Neo

Point Break | December 25, 2015 | China Release on December 3rd, 3 weeks before the US.

In Alien Ripley  was more of a last-girl-meets-badass-chick archetype. In Aliens, she became an icon...a strong, powerful, memorably in-charge character that happened to be a woman (and who wasn't just an action bloke with tits). Like someone else mentioned, the best remembered Ripley moment ("Get Away from Her, You Bitch!!") is from Aliens. Oh, and sorry, but Sarah Connor? Hello? Another icon that, like Ripley, is still remembered, homaged, and even resurrected (well, they try).

Also, no matter how " not complex" people think Cameron's female characters are, we don't have that many directors with clout who, movie after movie, feature female characters that are central to the plots, and I'm not talking in the decorative way that most women in action films are.

Jake Sully was Avatar's purported hero, but Neitiry was the film's heart and soul, and, in the end, she (with a little help from another "female"...the goddess Eywa) was the one, not he, who sent the villain packing and saved the day.

Edited by cochofles
  • Like 2

On 29/9/2015 23:58:40, cochofles said:

In Alien Ripley  was more of a last-girl-meets-badass-chick archetype. In Aliens, she became an icon...a strong, powerful, memorably in-charge character that happened to be a woman (and who wasn't just an action bloke with tits). Like someone else mentioned, the best remembered Ripley moment ("Get Away from Her, You Bitch!!") is from Aliens. Oh, and sorry, but Sarah Connor? Hello? Another icon that, like Ripley, is still remembered, homaged, and even resurrected (well, they try).

Also, no matter how " not complex" people think Cameron's female characters are, we don't have that many directors with clout who, movie after movie, feature female characters that are central to the plots, and I'm not talking in the decorative way that most women in action films are.

Jake Sully was Avatar's purported hero, but Neitiry was the film's heart and soul, and, in the end, she (with a little help from another "female"...the goddess Eywa) was the one, not he, who sent the villain packing and saved the day.

In lot of ways, Neytiri is like Mace in Strange Days and I'm not talking about the braids. Ralph Fiennes was kind of the damsel in distress that Mace protected as they went along, their relationship developed deeper beyond the hardships, social boundaries and gender stereotypes. Fiennes earns to respect Mace, what she's been through.(In a movie where he sells recorded experiences through the eyes of another for cheap virtual thrills). He learns the hard way for real this time by her side, stopped tripping and lives through hell, through her eyes to finally open his. What was Avatar's mantra? I see you.(Even the final showdown of Strange Days felt like Avatar).

And for all the talk of The Matrix being groundbreaking and visionary about our future/reflecting our era yadda yadda, I've always found Strange Days superior in terms of being visionary (the movie showcased basically Oculus Rift and how people would exploit technology to enter people's intimate lives 20 years before the fact) and more politically relevant especially the racial issues and tension between state police and citizens that are still roaming to these days. Strange Days was more akin to William Gibson's vision of the future than Matrix's juvenile take on Neuromancer where everything is literal, flashy, cool and so far removed and less grounded in a real world with a given political and cultural context like Strange Days. Everytime someone doubts Cameron's ability as a fluffy writer, I just answer Strange Days. Matrix was a slap, Strange Days was an uppercut to me ahead of its times.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 3

I'm looking forward to this.

Even if the story and acting aren't great, I'm hoping there will be some cool stunts and action for my eyes to look at. Hopefully something that will feel a bit more earth-bound and maybe even realistic after watching Star Wars 4 or 5 times in one week.

• Like 2

I'm starting to realize that I truly don't understand what clicks with people these days.  The amount of hate this film is getting here really shocks me.  The original was far from a classic, in fact it was nothing.  It's an enjoyable film but it never got anything close to cult status.  The way some of you are carrying on here is like they just decided to remake the Godfather.  

The trailers for this are quite awesome and the stunt work alone makes me want to see it.  I have no idea if it's going to be good or not but I'm certainly willing to give it a chance.  I don't see what looks so offensive to you guys.

On November 5, 2015 at 5:00:56 AM, baumer said:

I'm starting to realize that I truly don't understand what clicks with people these days.  The amount of hate this film is getting here really shocks me.  The original was far from a classic, in fact it was nothing.  It's an enjoyable film but it never got anything close to cult status.  The way some of you are carrying on here is like they just decided to remake the Godfather.  

The trailers for this are quite awesome and the stunt work alone makes me want to see it.  I have no idea if it's going to be good or not but I'm certainly willing to give it a chance.  I don't see what looks so offensive to you guys.

The the first Point Break is definitely a cult classic 

and this this remake is just 100% unnecessary. Why remake any movie from the damn 90s? That wasn't that long ago