Plain Old Tele

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013)

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013)  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

One of the best movies I've seen this year and probably the best large scale movie I've seen this year as well.  The first one was really lame imo, this one is everything I HEARD others say about the first.  The games were brutal, violent and completely unpredictable and for the first time in the series, I really felt for Katniss, I felt the danger and even though I know she can't die, I feared for everyone else.  I'm actually kind of happy to be in on the Hunger Game love fest now.  It always seemed like I was a bit of a pariah when it comes to blockbusters.  Not a big fan of Potter, The Dark Knight is hit and miss, same with Marvel and of course I like Twilight while everyone else despises it.  Finally a blockbuster I like just like everyone else. lol.  

9/10

I must admit I am surprised by this. But I thought you loved TDK and now you are saying its hit and msis. Plus you loved Avengers( and I presume 1st iron man as well).

I also did not like the 1st one and thought I will skip this one on the big screen. But might check it out now based on the reactions.

• Like 1

Stingray's two cents:

I found the first half of the movie a lot more engaging than the games themselves, which I thought were slightly underwhelming. I find it refreshing to see a blockbuster that is actually about something, with something meaningful and thought-provoking to say, and is relevant to the world we live in.

The production values are obviously top-notch. Jennifer Lawrence is really good, and carries the weight of the story on her shoulders.

When all is said and done, and the series is over, I can see Katniss Everdeen firmly stake her claim as one of the most iconic, and important, female heroines of all time.

A solid B from The Stingray.

Is the social commentary/satire more marked and examined in the novel? That's where I was let down most. Just seems very stunted in the film.

Is there a compelling enough reason they kept the secret from Katniss? While she's too morally righteous to go for it, it still doesn't seem reason enough. Is Katniss more and more impotent as her saga plays out? She's essentially powerless now and just a marionette for smarter/wiser people than herself. If that's the case, why am I not watching a much more compelling story play out with Woody H. Phillip S.H. and Donald S with Stanely T. lending with oddball charm broadcasting to the herd?

Seeing her rage in the final frame just had me smirking. They're already smarter than her. Just about everyone around her actually seems more clever. What's she going to do... Being her strengths are bow and arrow weilding and courage, she's forever at a disadvantage. She's easily outwitted. Or, it appears so in the films...

Will these become more visually interesting movies? Any exciting/daring set pieces, rather than recycled ones in Catching Fire, due up in the MockingJay story?

Is there a reason, with all the technology at play and Snow controlling media, he cannot stage her perfect death, a la Running Man. Then, in the while, capture and murder her, Peeta, etc. The fact that Snow's not capable of designing a capable plan's somewhat outlandish and makes he and his cohorts appear dumb and childish.

Is Gale good for more than a makeout and a flogging? Is he really as boring as he reads in these movies. If so, hope he's killed early in the next one. Sames goes for Peeta. Neutering the love triange would really allow F. Lawrence more time to focus the narrative on the far more compelling machinations at work... And, as a positive, characters die and do it often in Hunger reality... Is anything going to happen in MJ1 for it not feel like less a standalone film than Catching Fire already does?

A common problem I have with YA literature, even Potter, is  Ioften feel as if I'm following one of the least interesting characters in the story. Guess it's just how they often play out. Ender's a pawn. Potter's Dumbledore's pawn. Katniss as well. I think a more interesting film has us in on reveal that she's just Phillip S.H. queen on the chess board. I would further empathize with her while it would also enrich the characterization of he, Woody H, etc.

I wish these films had more of a Verhoeven edge... The edge and explotation he lended to Robocop, Starship Troopers and Black Book. That kind of tone, muted enough for the PG13 rating, would complement this saga. Give it more of a punch when it takes swings at society.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

^ I think your wrong, I think its beautiful and powerful.

Katniss is resistant to the idea, she's just a normal girl, she cant be the chosen one, the leader of the rebellion. She has been in district 12 isolated and blocked off from the world. Its her learning and coming to terms with that fact of reality that the symbol of her is now something people are willing to die for.  

Ross was sup-par, The story was good in the first Hunger Games and that pushed us through the film. The whole movie was shot to tight, no wide shots, to shaky, the creativity was lacking. Ross just isn't a blockbuster director. Francis on the other hand knows what he is doing.

Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 6

Best Blockbuster of the summer.

Hunger Games was just ok, It was very poorly directed. Francis Lawrence however delivers the goods and brings this franchise to another level. There is now a sense a scope of a world bigger then us. It feels like a movie and I love that. Katniss falling in love with Peeta was done so naturally and beautifully. All the actors bring there A game. Lawrence of course steals the show and gives a truly award contending performance. You can't take your eyes of Sutherland in every scene and Hoffman was a great addition. Mocking Jay is now one of my most anticipated movies after that ending.

to some it up, Catching Fire was like Matrix Reloaded of the Hunger Games, but excellent

A (94)

Huh. This is the review that made me go watch the movie tomorrow.

• Like 2

Guess they didn't want to go down the Nolan route for aspect ratio changes every 7th shot or something. 

From now on every movie with scenes filmed in IMAX will be like Hunger Games, It wont jump cut back and forth it will expand and be planned out in advance for certain sequence's. They want it to be used as creatively as possible.

Not sure if it applies for Interstellar though..

Is there a reason, with all the technology at play and Snow controlling media, he cannot stage her perfect death, a la Running Man. Then, in the while, capture and murder her, Peeta, etc. The fact that Snow's not capable of designing a capable plan's somewhat outlandish and makes he and his cohorts appear dumb and childish.

Is Gale good for more than a makeout and a flogging? Is he really as boring as he reads in these movies. If so, hope he's killed early in the next one. Sames goes for Peeta. Neutering the love triange would really allow F. Lawrence more time to focus the narrative on the far more compelling machinations at work... And, as a positive, characters die and do it often in Hunger reality... Is anything going to happen in MJ1 for it not feel like less a standalone film than Catching Fire already does?

This baffled me too. Donald Sutherland and his capital leaders could easily kill Katniss, but they look weak just waiting and waiting and waiting until Katniss eventually builds up an army to overthrow them. It's sloppy writing.

And the love triangle (if you can call it that) is awful. They should delete it from the films as it is an unneccesary distraction from the central theme.

This baffled me too. Donald Sutherland and his capital leaders could easily kill Katniss, but they look weak just waiting and waiting and waiting until Katniss eventually builds up an army to overthrow them. It's sloppy writing.

And the love triangle (if you can call it that) is awful. They should delete it from the films as it is an unneccesary distraction from the central theme.

The love triangle was hardly in the movie at all, you're just nitpicking things to make the movie look bad.  :rolleyes:

It has some problems (Katniss's scenes of concern for him also seem a bit unnatural) but it's otherwise an incredible film. Both Lawrences are at the top of their game, and everything is stepped up from the first film.

Edited by Frozen Spaghetti
  • Like 1

No. Outright killing Katniss would have made her a martyr. That would have ensured a rebellion and then war.

No. Outright killing Katniss would have made her a martyr. That would have ensured a rebellion and then war.

I more so meant Snow staging her death in the dome. That's why I referenced Running Man. It's done there. They stage the death of two characters then look to execute 'em off screen. Broadcast something the masses would buy wholesale.She nearly dies quite a few times in this flick. Then, without the public getting a sniff, execute her, Peeta, her family, etc... I mean, it seems they have the technology, funds and power to use someone that looks similar or manipulate the feed enough to make it appear as if her. Sheesh, James Cameron and Peter Jackson do this kind of stuff now with motion capture. They have the technology to create rabid beasts and have them appear in the dome in Hunger Games 1. The technology of the elite seems very advanced. I don't see how it would even be all that difficult. Then again, I have not read the novels and therefore do not know the intricacies of the story. Likely a valid reason. Just doesn't come across in the film.

Ross did well and had the far harder job.

Yeah, that's why I do cut him some slack. He had to get the perfect cast for this, and the games were harder because it's tough to show kids killing kids and have it pg-13. And, he only had around 70-80M budget to work with. He didn't have a lot of resources.

• Like 1