RichWS

Ten Years Ago This Week!

Posted Image

Opened: 11/7/03

RT: 63%

10 years to the day since this one came out, and I hadn't seen it in a long time. I remember enjoying it, although it's "classic" status seemed a bit much. After giving it another look, I really don't think that "classic" label is warranted but I understand why it has it. It's pure cotton-candy of a movie. There are plenty of things to quibble about: The editing is fairly messy, many of the stories simply aren't giving enough screen-time to develop properly, Richard Curtis' odd obsession with fat jokes about women. Despite that, I couldn't hate on it. It has enough spark to just get over its flaws.

On the other hand, my girlfriend was watching it for the very first time and she HATED it. I understood where she was coming from, but I gave it a pass.  :lol:

I'll go 6/10.

Posted Image

Opened: 11/7/03

RT: 84%

Elf also turns 10 today! I'm planning on a re-watch during the weekend. I've probably seen it every year since its release so there's no real rush.

Both films get a major pass for being funny and charming - Elf moreso than Love Actually because it's more focused and 45 minutes shorter.

That said, they've both held up a hell of a lot better than The Matrix Revolutions. And while we're on that topic, watching Elf ultimately outgross The Matrix Revolutions had to be one of the more shocking box office events in 2003.

This thread needs updating!  :P

Not even thinking about the fact that it just celebrated its ten-year anniversary, I was talking about Master & Commander with some friends on Friday, specifically in response to why it never got a sequel despite the abundant source material yet to be adapted. It's understandable when one looks at the finances - the first one had a massive $150 million budget, and made an unspectacular $211 million worldwide - but the source material is there and the movie did nab 10 Oscar nominations. I'd certainly pay to see a sequel, even though the chances of it being a financial success are minimal.

Top 10 (adj) ten years ago:

(millions)

Cat in the Hat - $51.169

Gothika $25.750

Elf - $24.986

Master and Commander - $20.310

Love Actually - $11.540

Matrix Revolutions - $9.39

Brother Bear - $7.138

Looney Tunes - $5.627

Scary Movie 3 - $4.186

Radio - $3.495

Edited by lilmac

Finally re-watched Elf this weekend. What else can be said? 8/10

Posted Image

Release date: 11/14/03

RT: 85%

Keeping this one short: I was a few days late giving this one another watch. I know this one has a considerable fanbase, but having not seen it in years I forgot just how fantastic it really is. It oozes with authenticity, the running time flies by, and Crowe gives a true movie star performance. Count me among those disappointed that it didn't get a sequel.

9/10

Posted Image

Release date: 11/21/03

RT: 10%

I got 40 minutes in. What do you want from me? That was MORE THAN ENOUGH of the unbearable Mike Myers and life's just too short.

Whatever/10

• Like 1

Can you try posting names with them? Because the pictures keep not appearing for me, for whatever reason.

That said, I can tell the Russell Crowe one is Master and Commander and I'm guessing the Mike Myers one is Cat in the Hat?