iceroll

Noah OS Thread

Russell Crowe's 'Noah' Banned in Indonesia http://j.mp/1gUT1Nx 

That article is kinda misleading though. According to articles from local media, Noah was banned in Indonesia not because of the depiction of Noah, but more because of the content. The same reason why it's generating controversies in America. The censorship board saw the movie, noticed some differences from what's written in the Qur'an AND the Bible, and decided it's bad for us. So they banned it. That really sucks. Why don't they just let us decide ourselves? We're not stupid. If it's not good than people won't see it anyway.

This article from Time seems to be more accurate. It notes that The Passion of the Christ was released in Indonesia even though Jesus is also considered a prophet.

Ah yes. That's the accurate one. The Passion of the Christ was not only released in Indonesia, but is also broadcasted on local TV at Easter almost every year. And, Son of God is playing at the theaters too right now. So I'm sure the depiction of Noah is not the problem.

Edited by catlover

Obviously, in Germany and Austria, it will be released only in 3D. This sucks ... I was really looking forward to it but now I'll have to wait for the BD :unsure: - have already written an angry letter to UPI; that's really cashgrabbing, and especially grating with one of the most visionairy directors working today :( .

Noah earned $36.2 million from 7,565 locations in 53 marketsmarketsPosted Image over the weekend, bringing its overseas cume up to $162 million. The Biblical epic has grossed $246.7 million worldwide. The film opened in 8 new territories, including France, Italy, Belgium, Netherlands and Thailand.

Noah edged out Rio 2 for the top spot in France after grossing $3.9 million from 568 sites. The film took a $3.7 million bow from 400 locations in Italy to reach the top spot in the market.

Hold overs perofrmed exceptioally well for Noah this weekend. Brazil led the way with $5.1 milliom from 490 cinemas on it second weekend, a 45% slide from its debut to brings its local cume up to a healthy $17.6 million. The UK earned $2.9 million from 478 sites to reach a $10 million total in the market. Russia posted a $2.3 million take from 819 locations in its third frame to reach a $31.2 million cume. Other top weekend holds include strong showings in Germany ($2.1M Weekend / 520 Screens / $6.1M Cume), Spain ($1.6M Weekend / 334 Screens / $5.5M Cume), and Turkey ($1M Weekend / 240 Screens / $3.6M Cume).

• Like 2

Don't know how the Japanese would receive this. But they themselves have experienced disastrous flooding throughout history. They might shun this movie because of the trauma. China however loves large scale adventure movies. This may do well over $350M WW if it opens in China. NOAH will do at least $30M in China alone. 2012, a large scale disaster movie did $68M. While NOAH may not do that kind of number, Chinese audience historically added large bonus to mediocre but action-packed movies: GIJOE2, NEED FOR SPEED & EXPENDABLES 2. 

Don't know how the Japanese would receive this. But they themselves have experienced disastrous flooding throughout history. They might shun this movie because of the trauma. China however loves large scale adventure movies. This may do well over $350M WW if it opens in China. NOAH will do at least $30M in China alone. 2012, a large scale disaster movie did $68M. While NOAH may not do that kind of number, Chinese audience historically added large bonus to mediocre but action-packed movies: GIJOE2, NEED FOR SPEED & EXPENDABLES 2. 

Noah could easy do 50m in China (with good marketing effords..), this year every movie makes lots, and lots of money in china.

• Like 1

Huh? You were the one calling it a bomb in the Italy thread...

It's right. I said that it was a bomb, basing on number of screens (800 is a very big number for Italy), if it grossed less than 3M$ in opening weekend. Well, It did 3,7M$, so i called a so-so start. Since I limit myself to comment on the data and I do not cheer for any movie (except Frozen), I'm impressed by the great start of 2nd week, and basing on this number I predicted a Easter 4-days weekend more big than opening.

It's right. I said that it was a bomb, basing on number of screens (800 is a very big number for Italy), if it grossed less than 3M$ in opening weekend. Well, It did 3,7M$, so i called a so-so start. Since I limit myself to comment on the data and I do not cheer for any movie (except Frozen), I'm impressed by the great start of 2nd week, and basing on this number I predicted a Easter 4-days weekend more big than opening.

Yesterday was Holiday in Italy?