ChD

Live By Night | Christmas Day limited release, wide release on 01/13/17 | Ben Affleck/Warner Bros. New trailer on page 8

35 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

He was still so beautiful it almost didn't matter.  Levinson worked around it a bit by shooting young Hobbs mostly in moonlight, shadows and golden sunsets.  Marlena Dietrich though would have demanded the addition of Vaseline on the camera lens and some gauze thrown over it. 

Yeah, although one thing you miss is the visual feeling of the passage of time. Of course it was impossible back then, but to go from a young, pristine Redford to his older, craggier self would've been quite a whammy.

• Like 1

To clarify, and it is all in this thread from the start, is that I heard way back in May from someone with WB that a cut of the movie played really well for the executives.  Not long after they announced they were moving it up from October to January.  That is usually a great sign that the studio loves the movie and has confidence in it.  Then as expected they gave it an Oscar qualifying run.  All of that added up to thinking the studio considered it an Oscar contender.  

Now that the reviews are out, this obviously isn't the case, but every single sign was there that they thought it was and even put it in The Revenant slot.  Disappointed to hear it is mixed.  

• Like 6

8 hours ago, filmlover said:

Man, the end of the year has produced so many critical duds from talented people. Collateral Beauty, Passengers, Assassin's Creed, now this. Just goes to show you can't win them all.

Don't forget the two-time Oscar Best Director winner, Ang Lee. It is a bad year for the supposedly good directors. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

To clarify, and it is all in this thread from the start, is that I heard way back in May from someone with WB that a cut of the movie played really well for the executives.  Not long after they announced they were moving it up from October to January.  That is usually a great sign that the studio loves the movie and has confidence in it.  Then as expected they gave it an Oscar qualifying run.  All of that added up to thinking the studio considered it an Oscar contender.  

Now that the reviews are out, this obviously isn't the case, but every single sign was there that they thought it was and even put it in The Revenant slot.  Disappointed to hear it is mixed.  

Was that cut the suits loved that same final cut or another one? Or is it a "WB loved the 3 hour cut for BvS and proceeded to have it torn to shreds for release" thing? Considering the studio, I wonder. 

12 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

"A year ago I had a fantastic version of this..."

Well, lately, it seems like it's becoming more & more of a thing, and especially with Warner Bros. Hell, all the reviews' main complaint is that the film rushes through too many things, and it's a known fact that Eastwood and Titus Welliver (that Affleck loves, done his four films with him) were cut from the film, I wonder how much Ben cut from the film. 

On 22/12/2016 at 1:22 AM, tribefan695 said:

The moral here, which has become all the more apparent after the Rogue One commotion, is rumors are just that.

No I'm sorry but rumours have been more accurate than not lately. Rumours never stayed rogue one sucked, just that it was getting reshoots. They said civil war would be great, suicide squad would be a mess and apocalypse would disappoint. They even told us of TFA's plot a year prior to release. 

• Like 1