Punishment

THG Catching Fire $25.25m Thursday Previews

No joke Red

I live in a 50% South Asian Dominated town.

My sister and I went to Watch THG and it was like 80% white people 15-40.

This is totally anecdotal but yesterday I went to see Thor: TDW in IMAX at the local theater, which always has a heavily Black and South Asian attendance. (It shows Bollywood films to good crowds in a Baltimore suburb.) When my showing let out after 4 PM, the place was gearing up for THG mini-marathon. It was surprisingly empty but the few people who were there were White, which is almost never the case. There were maybe half a dozen teen girls with a parent waiting for the IMAX to start seating. For Thor 2 and IM3 the place was packed with mostly Black people, lots of families with young kids.

The preview numbers for CF surprised me. Given all the hype in these parts I expected it to be far higher than it is. Maybe parents refused to allow their kids to go on a school night, or people just decided to wait. 

• Like 1

Funniest was my sister and my cousin who has a turban went to see Passion of The Christ.

Only brown people in the screening lol  

However lets be fair.

THG is YA and YA main core audience is younger females.

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 3

The preview numbers for CF surprised me. Given all the hype in these parts I expected it to be far higher than it is. Maybe parents refused to allow their kids to go on a school night, or people just decided to wait. 

You can never judge an OW by it's midnight numbers alone. It'll give you a hint for sure (and in this case the hint is: yes, it'll be huge), but you can't really get specifics from it.

We had a cold front move in overnight. Temperatures went from around 70 to sub-30 and now we have freezing rain, 30 mph wind, and supposedly snow tomorrow. Might hurt attendance over the weekend here.

Texans are pussies when comes to snow. 

Edited by Dexter of Suburbia

Don't mean to nag, but isn't all that late-Thursday/pre-midnight money included in the opening day (Friday)? It just seems like a bigger window to make more money and have it count as opening day money...

Yes, there's technically a larger window (which theoretically a film with insane demand could fully use). But realistically, what's happened is that instead of a 12-4am window we now have a 8-12, 8-1am window. Overall total showtimes haven't really changed that much.

• Like 1

We had a cold front move in overnight. Temperatures went from around 70 to sub-30 and now we have freezing rain, 30 mph wind, and supposedly snow tomorrow. Might hurt attendance over the weekend here.

Freezing rain? Oh helll no. We can drive in snow, but freezing rain? Stay home, people. Katniss can wait until Monday.

Obviously CF is gonna have a huge weekend. That being said, I think Lionsgate screwed up in one area and theaters screwed up in another. This is a movie that has about the same amount of real IMAX footage as TDKR. That's tremendous, it's a clear highlight to really make the film stand out and feel big, epic, etc. Why on earth didn't Lionsgate really hammer this point home? It should've been a talking point for every single guest on a talk show. People need a reason to spend the extra money on IMAX, simply advertising it as "in IMAX" is meaningless.

Secondly, all the IMAX theaters in SoCal had their IMAX shows starting at 11pm or later. The few that had an 8pm show did it as an additional screening. The bulk of the sellouts for the southern California area came for earlier showtimes (makes sense). Again, why on earth wouldn't you have all your IMAX shows start at 8pm, and then add an additional show as needed. You'd probably have sold out more IMAX screens -- which means more money for everyone.

• Like 7

Obviously CF is gonna have a huge weekend. That being said, I think Lionsgate screwed up in one area and theaters screwed up in another. This is a movie that has about the same amount of real IMAX footage as TDKR. That's tremendous, it's a clear highlight to really make the film stand out and feel big, epic, etc. Why on earth didn't Lionsgate really hammer this point home? It should've been a talking point for every single guest on a talk show. People need a reason to spend the extra money on IMAX, simply advertising it as "in IMAX" is meaningless.

Secondly, all the IMAX theaters in SoCal had their IMAX shows starting at 11pm or later. The few that had an 8pm show did it as an additional screening. The bulk of the sellouts for the southern California area came for earlier showtimes (makes sense). Again, why on earth wouldn't you have all your IMAX shows start at 8pm, and then add an additional show as needed. You'd probably have sold out more IMAX screens -- which means more money for everyone.

I agree, TDKR really hyped up IMAX and it was virtually sold out the entire weekend in the format. Catching Fire should've followed suit.

I agree, TDKR really hyped up IMAX and it was virtually sold out the entire weekend in the format. Catching Fire should've followed suit.

You guys forget this is primarily a movie that appeals to teenage girls more or less. They don't give a shit about Imax

• Like 3

I think this is a great point.

• Like 1