ecstasy

Wednesday Numbers 11/13/2013-Thor 2 Mighty Drop $3,565,731

Basically, I think they dropped the ball on Thor2 with the "space" storyline. Thor1 had appeal for general audiences in that we could relate to the conflicts - basically, a dysfunctional family. Plus there was the fish-out-of-water element which always adds a fun element. Thor2 has some plot to destroy the universe (which might work if it wasn't a comedy) but the emorional conflicts are absent or underplayed. The same happened to IM1/IM2 by the way, IM1 had a very vulnerable Tony Stark recovering from his fear and pain; in IM2 there was no further character development for Tony other than kissing Pepper. It's really the rare movie that can draw you in without a character storyline.

I enjoyed the space storyline in Thor 2. But I do agree. It's not for everybody.

Basically, I think they dropped the ball on Thor2 with the "space" storyline. Thor1 had appeal for general audiences in that we could relate to the conflicts - basically, a dysfunctional family. Plus there was the fish-out-of-water element which always adds a fun element. Thor2 has some plot to destroy the universe (which might work if it wasn't a comedy) but the emorional conflicts are absent or underplayed. The same happened to IM1/IM2 by the way, IM1 had a very vulnerable Tony Stark recovering from his fear and pain; in IM2 there was no further character development for Tony other than kissing Pepper. It's really the rare movie that can draw you in without a character storyline.

The "space story" is the main reason why I liked Thor: The Dark World more than the first.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

There is no way to spin it. Its horrible considering how others have dropped. Its not as if its monday holiday drop was extraordinary. its wednesday is basically under 16.4% of its sunday gross. I think it has to do something special rest of the week to avoid 60% drop. Only good thing is despite best man's holiday looking like breaking out the weekend will be significantly weaker than last year when twilight finale opened. But what is worse is its next weekend when CF will hit it hard again.

• Like 2

There is no way to spin it. Its horrible considering how others have dropped. Its not as if its monday holiday drop was extraordinary. its wednesday is basically under 16.4% of its sunday gross. I think it has to do something special rest of the week to avoid 60% drop. Only good thing is despite best man's holiday looking like breaking out the weekend will be significantly weaker than last year when twilight finale opened. But what is worse is its next weekend when CF will hit it hard again.

I thought it would make at least 3.9-4.1. But damn.

please don't blame Tom for this! He is the only good thing that came out of this movie! even the critics say so, this movie was alive only when Hiddleston was on screen! Marvel made a boring movie about Jane Foster and I don't see why it's Tom's fault! after comic con they tried to save it and filmed more scenes with Tom, but they couldn't change the storyline and it is still a movie about Foster! Also , Marvel lied in their advertising, pretending that Tom will be the center of this movie and instead we got Jane, Darcy and the intern!

• Like 1

Umm...IM2 has problems, but a lack of character development for Tony isn't one of them. The majority of that movie is devoted to Stark's character arc at the expense of developing Whiplash's character, 

• Like 1

please don't blame Tom for this! He is the only good thing that came out of this movie! even the critics say so, this movie was alive only when Hiddleston was on screen! Marvel made a boring movie about Jane Foster and I don't see why it's Tom's fault! after comic con they tried to save it and filmed more scenes with Tom, but they couldn't change the storyline and it is still a movie about Foster! Also , Marvel lied in their advertising, pretending that Tom will be the center of this movie and instead we got Jane, Darcy and the intern!

Uh oh

• Like 1

First: calm down no body blaming him. No need to go in defense mode. Secondly: many critics liked Darcy/intern stuff too.  Thirdly: TH &Loki are two different beings no need to mix them.

Calm down, Loki fangirl. Hiddleston can't open a movie any better than Colin Farrell. 

• Like 1

Hiddleston's a good actor and he's great as Loki, but he hasn't done anything else of note really, so it's difficult for me to understand how he's gained such a cult following. Yeah, he's good-looking, but is he that much better looking than any other famous actor? 

Edited by tonytr87