ChD

Live By Night | Christmas Day limited release, wide release on 01/13/17 | Ben Affleck/Warner Bros. New trailer on page 8

4 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

It's weird that it was supposed to come out in October 2017 (and yes him being in Justice League, etc, had a part in that) only to be released almost a year before that, I guess test screenings went well, so WB decide to push forward. Maybe they rushed it a bit in the end? maybe WB wanted it shorter (they love Ben though, so who knows)? 

I'd say we'll definitely an extended cut on BD, The Town had one (which is superior to the TC), Argo too (less footage, but welcome one).

They probably wanted to make it look like they were trying to make it look an awards contender and there was no need to hold on to a completed movie for more than a year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

I think WB are giving these film makers waaay too much free reign to do what they want resulting in them requiring to cut down the movie in the editing room because the film makers wanted to do a long movie.

No one plans the length of a movie beforehand. You try to get a rough idea based on page count, but that's a pretty flawed metric and sometimes it's really off. 

• Like 3

bapi, you're being a real ass here, we get it that you're against this movie. And @filmlover, I can see it, there was already speculation on every front, but October 2017 would have still been awards season. I'm just saying that the test screenings going on when the film was supposed to be released more than a year later were a weird thing considering how early they were, so maybe WB felt they needed to push it for this year, and ended up rushing it. 

Now, maybe the film is great, I'm excited as hell to see it, and every director stumbles from time to time, even Scorsese, even Spielberg, but seeing Ben's first three films, it just doesn't look right to me. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

No one plans the length of a movie beforehand. You try to get a rough idea based on page count, but that's a pretty flawed metric and sometimes it's really off. 

I know you would grace my post with your industry insight. ;)

Yea I know that a movie's length isn't something that is determined beforehand but a longer script can result in a longer movie in the end. Let me know if I got that right. :P

• Like 1

It seems like Affleck's performance is one of the movie's biggest problems.

Can we all just agree that he'll never get an acting nomination? He's never been highly regarded as an actor throughout his entire career and that perception won't be changing any time soon.

• Like 3

Ben is a solid actor, his latest performances have been very well received, he also got a lot of love for Hollywoodland awards wise. He's never been better imo. Then again, I think it's okay to admit that he doesn't as expressive a face as his brother Casey for example. It's kind of unfair that way, because at the end of the day, you can be a great actor, but you're always be limited by your physical appearance. 

The Town was also one of his best performances, I only saw two reviews saying his performance in LBN is just fine, it's also possible that his performance can suffer when he's got that kind of dense source material. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Ben is a solid actor, his latest performances have been very well received, he also got a lot of love for Hollywoodland awards wise. He's never been better imo. Then again, I think it's okay to admit that he doesn't as expressive a face as his brother Casey for example. It's kind of unfair that way, because at the end of the day, you can be a great actor, but you're always be limited by your physical appearance

So you're saying he's a great actor who can't emote because of his face? :huh:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

I think Batfleck is hilarious and all but the idea that so many people think he was legitimately good in that movie/role is so bewildering to me.

The fact that lots of people said Affleck was one of the best thing of BvS is pretty telling yeah.

4 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Jesse was a perfect Lex Luthor, read the comics. I saw Guardians of the Galaxy yesterday and was laughing so hard at Lee Pace and Karen Gillan hamming it up yet nobody talks about it. I will never understand this obsession with trashing DC movies in this forum.

Eisenberg was fab and definitely better than those two, I agree.

• Like 3

The reviews though aren't THAT bad, but I wonder if WB knew this won't be an oscar movie at all why they didn't do what Paramount did with Shutter Island. I'm not saying it would make as much as Shutter Island did, but it probably would make more as a big studio release opening wide from the start at one of the barren weekends of Jan-Feb 2017 than it will as a failed oscar-bait.