Plain Old Tele

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013)

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013)  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

The Hunger Games and Catching Fire are probably the best blockbuster movies I’ve seen in the last few years. I’ll be honest, I don’t think these movies are incredible or have any deep message, they are actually a bit predictable, but they provide ~2 hours of a truly enjoyable and thrilling experience.

Catching Fire doesn’t bring a lot of new things to the table, it paves the way for the big finale by showing the crescent rebellion against the Capitol and still bring all the cool stuff you had in the first movie: The action scenes, new characters (I personally loved Johanna) and their struggle to survive, this time with much more teamwork and a better portrayal of other district’s tributes. The movie isn’t focused on the fights against the strongest careers, it’s more about showing how the contestants work together to survive until the end, but the games are not only about surviving anymore, you know they are up for something bigger and the ending is the perfect cliffhanger: the revolution that finally started from the tension that had been building up since the beginning of the movie.

Also, although there isn’t any scene as emotional as Rue’s death - Megs is great as the cute and innocent character of the 75th games, but her death just didn’t have the same impact – Katniss makes a really adorable dedication to her when she visits the 11th district.

All I can say is that Catching Fire really builds excitement for Mockingjay, but I must admit I’m a bit worried, because it’s kinda of a let down to build so much tension in this movie and then split the last installment in two parts. It worked with Harry Potter because Deathly Hallows Pt. 1 had a slow beginning, Catching Fire’s ending is brutal and makes you beg for the finale, it doesn’t set the mood for a slow-paced sequel, in my opinion. 

Edited by JohnnY
  • Like 1