budget is. Anything more is gravy.

500M WW is the target for this one, IMO.

• Like 2

Paramount actually don't own anything Star Trek related aside from the films as CBS got control of the franchise when Viacom split from CBS almost a decade ago. I think the big reason why Star Trek hasn't returned to television is because CBS isn't interested at the moment

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

this movie has a chance at out grossing the last one. It has a July release without much competition and it has the 50th Anniversary of Star Trek to use in its marketing.

of course we have to wait and see, but I'm pretty sure it won't be a good fim without JJ at the helm, so yeah, it would never have legs to propel it over the second one. I don't think the 50th Anniversary will impact the gross that much, if at all. Edited by Goffe

of course we have to wait and see, but I'm pretty it won't be a good fim without JJ at the helm, so yeah, it would never have legs to propel it over the second one. I don't think the 50th Anniversary will impact the gross that much, if at all.

Lin is capable of making a good film, certainly one better than Into Darkness