Neo

Point Break | December 25, 2015 | China Release on December 3rd, 3 weeks before the US.

Point Break is a classic.

Point Break and Near Dark are two of the more "under-appreciated" films from that era that have actually remained unseen by the folks that should love them, despite the fact that they weren't low-grade stright-to-video junk or anything like that.

Interestingly enough, both of those films were directed by Kathryn Bigelow (who I still think, going by those two films and her phenomenal Strange Days, would've been a great choice to direct Wonder Woman).

Edited by cochofles
  • Like 1

Interestingly enough, both of those films were directed by Kathryn Bigelow (who I still think, going by those two films and her phenomenal Strange Days, would've been a great choice to direct Wonder Woman).

She had a Good Teacher, hugely involved in both Point Break & Strange Days (which was a colossal flop in its time).

They were both a bit crazy.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

She had a Good Teacher, hugely involved in both Point Break & Strange Days (which was a colossal flop in its time).

They were both a bit crazy.

You could tell that JC was involved.

Big, well-choreographed set pieces, splashy bursts of visually dazzling action, and a kickass woman in a substantial role.

Angela Bassett is incredible in this movie!! I wanted to be her when I first saw this...

To think that, in an industry that rarely writes action-heavy roles for women, period, action-heavy roles for women of color are all but non-existent. Bassett in Strange Days is the kind of galvanizing film presence that you truly believe knows how to fight, use weapons, and kick ass.

I HATE how Hollywood underutilized Bassett's talent for the most part.

By the way, has there been any JC film in which a woman doesn't have a pivotal role??

You could tell that JC was involved.

Big, well-choreographed set pieces, splashy bursts of visually dazzling action, and a kickass woman in a substantial role.

Angela Bassett is incredible in this movie!! I wanted to be her when I first saw this...

To think that, in an industry that rarely writes action-heavy roles for women, period, action-heavy roles for women of color are all but non-existent. Bassett in Strange Days is the kind of galvanizing film presence that you truly believe knows how to fight, use weapons, and kick ass.

I HATE how Hollywood underutilized Bassett's talent for the most part.

By the way, has there been any JC film in which a woman doesn't have a pivotal role??

Maybe that cave diving movie he produced, there was a female part, but I don't remember it well.

Apart from that no, Cameron movies always had very strong female characters.

Cameron has always had female characters. Not necessarily developed, interesting or "strong" characters, but women characters nonetheless. Also, they can be a small minority in his films, where there are dozens of men and maybe one or two women. He is not some amazing progressive filmmaker to be celebrated as an icon to women. But no doubt, he's better than many other directors when it comes to this. It helps that he has more creative control over his movies too.

Edited by 99 Trees
  • Like 1

Cameron has always had female characters. Not necessarily developed, interesting or "strong" characters, but women characters nonetheless. Also, they can be a small minority in his films, where there are dozens of men and maybe one or two women. He is not some amazing progressive filmmaker to be celebrated as an icon to women. But no doubt, he's better than many other directors when it comes to this. It helps that he has more creative control over his movies too.

Cameron hasn't always had strong female characters?  LOL Sure.  And Spielberg doesn't always have strong family values in his films.  The Pope doesn't always read the Bible.  And Keyser Soze isn't always looking out for himself and his business interests.

• Like 2

He single-handledly launched two badass iconic women characters in the action genre hall of fame in an era when women in action movies were second fiddle sex kittens to the steroid-ladden action hero but he's not "progressive"? He wrote Strange Days and its fierce co-lead character Mace played by Angela Bassett but he's not "progressive"? Yeah, right...And Lindsey in Abyss is underrated in terms of interesting and strong female character.

Edited by MADash Rendar
  • Like 4

He single-handledly launched two badass iconic women characters in the action genre hall of fame in an era when women in action movies were second fiddle sex kittens to the steroid-ladden action hero but he's not "progressive"? Yeah, right...And Lindsey in Abyss is underrated in terms of interesting and strong female character.

Okay let me rephrase this:

I have not found any of Cameron's female characters interesting. And I don't really care about anyone being "badass" as I am not a big fan of the action genre.

I have not found any of Cameron's female characters interesting. And I don't really care about anyone being "badass" as I am not a big fan of the action genre.

That doesn't make his female characters any less progressive or iconic in terms of female characters history in the action genre, whether you like the action genre or not. It was groundbreaking.

Edited by MADash Rendar
  • Like 2

You don't find Ripley, Connor, Helen Tasker or Rose DeWitt Bukater interesting?  What exactly are you looking for in a female character?

You don't find Ripley, Connor, Helen Tasker or Rose DeWitt Bukater interesting?  What exactly are you looking for in a female character?

Ripley is a James Cameron character? That's news to me.

And no to the others, in fact I'd be hard pressed to think of a main character created by Cameron who I think is well written.

• Like 1

Ripley is a James Cameron character? That's news to me.

And no to the others, in fact I'd be hard pressed to think of a main character created by Cameron who I think is well written.

How is she not?  She might have been written by someone else in the first, but she was perfeted by Cameron in the second.

And how nice of you to pick one of the characters and completely ignore the others.

• Like 2