CaptainJackSparrow

The Amazing Spider-Man 2: Record opening in Philippines and India, stabilizing elsewhere

it is almost dead all over Europe but in France and the UK so maybe it could add $15m from Europe. I agree that Brazil and Venezuela could lead Latin America for another $15 or 20m. But $105m in China seems like a lot to me.

YEP But it all depends on how those countries respond to Godzilla versus Spidey.  

Besides, France has a lot of local comedies that are doing a killing right now.

This Weekend TASM2 is around $9m over TASM in the sum of the 12 big markets. Thanks to China!!! Here is the new chart, according to screendaily estimates (I will do it again on Tuesday night using BOM numbers): 

TASM TASM2 Weekends   Year 2012 2014     Australia 17.4 13.8 4   Brazil 17.2 17.6 2   China 35.6 54.0 1   France 14.3 18.3 2   Germany 16.6 15.1 4   Italy 11.2 11.9 3   Japan 27.5 22.2 3   Mexico 27.2 26.6 4   Russia – CIS 20.7 20.1 3   South Korea 33.0 32.0 3   Spain 10.4 8.2 4   United Kingdom 37.5 37.5 4   Total 268.6 277.3  

Basicly, it's China, France and Brasil that will dictate the outcome on the overseas gross.

With no competition for two weeks (including one weekend), China is likely to add $40 to $50M depending on how people will keep on responding.

Brasil and France are the one whose progression may be hit harder by Godzilla since the other markets are already running out of steam.

Japan has a chance to add a few millions too before DOFP comes in.

The Godzilla release may also be stronger than usual if people flock en masse to see it before DOFP released the next wednesday the 21th earliest (France and Belgium).

So it could be a two punch straight for Spidey.

I beleive next weekend will seal its fate.  If it can generate enough cash while facing Godzilla cause after that, i don't see how it could generate tens of millions from those markets between Godzilla and DOFP.  

For me, it has to reach at the very least $475 M by next sunday to have a shot at $500M overseas.

Edited by Ent
  • Like 2

It was at 277 last sunday night, meaning 126m for the last 7 days.  

60% drops from here on out gives it about $485m

50% drops from here on out gives it about $530m

If this coming week is a 60% drop, then next week is 55%, then 50% from there on out it could do about $495m.  

It was at 277 last sunday night, meaning 126m for the last 7 days.  

60% drops from here on out gives it about $485m

50% drops from here on out gives it about $530m

If this coming week is a 60% drop, then next week is 55%, then 50% from there on out it could do about $495m.  

Yeah it's tough to see it miss 500m really as there should be at least some period where it stabilizes even at the low end.

Simplistically(probably erroneously) speaking, it needs 93m more after a 70m weekend and should get there despite the competition.

Anyway, 500m is nowhere enough to help it reach TASM1's ww.

I know many folks here saw it coming but I am just amazed(pun intended) at this.

Sad thing is that it's not that bad a film really. Sony's complacency/arrogance has led to this.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 2

True, but you are comparing them as if TASM1 didn't make $75m before its opening weekend. Still doing worse regardless, but worth noting. 

Yeah need to take that into account. And it makes TASM2 look worse.

TASM1 2nd weekend : 34.6m, total: 200m (added 62m more to total)

TASM2 2nd weekend : 35.5m, total: 146m

Edited by a2k

amazing how well TASM 1 held despite summer weekdays and going up against Ice Age 4. Yeah I know it was a Tuesday opener but I think it could have been worse

The weekday opening just lowered TASM OW. Both movies did $10m on their second Sunday, so they are at the same point right now. That's why the comparison is fair. Counting from this $10m Sunday TASM added $62m to its total. Let's see how TASM2 adds. It needs better weekends because weekdays are going to be lower than TASM's 

BOM numbers are here so I updated the chart as of last Sunday. TASM2 is $11.3m over TASM in the sum of the 12 Big Markets in the same period of time. But DOM TASM2 is doing so much worst than TASM.

OS TASM TASM2 Weekends   Year 2012 2014     Australia 17.4 13.9 4   Brazil 17.2 17.7 2   China 35.6 56.4 1   France 14.3 18.4 2   Germany 16.6 15.0 4   Italy 11.2 11.9 3   Japan 27.5 22.3 3   Mexico 27.2 26.7 4   Russia – CIS 20.7 20.1 3   South Korea 33.0 32.1 3   Spain 10.4 8.0 4   United Kingdom 37.5 37.4 4   Total 268.6 279.9               DOM TASM TASM2 Weekends   Year 2012 2014     DOM 146.2 200.5 2

change DOM TASM had 200,5 not TASM 2 :)

• Like 1

here, TASM2 had a godawful hold

The Amazing Spider-Man OW was 1.072.157 (in admissions) during 5 days.

TASM2 OW was 1.664.452 during 4 days

TASM second weekend was 682.176 and 2.764.650 total

TASM second weekend was 663.731 and 2.790.070 total

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

So if we substract China (because of unfair treatment of TASM), TASM2 will not grow over TASM overseas, which is pretty lame for the once most beloved SH-character.

Edited by Rudolf

Basicly, it's China, France and Brasil that will dictate the outcome on the overseas gross.

With no competition for two weeks (including one weekend), China is likely to add $40 to $50M depending on how people will keep on responding.

Brasil and France are the one whose progression may be hit harder by Godzilla since the other markets are already running out of steam.

Japan has a chance to add a few millions too before DOFP comes in.

The Godzilla release may also be stronger than usual if people flock en masse to see it before DOFP released the next wednesday the 21th earliest (France and Belgium).

So it could be a two punch straight for Spidey.

I beleive next weekend will seal its fate.  If it can generate enough cash while facing Godzilla cause after that, i don't see how it could generate tens of millions from those markets between Godzilla and DOFP.  

For me, it has to reach at the very least $475 M by next sunday to have a shot at $500M overseas.

BoxOffice ‏@BoxOffice  55sTHE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2: $460.8M Overseas Total / $633M Global Total #SpiderMan #TheAmazingSpider-Man2

• Like 1

Closing abroad with Godzilla and the upcoming Xmen DOFP and Maleficient.  I don't see it reaching $700M.

It has maybe $20 M left at best on the foreign front and needs around another $50M at home to reach it.

• Like 1