CaptainJackSparrow

The Amazing Spider-Man 2: Record opening in Philippines and India, stabilizing elsewhere

From my own tracking i think that TASM2 had a great OD here.. Way higher than CA2.

Presales for Fri-Mon are also good so we are in for a great 5 day opening

Sorry I cant root for Spidey with you good buddy.. Im on the Godzilla freight train this time.. Looks good for Spidey in UK then?

Australia comparison:

TASM should do at least 1.3 for wed (not far behind but 2nd for the day to IA4) be 4th biggest opening day 2012 behind (TA,THG,SH)with the football last night, roughly post 6pm TASM business NSW/QLD 32%, compared to Vic 49%other SM openingsOD/WE/CumeSM 1.7/10.6/30.8SM2 1.6/7.1/24.4(wed OP)SM3 1.8/9.5/24.0

B level blockbuster I meant ... of course. 400m+ OS is nothing special in todays box office world, may not enter yearly top 10. (Considering 2014 is rather weak, so CA2 should get in top 10 of course).

Spiderman movies were top notch at the box office, breaking NA/OS/WW OW records in 2007, beating the shit out of Transformers. And now the latest SM movie is being compared with a B level superhero. It is already low.

In fact, I hardly consider any movie with less than 600m OS an A/global level blockbuster in todays film world.

Only 4 movies did that last year. So those that didn't aren't blockbusters? FAST & FURIOUS Vl? THG: CF? MONSTERS UNIVERSITY? GRAVITY? You are kidding me.

I am with firedeep. 400M is not blockbuster with so many expanding markets and for a movie that hit 400M back in 2002. 600M is a good benchmark. So many movies grossed more than 600M in past few years bcos of expanding markets like china.

but for a movie like life of pi numbers are blockbuster considering its genre.

• Like 2

Only 4 movies did that last year. So those that didn't aren't blockbusters? FAST & FURIOUS Vl? THG: CF? MONSTERS UNIVERSITY? GRAVITY? You are kidding me.

They Maybe blockbuster worldwide but internationally FF6, CF,MU,Gravity are not quiet A grade huge hit's oversea's they are just below this mark i think is the point.

• Like 2

They Maybe blockbuster worldwide but internationally FF6, CF,MU,Gravity are not quiet A grade huge hit's oversea's they are just below this mark i think is the point.

$600M OS is basically the equivalent of $300M domestic. I think that is a pretty high cutoff for what is considered an A-Grade blockbuster. I'd say that $500M overseas is more reasonable. 

500m os, 250m dom, 750m ww imo is the floor for tasm2.

550m os, 275m dom, 825m ww a good performance and what i expect.

600m os, 300m dom, 900m ww, the ceiling.

(of course, there can be combinations like the movie reaching the ceiling internationally and the floor domestically, etc.)

• Like 1

A blockbuster is just a big-budget movie with a good potential in terms of profits,whether they fail or succeed is not relevant.

The term was originally coined for movies that did huge business like Jaws or Star Wars. Movies that were so popular that people lined up around the block to get into evening shows. The fact that some people use it as a synonym for a big budget movie doesn't change this. 

• Like 2

500m os, 250m dom, 750m ww imo is the floor for tasm2.

550m os, 275m dom, 825m ww a good performance and what i expect.

600m os, 300m dom, 900m ww, the ceiling.

(of course, there can be combinations like the movie reaching the ceiling internationally and the floor domestically, etc.)

CAP2 & TASM2 have great chance of killing it. I fear for XMDOFP. That superhero fatigue...

Disney is smart for putting GoTG all the way in August.

• Like 1