pretty reckless

Are typical ROM COMS kind of dead?

Weren t the Twilight movies just a giant rom com ? It featured all'the tropes of the genre, love at first strike, events that prevent the romance to happen, love triangle, love triumphs, sex, wedding, end.

Where was the com part in rom com in Twilight? Unless you're considering unintentional humor as actual comedy.

• Like 3

Weren t the Twilight movies just a giant rom com ? It featured all'the tropes of the genre, love at first strike, events that prevent the romance to happen, love triangle, love triumphs, sex, wedding, end.

They are romantic fantasy dramas not rom-coms. They are not good films, but I can definitely see the appeal, I am not a rom-com type. If the Twilight films and books were good I would be a big fan.

Audiences maybe like to have their romance in a more dramatic fashion these days. I have not seen any of the Nicholas Sparks films but aren't they more like melodramas than rom-coms? As well as the YA adaptions The Fault in Our and If I Stay? Even Silver Linings Playbook was more a drama. I do not see the rom-coms coming back for a while and I think it is a good thing. Hollywood used to be so lazy with them, I have not seen a single one (apart those from classic Hollywood and some musicals) that had any artistic quality.

• Like 1

Emma's done sorta romcoms with Magic in the Moonlight and the upcoming Cameron Crowe film but a typical romcom with someone like Andrew Garfield or an up and coming actor might do well.

She was in Crazy Stupid Love and she had fun chemistry and rapport with Ryan Gosling

Well, if you deliver bad movies and let the good ones die as limited releases without marketing...

"About Time would have been a great opportunity, but they missed it.

This Genre didn't die because of movies failing, most of them are no risk and most of them will at least be no loss for the studio, but the potential to bring in big numbers is not there and so the studions don't seem to care and let Asia make their own Romcoms...

Yeah romcoms are still big here in Asia. Here in the Philippine local romcoms can compete with the hollywood blockbusters in the box office, they bring in HUGE numbers

And I think in Thailand too. A lot of local romcom movies were very successful there. Bangkok Traffic Love Story, Hello Stranger, ATM: Er Rak Error, all of them were in the yearly top 5, even top 3 in their respective years according to BOM. Those movies were released here too, and I really enjoyed them.

• Like 1

And I think in Thailand too. A lot of local romcom movies were very successful there. Bangkok Traffic Love Story, Hello Stranger, ATM: Er Rak Error, all of them were in the yearly top 5, even top 3 in their respective years according to BOM. Those movies were released here too, and I really enjoyed them.

Same thing in India as well, most of the top movies are either action or Rom-com. I think the reason rom-coms are big in Asian countries is that you don't need a big budget to make them (no VFX needed unlike Superhero movies), and a locally made rom-com can be adjusted to the traditions and values of that specific country. This is something Hollywood movies can't do, localize the plot etc. This reduces the global market for a Hollywood rom-com, which means that a movie needs to make almost all its money domestically.

Edited by grim22

http://oneroomwithaview.com/2015/01/22/where-did-all-the-good-ones-go-the-death-of-the-rom-com/

In the last four years there’s been a rom-com drought: as The Daily Beast declared in 2014, the romance comedy is dead. After a steady stream throughout the nineties and noughties, Hollywood has stopped being able to crack the rom-com code. Why? Because, much like the rest of us once we attempt to grow up, they started trying to be cool.

Romantic comedies aren’t cool. After all, they’re about indulging in the very thing that supposedly renders even the most badass of bad boys into big balls of schmaltzy declarations and baby talk: love. With the rise of hipster culture, internet snark and a valid desire on the part of filmmakers to do something original with the genre, romantic comedies of late have tried to distance themselves from their cheeseball past.

Cynicism then seems the natural response to modern romance and cynicism in a romantic comedy is fine. Noughties rom-com queen Katherine Heigl has made an art of eye-rolling her way through her many roles as a gorgeous woe-is-me spinster. But in striving to be cool and remain relevant to an increasingly clued up world, the Hollywood rom-com is caught between a rock and a hard place: trying to reflect on its own shortcomings while consistently buying into them.

Ultimately, whether you find it depressing or not, romantic comedies were never at their best when they had something to say about the world around them, or when they tried to drastically deviate from the norm. The romantic comedy is there to fulfil a specific vicarious purpose, suspending reality for audience so they could fall in love for an hour or two. It doesn’t need to be cool, or tap into modern internet culture, or be too self-aware, just have two characters who are perfect for each other and who are driven apart by something deliciously, cruelly contrived.

After all, all you really need at the end of the day is just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

• Like 2

It Happened On Night, Bringing Up Baby, The Philadelphia Story, too many brilliant 1930s screwball romantic comedies to list them all, Shop Around The Corner,  Adam's Rib, The African Queen, Born Yesterday, Pillow Talk, The Apartment, Teacher's Pet, Breakfast At Tiffanys, Roman Holiday, How To Steal A Million, Annie Hall, Tootsie, The Princess Bride, Ground Hog Day, Broadcast News, When Harry Met Sally, Bull Durham, Roxanne, Say Anything, Ten Things I Hate About You, The Wedding Singer, Bridget Jones Diary, Amelia...

That's a rich history that Hollywood seems uninterested in expanding upon.

I'm not sure The Princess Bride fits here. That's definitely the precursor to the live-action fairytale and I'd say Hollywood is pretty interested in expanding upon that genre, albeit shabbily.

Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield really had a nice 90s romcom vibe  in the last 2 Spider man movies. I would be interested to see a romcom starring them if ever that happens

If they get a strong script, I could see it becoming big.