CaptainJackSparrow

Rank the Disney movies

Top Ten Disney's Gifts

1 - Beauty and the beast ("Tale as Old as Time" dance scene - best animation/music scene ever)

2 - Frozen (Elsa's Ice Castle Building / Let it Go - best animation/music scene #2)

3 - The Lion King (Timon & Pumbaa characters - best disney's characters)

4 - 101 Dalmatians (Crudelia DeMon character - best disney's villain)

5 - Snow White (Evil Queen transformation scene - one of the best horror scene ever)

6 - The Lion King (Can You Feel the Love Tonight - best disney's song)

7 - Frozen (the Anna/Hans/Kristoff double twist - finally the prince charming is dead)

8 - Lilo & Sticht (Lilo character - best disney's child character)

9 - The Lion King (Scar charachter - disney's villain #2)

10 - Frozen (Anna&Elsa relationship - best disney's relationship)

Top Ten Animation's Gift (all animation's edition)

1 - Toy story (best animated ever)

2 - Beauty and the beast ("Tale as Old as Time" dance scene - best animation/music scene ever)

3 - Frozen (Elsa's Ice Castle Building / Let it Go - best animation/music scene #2)

4 - Toy story (Woody & Buzz Lightyear - best animation characters and relationship ever)

5 - The Lion King (Timon & Pumbaa characters - best disney's characters)

6 - 101 Dalmatians (Crudelia DeMon character - best disney's villain)

7 - Snow White (Evil Queen transformation scene - one of the best horror scene ever)

8 - The Lion King (Can You Feel the Love Tonight - best disney's song)

9 - Frozen (the Anna/Hans/Kristoff double twist - finally the prince charming is dead)

10 - Lilo & Sticht (Lilo character - best disney's child character)

999- Shrek (best overrated, overstimated, over-whatever-you-want animated ever)

• Like 1

So I've been looking at the Disney films by various eras. It's difficult to rank everything all together. Here's how I'd probably peg them, but a number of the films are ones I haven't watched in years, so they could change if I saw them again.

Golden Age (1937-42)

1. Pinocchio2. Snow White3. Dumbo4. Bambi

5. Fantasia 

Really, none of these films are bad. I give Pinocchio the edge because of how amazing the animation is, possibly being the best ever done before the use of computers.

Anthology Era (1942-49)

Not ranked, due to the fact I think I've only see one of them (Ichabod & Mr. Toad, which is pretty great.)

Silver Age (1950-67)

1. Sleeping Beauty2. Cinderella3. The Jungle Book

4. Peter Pan5. The Sword in the Stone6. Alice in Wonderland7. One Hundred and One Dalmatians8. Lady and the Tramp 

Like the Golden age, they're all very good. Sleeping Beauty gets the edge over the rest for having one of the best villains ever put in a film.

Middle Ages (1970-88)

1. The Great Mouse Detective2. Robin Hood3. The Rescuers4. The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh5. Oliver & Company

6. The Fox and the Hound7. The Aristocats8. The Black Cauldron

The first period where we actually have some films of dubious quality. The Great Mouse Detective remains a fantastic film, arguably on par with the better Renaissance films. The Black Cauldron, however, is in the argument for the worst Disney has ever done.

Renaissance (1989-1999)

1. The Lion King2. Mulan3. Tarzan

4. Beauty and the Beast5. Aladdin

6. The Little Mermaid7. Hercules

8. The Hunchback of Notre Dame9. The Rescuers Down Under10. Pocahontas 

Debates will probably rage about how the films are slotted, but the first five are among the best Disney has ever done, and all except Pocahontas are good. (And even that has nice music.)

Interval Era (1999-2007)

1. Lilo & Stitch2. The Emperor’s New Groove3. Meet the Robinsons

4. Atlantis: The Lost Empire5 . Treasure Planet6. Brother Bear7. Dinosaur8. Fantasia 20009. Home on the Range10. Chicken Little 

The post-Renaissance is very rocky. While Lilo & Stitch and Emperor's New Groove are both among the best Disney's done, many of the others have some questionable qualities, to say the least.

Reformation (2008-Present)

1. Frozen

2. Bolt3. Wreck-it Ralph4. Tangled5. Winnie the Pooh6. The Princess and the Frog 

The presence of John Lasseter as Chief Creative Officer has given new life to WDAS. So far, there hasn't been a bad film in the entire set, as even PatF is solid, if not quite fulfilling its potential.

• Like 9

Personally as a big disney fan I cant believe folks are rating Frozen so high.

Ive seen it and its a great film,  but deserving to be up  there with TLK, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast

era... Hell no

Hell yes! It expertly subverts the entire Disney princess archetype and tropes on their heads without insulting them, the songs range from excellent to really fun, probably the best character ensemble since Aladdin and the two lead sisters and their relationship is just wonderfully fleshed out. Well, maybe Elsa could have more depth but that's only because she's such a great character with immense potential. What was shown on screen was still far more characterization than your average Disney character. 

Frozen is going to age better than even some of the heavyweight Renaissance movies like BatB in pop-culture memory, I'm pretty sure of it. :) Anna and Elsa are just fantastic leads, much stronger than the likes of Belle and Simba even.

Edited by Spidey Freak of Highgarden
  • Like 5

So I've been looking at the Disney films by various eras. It's difficult to rank everything all together. Here's how I'd probably peg them, but a number of the films are ones I haven't watched in years, so they could change if I saw them again.

This might be the best way to rank them.  Impossible to compare so many great films over the decades.  I'll have to start working on my lists.

1. Pinocchio

2. Beauty and the Beast

3. Fantasia

4. The Little Mermaid

5. The Hunchback of Notredame

6. Tarzan

7. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

8. Frozen

9. Mulan

10. Sleeping Beauty

11. The Lion King

12. 101 Dalmations

13. Atlantis: The Lost Empire

14. Aladdin

15. Bambi

16. Hercules

17. Cinderella

18. Dumbo

19. Tangled

20. Wreck-It Ralph

21. Pocahontas

22. The Princess and the Frog

23. The Black Cauldron

24. The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh

25. Winnie the Pooh

26. The Jungle Book

27. The Emperor's New Groove

28. Alice in Wonderland

29. Peter Pan

30. The Rescuers

31. Lilo & Stitch

32. Lady and the Tramp

33. Bolt

34. The Sword in the Stone

35. The Fox and the Hound

36. Treasure Planet

37. The Great Mouse Detective

38. The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad

39. The Three Caballeros

40. Fantasia 2002

41. Meet the Robinsons

42. Melody Time

43. The Rescuers Down Under

44. Saludos Amigos

45. The Aristocats

46. Brother Bear

47. Dinosaur

48. Chicken Little

49. Fun & Fancy Free

50. Make Mine Music

51. Robin Hood

52. Oliver & Company

53. Home on the Range

Personally for me.

1) Frozen

2) Tangled

3) Little Mermaid

4) Beauty and the Beast

5) Bolt

I think its a lot of nostalgia speaking when we select the older disney movies. If you were to really look at the animation, the newer movies like Frozen and Tangled are so much better in terms of animation.

And I bet amongst the kids, it won't even be of doubt.

1) Frozen   >>>>   everything else. :)

Edited by Eldenfirefly
  • Like 1

Personally for me.

1) Frozen

2) Tangled

3) Little Mermaid

4) Beauty and the Beast

5) Bolt

I think its a lot of nostalgia speaking when we select the older disney movies. If you were to really look at the animation, the newer movies like Frozen and Tangled are so much better in terms of animation.

And I bet amongst the kids, it won't even be of doubt.

1) Frozen   >>>>   everything else. :)

Because as we all know, quality of animation is the only thing people take into account when ranking these films....

Seriously, I do really like Frozen, think it's a great film, but it has quite a few flaws to it and it's not as good as films like Beauty and the Beast or Fantasia.

Ehh... I love the animation in a lot of new Disney films... But go and watch Pinocchio. The animation in that is astounding. No computer help, and there probably won't ever be anything that looks like that again. It's in the argument for the best animation in any movie, ever.
  • Like 2

So I've been looking at the Disney films by various eras. It's difficult to rank everything all together. Here's how I'd probably peg them, but a number of the films are ones I haven't watched in years, so they could change if I saw them again. Golden Age (1937-42)1. Pinocchio2. Snow White3. Dumbo4. Bambi5. Fantasia Really, none of these films are bad. I give Pinocchio the edge because of how amazing the animation is, possibly being the best ever done before the use of computers. Anthology Era (1942-49)Not ranked, due to the fact I think I've only see one of them (Ichabod & Mr. Toad, which is pretty great.) Silver Age (1950-67)1. Sleeping Beauty2. Cinderella3. The Jungle Book4. Peter Pan5. The Sword in the Stone6. Alice in Wonderland7. One Hundred and One Dalmatians8. Lady and the Tramp Like the Golden age, they're all very good. Sleeping Beauty gets the edge over the rest for having one of the best villains ever put in a film. Middle Ages (1970-88)1. The Great Mouse Detective2. Robin Hood3. The Rescuers4. The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh5. Oliver & Company 6. The Fox and the Hound7. The Aristocats8. The Black Cauldron The first period where we actually have some films of dubious quality. The Great Mouse Detective remains a fantastic film, arguably on par with the better Renaissance films. The Black Cauldron, however, is in the argument for the worst Disney has ever done. Renaissance (1989-1999)1. The Lion King2. Mulan3. Tarzan4. Beauty and the Beast5. Aladdin6. The Little Mermaid7. Hercules8. The Hunchback of Notre Dame9. The Rescuers Down Under10. Pocahontas Debates will probably rage about how the films are slotted, but the first five are among the best Disney has ever done, and all except Pocahontas are good. (And even that has nice music.) Interval Era (1999-2007)1. Lilo & Stitch2. The Emperor’s New Groove3. Meet the Robinsons4. Atlantis: The Lost Empire5 . Treasure Planet6. Brother Bear7. Dinosaur8. Fantasia 20009. Home on the Range10. Chicken Little The post-Renaissance is very rocky. While Lilo & Stitch and Emperor's New Groove are both among the best Disney's done, many of the others have some questionable qualities, to say the least. Reformation (2008-Present)1. Frozen2. Bolt3. Wreck-it Ralph4. Tangled5. Winnie the Pooh6. The Princess and the Frog The presence of John Lasseter as Chief Creative Officer has given new life to WDAS. So far, there hasn't been a bad film in the entire set, as even PatF is solid, if not quite fulfilling its potential.

Good job. Love to see your favorite characters or songs from Disney.

I'm halfway there.

Current top movie: Hunchback of Notre Dame

Current worst movie: Three Caballeros

27 more to go. (I've seen most at least once before, and there is no current order in which I am watching them.)

Ehh... I love the animation in a lot of new Disney films... But go and watch Pinocchio. The animation in that is astounding. No computer help, and there probably won't ever be anything that looks like that again. It's in the argument for the best animation in any movie, ever.

Late to the party, but I just had to reply. +1 to DamienRoc's response.

The artistry and quality of animation in Pinocchio is on another level. The films of the so-called "Golden Age" of Disney Animation are really pretty much unparalleled in with respect to visuals. Dumbo falls a bit short in terms of artistry and craft, but still has some great character animation and the impressive Pink Elephants sequence going for it. But Snow White, Pinocchio, Bambi, Fantasia....The quality of the visuals presented in these films is no doubt something that animators and designers today aspire to.

And while the post-Lion King Renaissance films started to fall apart a bit in terms of characters and storytelling, I really think the artistry and animation reached a third peak (after the "Golden" and "Silver" Ages) during this period. Pocahontas and Hunchback are breathtakingly gorgeous, Mulan and Hercules find beauty in their simplified and minimal approach, and Tarzan gave us some of the most exhilarating action scenes I've ever seen thanks to Disney Animation's introduction of Deep Canvas and Glen Keane's amazing work that took the animation of human anatomy to the next level.

From a visual standpoint, Tangled is one of my favorite CG films. The character animation is glorious (no doubt due to Glen Keane's influence), the lighting work is lovely, and what they were able to achieve with Rapunzel's hair is really quite astonishing. Still, I can't at all say that it has any real edge over a good chunk of the Disney films that came before it in terms of animation.

Edited by celticmoon

Seen 34.

Current Top 5.

1. Hunchback of Notre Dame

2. Treasure Planet

3. Aristocats

4. Brother Bear

5. Winnie the Pooh

Still To See/Rewatch

Snow White, Dumbo, 101 Dalmatians, BATB, Aladdin, Lion King, Pocahontas, Tarzan, Dinosaur, TENG, Atlantis, Lilo & Stitch, Chicken Little, Meet the Robinsons, Bolt, Princess and the Frog, Tangled, Wreck It Ralph, Frozen

Top Ten Disney's Gifts 999- Shrek (best overrated, overstimated, over-whatever-you-want animated ever)

Shrek is love, Shrek is Life, man. Don't say stuff like that. I don't want to hear in the news about yet ANOTHER guy who got filled with Shrek's love and then died the next morning.

Classics

01. Sleeping Beauty
02. The Hunchback of Notre Dame
03. Fantasia
04. The Little Mermaid
05. Beauty and the Beast
06. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
07. Bambi
08. Alice in Wonderland
09. Dumbo
10. Aladdin
11. Cinderella
12. 101 Dalmatians
13. The Lion King
14. Frozen
15. Pinocchio
16. Peter Pan
17. Tangled
18. Lady and the Tramp
19. The Sword and the Stone
20. The Jungle Book
21. The Three Caballeros
22. Winnie the Pooh

Good

23. Tarzan
24. Wreck-It-Ralph
25. Lilo & Stich
26. The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
27. The Rescuers Down Under
28. Mulan
29. Fun & Fancy Free
30. Big Hero 6
31. The Emperor's New Groove
32. Pocahontas
33. The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad
34. Hercules 
35. The Great Mouse Detective
36. Oliver and Company
37. Chicken Little
38. Fantasia 2000

Okay

39. Melody Time
40. The Princess and the Frog
41. Bolt
42. The Rescuers
43. Saludos Amigos
44. The Fox and the Hound
45. Treasure Planet
46. Meet the Robinsons
47. The Aristocats
48. Make Mine Music
49. Dinosaur
50. Home on The Range
51. Brother Bear

As bad as it gets

52. The Black Cauldron
53. Atlantis
54. Robin Hood

Masterpiece: 

1.Beauty and the Beast

2.The Lion King

3.The Little Mermaid

4.Tangled

Amazing:

5.The Emperor's New Groove 

6.Mulan

7.Big Hero 6

8.Tarzan

9.Wreck-it Ralph

Awesome: 

10.Frozen

11.Robin Hood

12.Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

13.Pocahontas

14.Aladdin 

15.Meet the Robinsons

16.Cinderella

17.The Jungle Book

18.The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh

Really Good:

19.Chicken Little

20.Peter Pan

21.Alice in Wonderland

22.Lilo & Stitch

23.The Rescuers

24.101 Dalmatians

25.Lady and the Tramp

26.Atlantis: The lost Empire

27.Winnie the Pooh

28.The Fox and the Hound

29.Pinocchio

Good:

30.Bambi

31.The Great Mouse Detective

32.Oliver and Company

33.Bolt

34.The Princess and the Frog

35.Sleeping Beauty

36.Fantasia

37.The Aristocats

38.The Sword and the Stone

39.Hercules

Okay:

40.Treasure Planet

41.The Hunchback of Notre Dame

Meh: 

42.Melody Time

43.Fun & Fancy Free

Bad:

44.Brother Bear

45.Dumbo

Edited by Kalo

I'll have to think about this. For now, here's my top 10:

10. Fantasia

9. The Litle Mermaid

8. Alice in Wonderland

7. Frozen

6. Aladdin

5. Pinocchio

4. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

3. The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad

2. The Three Caballeros

1. Beauty and the Beast

Edited by Sir Tiki

Golden Age (1937-1942)

1. Fantasia- A+

2. Bambi- A+

3. Pinocchio- A

4. Dumbo- A-

5. Snow White and the Seven Dwarves- A-

Anthology Age (1942-1949)

Haven't seen many of them in full so I really can't say much. The only one I ever saw was The Adventures of Ichabod & Mr. Toad (Which is Great if you were wondering). Peter and the Wolf (Make Mine Music!) was pretty great. I remember watching it in music class in my elementary years and loving it a lot. The Johnny Appleseed short (Melody Time) is also really great too.

Silver Age (1950-1967)

1. Peter Pan- A-

2. The Jungle Book- A-

3. Lady and the Tramp- B

4. The Sword in the Stone- B

5. Alice in Wonderland- B

6. One Hundred and One Dalmatians- B-

7. Sleeping Beauty- C+

8. Cinderella- C+

Dark Ages (1970-1988)

1. The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh- A+

2. The Great Mouse Detective- A

3. Robin Hood- B+

4. The Fox and the Hound- B+

5. The Aristocrats- B-

6. Oliver & Company- C

7. The Rescuers- C-

8. The Black Cauldron- D

Renaissance (1989-1999)

1. Beauty and the Beast- A+

2. Aladdin- A

3. The Lion King- A-

4. Tarzan- A-

5. The Rescuers Down Under- B+

6. The Hunchback of Notre Dame- B+

7. Mulan- B

8. The Little Mermaid- B

9. Hercules- B-

10. Pocahontas- C+

Interval Era (1999-2008)

1. Lilo & Stitch- A-

2. Fantasia 2000- B+

3. Treasure Planet- B+

4. The Emperor's New Groove- B+

5. Bolt- B

6. Meet the Robinsons- B

7. Dinosaur- B-

8. Brother Bear- C+

9. The Wild- C+

10. Atlantis: The Lost Empire- C

11. Chicken Little- D+

12. Home on the Range- D-

Reform (2009-onward)

1.Wreck-it Ralph- A

2. Frozen- A-

3. Big Hero 6- A-

4. The Princess and the Frog- B+

5. Tangled- B+

6. Winnie the Pooh- B-

Edited by Ackerman Master Race

Yeah, I have to agree with the age ranking; 54 films is just hard but I'll try -- ranking in blue. Films I didn't see are not ranked.

Golden Age (1937-1942): Ahh, this is hard, these are all FANTASTIC!

1. Fantasia 4.

2. Pinocchio 6.

3. Snow White and the Seven Dwarves

4. Bambi*

5. Dumbo*

Anthology Age (1942-1949):

Oops, haven't see any of these.

Silver Age (1950-1967):

1. Sleeping Beauty -- Loved the art in this one! 2.

2. One Hundred and One Dalmatians 7.

3. The Jungle Book

4. Alice in Wonderland

5. Peter Pan

6. Lady and the Tramp

7. Cinderella -- this is actually one of my least favorite "classic" disney animated film.

8. The Sword in the Stone*

Dark Ages (1970-1988): I can't remember any of these well, no wonder it's called the dark ages.

1. The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh*

2. The Aristocats*

3. The Fox in the Hound*

Renaissance (1989-1999): This era is really defined by its music, especially Mr. Alan Menken (denoted by ^)!

1. Beauty and the Beast^ 1.

2. Aladdin^ 3.

3. The Lion King 5.

4. Hercules^ 10.

5. Mulan 11.

6. The Little Mermaid^ 12.

7. Pocahontas^

8. Fantasia 2000

9. Tarzan

10. The Hunchback of Notre Dame^*

Interval Era (1999-2008): Uhhhhh -- oh boy, this era is super questionable. Let's forget it.

1. Meet the Robinsons

2. Atlantis: The Lost Empire*

3. Bolt

4. Dinosaur*

5. Lilo & Stitch*

6. Treasure Planet*

7. The Emperor's New Groove

8. Brother Bear*

9. Home on the Range*

10. Chicken Little

Reform (2009-onward):

1. Tangled^ 8.

2. Frozen 9.

3. The Princess and the Frog

4. Wreck it Ralph

5. Big Hero 6

6. Winnie the Pooh

* Ranked low because memory of these films are fuzzy, could be ranked higher on repeat watch.