tawasal

‘Hunger Games’ Theme Parks Could Be Coming

Link: http://variety.com/2013/film/news/hunger-games-theme-parks-could-be-coming-1200808710/

Katniss Everdeen may be coming to a theme park.

Lionsgate is exploring getting into the theme-park business, taking advantage of its blockbuster “Hunger Games” franchise.

CEO Jon Feltheimer made the disclosure Friday during a conference call with analysts following release of the studio’s quarterly earnings report.

Feltheimer said Lionsgate had been approached about “Hunger Games” theme parks in two territories and was considering those possibilities. He gave no further details.

The CEO’s disclosure came in response to an analyst question about which areas of “Hunger Games” merchandising had performed well. Motion Picture Group Co-Chairman Rob Friedman had said that Lionsgate was “very excited” by sales of the “Capitol Couture” line of attire.

• Like 1

Call me a prude, but the fact that this is turning into some commercialized franchise is just boggling my mind. It's not a happy story, and if I had kids I definitely wouldn't let them watch the first movie.

Prude.

It does seem kind of weird. THG isn't all tra la la like Potter or a swashbuckling adventure with comic overtones that makes it a theme park-friendly franchise.  But I guess this means Collins wrote the story she wanted to, instead of leaving stuff out of canon because she was thinking of all the Lego sales and theme park admissions she might lose if the books included elements that upset too many parents or readers in more conservative countries. But a movie studio being a movie studio, they are going to try to squeeze all the money they can out of a property, even if it skirts the line of good taste or sense.

Yeah. I don't really like this idea. It doesn't seem like THG would translate well into theme park, especially at Disney. Though we'll see, this can be like Avatar theme park 2.0: it's "coming" eventually. 

• Like 1