pretty reckless

Are typical ROM COMS kind of dead?

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

The death of the studio rom com pisses me off.   There was no reason for it to happen. They got subsumed by raunchy "girls" movies and man-child comedies masquerading as romance when there's nothing romantic about them.  They now mostly exist in Indies and on Netflix.

The Home Video market dying killed the studio romcom basically.

• Like 3

Just now, TalismanRing said:

The death of the studio rom com pisses me off.   There was no reason for it to happen. They got subsumed by raunchy "girls" movies and man-child comedies masquerading as romance when there's nothing romantic about them.  They now mostly exist in Indies and on Netflix.

It's kinda interesting how much Apatow's brand of humor blanketed every comedy the major studios release

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I think that's a big reason why I liked SLP a lot. It's pretty much the only "studio" romcom in the past few years.

(I'm aware it's technically indie, but it feels very studio thanks to the casting.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

Why didn't it kill any other genre?

Overseas markets made up the difference for most other genres like action, animation etc. And Horror went low budget guaranteeing returns. 

The biggest thing working against Rom-coms is also the fact that they cannot be sequelized. A rom-com is pretty much a one and done, so there are no future profits to be made there. The other genre to be hit by HV dying off was comedy, but at least with comedies, there is a sequel option, and comedies travel decently well OS (not huge, but they can gather some returns)

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Blankments said:

After watching Bridget Jones's Diary last night, I'm all for the return of the romcom. All the ones I've seen, no matter how generic, charm the pants off me.

You must be thrilled that you are getting Bridget Jones 3 this September then.

• Like 3

On 12/21/2015 at 0:34 PM, a2knet said:

Assuming a 247m ow, SW needs a multiplier of 3.1 to overtake Avatar. In Dec, even with its mega huge ow, tough to imagine it falling below that.

EDIT: wrong thread

No, you were right. After Episode IX, the next installment in the Star Wars cinematic universe will be a Romcom.

42 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Why didn't it kill any other genre?

Adult dramas that aren't awards targeted movies released at the end of the year are also pretty much dead or relegated to Indies or TV.  And we get an adult thriller maybe once or twice a year when they used to be a common staple.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Adult dramas that aren't awards targeted movies released at the end of the year are also pretty much dead or relegated to Indies or TV.  And we get an adult thriller maybe once or twice a year when they used to be a common staple.

Foreign companies are making them as well -- with modest budgets but nonetheless very solid filmmaking. Scandinavia in general has had a good run of movies that could essentially be Hollywood adult thrillers, they just happen to be in another language. Some of them have already been remade (INSOMNIA, LET THE RIGHT ONE IN), others might well be (HEADHUNTERS), and still others are the sorts of movies Hollywood used to excel at (THE WAVE). Rom-coms are in that general category too.

I don't think what the studios are doing is healthy, in the macro sense.

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, NuTella Lover of Sky Beams said:

Foreign companies are making them as well -- with modest budgets but nonetheless very solid filmmaking. Scandinavia in general has had a good run of movies that could essentially be Hollywood adult thrillers, they just happen to be in another language. Some of them have already been remade (INSOMNIA, LET THE RIGHT ONE IN), others might well be (HEADHUNTERS), and still others are the sorts of movies Hollywood used to excel at (THE WAVE). Rom-coms are in that general category too.

I don't think what the studios are doing is healthy, in the macro sense.

But why do you care unless the movie has Sky Beams in it? :ph34r: 

• Like 9

A number of the huge budget tentpoles are secretly romcoms and help to satisfy that audience. There's actually a pretty interesting discussion to be had about how you could break the superhero movies into groups representing the more popular 80s/90s genres that have died off (at the hands of superhero movies)

Covered in candy and spectacle, of course, to sell toys and premium tickets

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

A number of the huge budget tentpoles are secretly romcoms and help to satisfy that audience. There's actually a pretty interesting discussion to be had about how you could break the superhero movies into groups representing the more popular 80s/90s genres that have died off (at the hands of superhero movies)

Covered in candy and spectacle, of course, to sell toys and premium tickets

OK, which ones?

2 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

I think that's purely nostalgia talking there. Didn't people complain about formulaic romcoms back when they were popular?

Just now, cannastop said:

I think that's purely nostalgia talking there. Didn't people complain about formulaic romcoms back when they were popular?

In the same vague sense that people complain about formulaic tentpoles today

Meanwhile, *other* people went off and enjoyed them

• Like 8