ecstasy

Wednesday Numbers 11/13/2013-Thor 2 Mighty Drop $3,565,731

I mean, the mere fact that it's been 6.5 years and this board is still not over that damn movie proves my point that, just like IM3, most people just feel betrayed. Which is a purely emotional response and not a logical one. So, while you all hate SM3 emotionally, you can't truly prove it was a horrible movie(just a horrible experience for you). Hence, the use of the dancing/jazz scenes as a crutch. The psychology of it all fascinates me to no end. :P

You're reading too much into it, man.

But if enough people have a shared horrible experience, does that not make the movie, by extension, horrible. I mean, I still can't sit through Spider-Man 3 even when it is on TV.

No. Because in the end it's still a matter of opinion. I don't care how many people have the same opinion. It doesn't change what it is.

IM3 was betrayal because they thought they could make it like an anti-Iron Man 2 and have Iron Man 3 be a lukewarm decent movie and then everyone claps and says yay, that might be the best Iron Man yet.  Just because they made a better Iron Man movie does not mean it was a good movie!!!!  (breathing fire scene?)  STEP UP YOUR QUALITY GAME DIRECTORS and Producers!!!

Iron man 3 was a great movie.

Speaking on a purely personal level, Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 were like nothing I had ever seen on screen before. I wrote the reviews of them on my blog immediately after watching them and they are both highly positive reviews. I read through the Spider-Man 3 review I wrote immediately after watching it and I can see how disappointed I was with the movie. These are not feelings in hindsight, they are there online to show that I actually was let down quite badly by SM3 on first watch itself.

That being said, my second watch of Spider-Man 3 was one of my best theater going experiences ever, for reasons completely unrelated to the movie, I wrote about it here: http://forums.boxoffice.com/index.php?/topic/12175-funny-or-weird-theater-experiences/?p=1055847 

• Like 2

Or you can be in my camp, the one that said SM1 and SM2 were both very flawed, average films to begin with. Took a lot of shit at SHH for that but it's funny how many of those sheep turned on the film when SM3 came out and had, like you said, a lot of the same flaws as the first two films (just ramped up on steroids).

That's the way I feel about IM>>>IM2. I mean, IM starts out great, but the ending is awfully weak. As a Spider-Man fanatic, I could overlook the flaws because most films are flawed in some way(just look at the goofs section on IMDb). So when I saw SM3, I was able to get past the dancing/emo BS, but there were some parts I just could not abide. Like the soap opera storyline, the uneven nature of the film as a whole. You go from dark scenes where Spider-Man intended to kill someone to a goofy, almost old school Godzilla type ending. Monsters! Monsters! AHHHH!!!! Plus, don't get me started about Sandman being involved in Uncle Ben's murder. That was as shoehorned an event as there is in film history. But, I liked Sandman beginnings and his motivations. They brought scenes out of my childhood into the film, like the church scene. And his transformation into the black Spider-Man was well done, if not the emo crap.

It has just enough to keep me interested so I can ignore the stupid decisions. If you are curious how I feel about the first Spider-Man, I have a lengthy review of it on my blog. Just because I love something, it doesn't mean I find no fault in it.

Thread title needs changing, needs to be something like "Wednesday num... who cares, let's discuss Spider-Man 3"

When AA's here, people discuss Spider-Man 3. Or is it when people discuss Spider-Man 3, AA's here? Either one  :P

• Like 3

It was promptly followed by the hokey raindrops scene, which nearly ruined it. And he didn't say he was becoming a man, or any of the classic lines Stan and John used. I love SM2 to death, but SM3 is not that much different. It's just perceived as such, since it didn't do anything but disappoint ridiculously high expectations. Is anyone willing to say they didn't expect SM3 to be as good or better than SM2?

The raindrops scene is meant to be hokey and it's okay that it's hokey. It's a purely comedic scene. SM3 took that and went too far. You want dialogue line for line from the comics? 

Edited by tonytr87

I will say this for the Raimi franchise. One of the best moments I ever had in a theater was at the end of SM2 when Mary Jane shows up to Peter's apartment. Some dude yelled VERY loudly, "Fuck her brains out!" LOL, all the adults in the theater erupted in laughter. Perfect timing. Well played sir, well played.

• Like 1

But if enough people have a shared horrible experience, does that not make the movie, by extension, horrible. I mean, I still can't sit through Spider-Man 3 even when it is on TV.

I'd say it's closer to half like it, half don't. Maybe even more than half in the like it camp. Otherwise, if everyone hated it, I think TASM would have been welcomed with open arms.

When AA's here, people discuss Spider-Man 3. Or is it when people discuss Spider-Man 3, AA's here? Either one  :P

You can't get away from Spiderman when AA is here.

It's either that or MOS vs. IM3 aka DC v. Marvel

At least Spidey is neutral.

• Like 1