CaptainJackSparrow

The Amazing Spider-Man 2: Record opening in Philippines and India, stabilizing elsewhere

Yeah.... but after three back-to-back sub-par movies, they have ruined it. The grosses have been declining. TASM3 will gross even less.

I seriously hope they stop after that and wait at least 10 years before rebooting it.

Yeah.... but after three back-to-back sub-par movies, they have ruined it. The grosses have been declining. TASM3 will gross even less.

I seriously hope they stop after that and wait at least 10 years before rebooting it.

Sony can't wait 10 years.  They have 5 years to make a new movie and if they don't the license rights revert back to Marvel for no money.  Their only other options is to sell the rights back to Disney/Marvel and they might not be willing to pay Sony what Sony thinks it's worth. 

I am not saying the new reboot are fantastic but seriously, the best Spidey grossed $890M WW. This will end up around $700M WW, nearly 80% of the highest WW grosser. It's  still making considerable amount of money. Sony is lucky. They are losing franchises fast. They only have Bond franchise to rely on and that they have to split with MGM & the Broccolis. Will Smith is losing box office luster and Sandler is not huge overseas. Sony is in trouble when GA gets sick of Spider-Man just like Electro....

I am not saying the new reboot are fantastic but seriously, the best Spidey grossed $890M WW. This will end up around $700M WW, nearly 80% of the highest WW grosser. It's  still making considerable amount of money. Sony is lucky. They are losing franchises fast. They only have Bond franchise to rely on and that they have to split with MGM & the Broccolis. Will Smith is losing box office luster and Sandler is not huge overseas. Sony is in trouble when GA gets sick of Spider-Man just like Electro....

But that's 7 years later with ticket inflation, 3D and wildly expanding international markets.  In the U.S. it lost half it's audience from Spiderman 3 to ASM2 and 2/3rds from from Spiderman 1 to ASM2. 

A $700m+ per film franchise is a very valuable assetn but it's an expensive series that's more expensive with each film while making less.  Right now what it needs is a great or at least very good movie more than another re-boot; better writers, and a director with a passion and vision for the subject matter and hands off by the studio.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

Damn Cap 2 has a chance of beating Spidey WW gross. Who would have thought this?

I said it before the opening of TASM2, because CA2 was extremely strong and negatif WoM but 2 month ago I was stil thinking 850M WW was stil very possible.

• Like 1

Made 28m this week. 51% down from 57.5m last week.

That's very good considering DoFP opened.

Is 26m away from 515m. Will get there, and probably more.

Edited by a2k

Made 28m this week. 51% down from 57.5m last week.

That's very good considering DoFP opened.

Is 26m away from 515m. Will get there, and probably more.

$17m was from the weekdays - most probably before DOFP hit

It made $11.2m on the w/e according to Rentrak.  It dropped 66% from last weekend.  With even more competition showing up even $20m might be too much to ask.

• Like 1

$17m was from the weekdays - most probably before DOFP hit

It made $11.2m on the w/e according to Rentrak.  It dropped 66% from last weekend.  With even more competition showing up even $20m might be too much to ask.

What was the number last weekend?