CaptainJackSparrow

The Amazing Spider-Man 2: Record opening in Philippines and India, stabilizing elsewhere

Well, TASM has recovered well in China this weekend so 500m OS is back in play.

But domestically, things aren't looking very good. $205-210m is where I think it will finish.

Nah, it's going to hold better than Thor 2 after this weekend. $220-230M is where I see this heading. 

It's likely but not a lock and also, it's not passing TASM WW total. 

This.

It's likely but not a lock.  Gozzilla is opening on wednesday already in one 1/3 of the countries (mainly Europe), then another 1/3 on thursday (mainly South America) and then the rest on Friday (US+Canada + mainly Asia bar China and Japan).

It's good for Spidey that it will be released in June.

Edited by Ent
  • Like 1

I wouldn't be so sure about that. It's all up to next week in China. Elsewhere it fell almost 60% without competition... Remember Godzilla next weekend.

Godzilla is June in China.

Some #s.  Correct me if I have the wrong ones.

O/S total is now $403m with approx $40-50m more coming from China.  So ASM2 would need about $50m more from remaining territories for $500m O/S.

Spider-Man made $119m O/S last w/e.  $10m of that was from the Sunday opening in China.  This w/e it made $69,500,000 with approx $26m (164m y) or 38% from China.  Non China territories dropped from $109m to $43.5m - approx - 60% drop. 

So the big question is with Godzilla opening does it have $50m more left from non China territories? 

I think unless it starts dropping 70+% - yes.  But it might not make enough to compensate for the domestic decrease to match the WW total of $752m of ASM. Should be close.

• Like 3

Finishing with TASM numbers is extremely disappointing. It will be interesting to see how the change things for TASM 3. The marketing really hurt this film – I mean when the loudest criticism of your film is that it is derivative, why do you launch a marketing campaign that looks identical to past Spiderman films? It is dumbfounding to me. The poster for this film could have been used for any of the Spiderman films. 

Some #s.  Correct me if I have the wrong ones.

O/S total is now $403m with approx $40-50m more coming from China.  So ASM2 would need about $50m more from remaining territories for $500m O/S.

Spider-Man made $119m O/S last w/e.  $10m of that was from the Sunday opening in China.  This w/e it made $69,500,000 with approx $26m (164m y) or 38% from China.  Non China territories dropped from $109m to $43.5m - approx - 60% drop. 

So the big question is with Godzilla opening does it have $50m more left from non China territories? 

I think unless it starts dropping 70+% - yes.  But it might not make enough to compensate for the domestic decrease to match the WW total of $752m of ASM. Should be close.

Depends on which market.

I think it is running dry in Europe (as Godzilla is released 4 weeks after it on Wednesday) so maybe :

1) another $10M from Europe,

2) $50M in China to hit $105M,

3) $10M in Japan to hit $32M.

4) $10M in the rest of Asia 

It needs another roughly $20 million from South America to hit $500M.  Brasil is the one in a better position to make up for it as it was released there 2 weeks ago but Godzilla is hitting Brasil on Thursday. 

So it will get very close.

Edited by Ent
  • Like 3

Depends on which market.I think it is running dry in Europe (as Godzilla is released 4 weeks after it on Wednesday) so maybe :1) another $10M from Europe,2) $50M in China to hit $105M,3) $10M in Japan to hit $32M.4) $10M in the rest of Asia It needs another roughly $20 million from South America to hit $500M. Brasil is the one in a better position to make up for it as it was released there 2 weeks ago but Godzilla is hitting Brasil on Thursday. So it will get very close.

it is almost dead all over Europe but in France and the UK so maybe it could add $15m from Europe. I agree that Brazil and Venezuela could lead Latin America for another $15 or 20m. But $105m in China seems like a lot to me. Edited by Henry II of Arendelle

Depends on which market. I think it is running dry in Europe (as Godzilla is released 4 weeks after it on Wednesday) so maybe : 1) another $10M from Europe,2) $50M in China to hit $105M,3) $10M in Japan to hit $32M.4) $10M in the rest of Asia It needs another roughly $20 million from South America to hit $500M.  Brasil is the one in a better position to make up for it as it was released there 2 weeks ago but Godzilla is hitting Brasil on Thursday. So it will get very close.

it is almost dead all over Europe but in France and the UK so maybe it could add $15m from Europe. I agree that Brazil and Venezuela could lead Latin America for another $15 or 20m. But $105m in China seems like a lot to me.

If you guys are right. And considering the BO prospect of TASM2 in US atm, we could see a tight race between Cap and Spidey WW. Their totals should be close.
  • Like 2