Neo

Point Break | December 25, 2015 | China Release on December 3rd, 3 weeks before the US.

I think I'm officially too old to understand what will do well and what will flop now.  I don't see why this film looks so bad.  The stunts alone look like it should be enough to get people into the theater and yet people here have buried this before it's even released.  I don't get it.  The original is not some classic and it has never been mentioned, EVER, as one of the great action movies of the 80's, not even if the hokey kind of way that Road House is.  I just don't get you guys.  

• Like 6

1 minute ago, baumer said:

I think I'm officially too old to understand what will do well and what will flop now.  I don't see why this film looks so bad.  The stunts alone look like it should be enough to get people into the theater and yet people here have buried this before it's even released.  I don't get it.  The original is not some classic and it has never been mentioned, EVER, as one of the great action movies of the 80's, not even if the hokey kind of way that Road House is.  I just don't get you guys.  

This doesn't look bad so much as it just looks rather bland and unnecessary, at least IMO. Between the studio's mostly muted and unpersuasive marketing campaign and not a single draw in the cast, it's just setting itself up to be the one movie that is destined to get lost in the holiday box office shuffle.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, baumer said:

I think you kind of make the argument itself. It's an unnecessaryremake of an OK movie. I don't think it looks terrible, just uninteresting. I'm sure a lot of the GA will think so as well. The original was released in 1991 btw.

I agree about the cast.  I like Delroy Lindo immensely so I'm glad to see him here but they should of tried to cast at least a name, any name.  Surely they could have offered this to one of the Hemsworth boys, they aren't doing a ton of work.  I love Betsy Theresa Palmer but they didn't even show her in the trailer.  I too think they went about this all wrong and tried to sell it just on the action and that's stupid imo.  Get some names to compliment the action, that, imo, would have gotten a lot more interest.

As much as I like the original, I agree with this. The problem is, why call it POINT BREAK? Anyone who's enough of a fan of the original won't really be sold on this on name alone, and it wasn't a big enough hit to really be that well known these days -- right? Maybe if they had taken the BAD LIEUTENANT route...

The one selling point is crazy extreme sports cinematography, and I get that... but that's hardly enough to drive more than a niche crowd. I'm sure it'll do reasonably well overseas, but that production budget is a bit much.

• Like 3

Saw a screening  of tonight.

I was surprised that it was in 3D.  Usually I find 3D unnecessary, but it actually enhanced this movie.  I assume there was quite a bit of CGI used, but it was hard to tell what was real and what wasn't.

Story is pretty predicable (the trailer basically shows the whole movie) but it's still really enjoyable except for the ending.

Acting, scenery, and the action/extreme sports were all good.

B+

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, A District 3 Engineer said:

I watched the trailer with Mockingjay too. RT is destroying it but Audience seems to be OK with it. It has a lot of action and nice locations. it surely won't be the Movie of the year but it still will be enjoyable. Specially if you like xtreme sports. 

I'm going to watch in the OD for sure 

Watched part of this on my break. God that scene from the trailer where they jump out of the plane and release the money looks just flat out amazing on the big screen. And the music is great. Just an amazing scene of a bad movie unfortunately :(

• Like 1

On 7 December 2015 at 11:58 AM, Baumer Fett said:

I agree about the cast.  I like Delroy Lindo immensely so I'm glad to see him here but they should of tried to cast at least a name, any name.  Surely they could have offered this to one of the Hemsworth boys, they aren't doing a ton of work.  I love Betsy Theresa Palmer but they didn't even show her in the trailer.  I too think they went about this all wrong and tried to sell it just on the action and that's stupid imo.  Get some names to compliment the action, that, imo, would have gotten a lot more interest.

I watched The Avengers again today. I'd forgotten that Stark calls Thor Point Break. You weren't the only one thinking that. 

• Like 2