ChD

Live By Night | Christmas Day limited release, wide release on 01/13/17 | Ben Affleck/Warner Bros. New trailer on page 8

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

Told you guys back in May that this was going to get a limited release for an Oscar run.  Also have heard that WB loves it and it is very good.  

The budget is $110m which is pretty high for a gangster film but I guess WB must think it'll be successful awards wise and box office wise. 

25 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The budget is $110m which is pretty high for a gangster film but I guess WB must think it'll be successful awards wise and box office wise. 

See it this way, I think Live by Night at worst will do Miss Peregrine's numbers ( which is also 110 mil budget). In that case, it won't make a big profit but it will at least be in the black and serve the purpose of keeping their golden boy Ben Affleck pleased. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The period setting probably played a part in that with the sets/costumes.

American Gangster in 2007 had a $100 million budget, but that at least had the Denzel/Crowe duo headlining.

19 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

The period setting probably played a part in that with the sets/costumes.

American Gangster in 2007 had a $100 million budget, but that at least had the Denzel/Crowe duo headlining.

Affleck as actor and director probably got at least 20m for this gig.

A-List directors can get 10m a pop and Affleck is an A List director to me.

14 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Affleck is playing Batman and directing The Batman because Warner Bros. will green light anything he wants going forward.  

I don't think so, he s doing Batman because he wants to.

He was already a two-time oscar winner, a reputed director and one of the most famous actor of his era before taking the Batman gig.

It s not like he would have stuggled to get director s gigs without the Bat, he s well established in Hollywood, knows plenty of producers in town.

Plus the Batman gig will be a time consuming one.

Edited by The Futurist

46 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

He was already a two-time oscar winner, a reputed director and one of the most famous actor of his era before taking the Batman gig.

It s not like he would have stuggled to get director s gigs without the Bat, he s well established in Hollywood, knows plenty of producers in town.

I of course think he wants to on some level, but he is the replacement for Clint Eastwood at Warner Bros. now.  He gets his pick of anything he wants.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

While I wouldn't say they're doing this for Batman...

This movie got its budget certainly cause...WB likes Affleck.  Batman is part of it.  He won them a fucking Oscar is another.  It's all part of the why though.  WB will want to keep him happy.

That being said no studio just green lights anything.  Let's not get carried away.  That Ben Affleck reads the phone book while taking a shit surrounded by 100m dollars burning movie?  They probably wouldn't greenlight that.  Mostly cause, who has a phone book?  Besides Tele.

Edited by kowhite
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

I of course think he wants to on some level, but he is the replacement for Clint Eastwood at Warner Bros. now.  He gets his pick of anything he wants.  

Meanwhile WB is giving Nolan $20m upfront plus 20% of the gross on a WW2 movie that doesn't feature any American characters. Affleck is in a good spot but I don't think he has Nolan type leverage.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Meanwhile WB is giving Nolan $20m upfront plus 20% of the gross on a WW2 movie that doesn't feature any American characters. Affleck is in a good spot but I don't think he has Nolan type leverage.

Affleck/Eastwood=Oscar

Nolan...

ps:I LOVE Nolan.

Edited by efialtes76

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Lots of money for the studio. Hence why he's getting paid better than any director at the studio.

Yep but you can't compare big budget films like Interstellar,TDK trilogy or Inception with small movies like The Town or Argo.

Edited by efialtes76

1 minute ago, efialtes76 said:

Yep but you can't compare big budget films like Interstellar,TDK trilogy or Inception with small movies like The Town or Argo.

If we're talking about greenlighting properties, it's one thing for a studio to say they are fine greenlighting every $50m (or less) project you bring to them. This has been the case with Eastwood. He doesn't really play in the same sandbox that Nolan does as far as the budget goes. It's another thing for a studio to say they are happy to greenlight megabudget ($150-200m) original projects and give you a crazy salary payout on said project to boot. Nolan has them by the balls until his films start flopping.

• Like 2

I wonder why it took them so long to give this a qualifying release instead of letting everyone assume they were dumping it in January. Maybe they didn't want to seem too extreme since it was supposed to come out in October of next year? Perhaps they realized there's no point in holding onto to the film until the next Oscar race when it's already finished, MPAA rating and all.

That said, I think the prospects for this will be closer to The Town than to Argo (although The Town was most likely #11 that year and would've made the cut if not for Winter's Bone). All three of Affleck's movies have gotten acting nominations, all in the supporting categories, so I'm curious as to who to put in. Cinematography nom should be a given and maybe Costumes too.