Plain Old Tele

Digimon: The Movie (2000)

Digimon: The Movie (2000)  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

First two segments are much much more entertaining than they have any right to be. Third segment is awful though. That said, I have a lot of nostalgia for this film.

Interesting fact. This movie is actually the first three Japanese Digimon movies squashed into 1, with a subplot added to connect them all. While the first two were short enough to remain unchanged, the third one ended up getting very seriously cut which badly impacted its quality.

Second interesting fact, the second segment, Our War Game, was one of the first directoral efforts of Mamoru Hosoda, considered one of the best living anime directors, who later recycled a lot of the plot (minus the Digimon) for his 2009 film 'Summer Wars' (which, incidentally, is my joint 2nd favourite film of all time).

So, here's my judgement on each section of the film, quality wise.

Section One: Digimon Adventure - A-

Section Two: Our War Game - A

Section Three: Hurricane Touchdown - E

Overall - B

I shouldn't be watching childhood favorites. :unsure:

Anyway, this one of the most plotless movies I've watched, 90% of it is action scenes/monsters morphing (or felt like it). Some character moments in the beginning appealed to the nostalgic person in me, so that's good. 25/100

Still better than the first 2 Pokemon.

I was a massive fan of Digimon when i went to watch this in the cinema. Only me and my mate were there lol. Anyways i was up to speed with the UK tv show which was still on season 1 if i recall (still hadnt finished). So the whole Omnimon vs diaboromon thing was super cool. I had goosebumps when wargreymon and metalgarurumon digivolved to Omnimon. But when i saw new characters (from digimon 02) i was confused as fuck. Barely understood what was happening the second half of the movie and it seemed like it was super rushed. Must have been poor editing with the deletion of scenes? Anyways cnce season 2 started airing on TV i started to like and appreciate the new characters.

B-

Pokemon the First Movie was much better even though i liked digimon more in general

Edited by Omario