Punishment

THG Catching Fire $25.25m Thursday Previews

Eclipse made 4M more than NM at midnight.  Why do you think that is?  Probably has something to do with its summer release date.  Then, BD1 and BD2 went back to Nov and both of those movies increased by like 3% over Eclipse. Hmmm.

You can't just say that BD1 and BD2 did so well at midnight that it would be illogical to expect it to have done better in the summer.  DH2 has shown that a 2D movie can make up to about 36-37M at midnight.  And time and time again, we have seen summer tentpoles do ridiculous midnight numbers...TDK, HBP, Eclipse and DH2 were all record breaking midnight films.  NM is the only film to break the record outside of the summer season....and it didn't exactly blow past the previous record by all that much (26m vs 22m)

Eclipse was the absolute peak of Twilight insanity, though. BD 1 and 2 dropped in total from it. The series lost its mojo after 2010

Can you please at least spell my name right? I always say your name properly. It's Mattrek. Also I'm really getting tired of your pessimistic attitude when it comes to anything on this board it seems Lordmandeep or should I say Lordmanderp?

My god your such a emotional person lol

• Like 1

Eclipse was the absolute peak of Twilight insanity, though. BD 1 and 2 dropped in total from it. The series lost its mojo after 2010

I wouldn't say a 300m dollar movie lost it's mojo. Sure it wasn't as big as eclipse, but 300m is still gigantic.

Not really.  They were ridiculously consistent domestically and they increased internationally.

• Like 1

I wouldn't say a 300m dollar movie lost it's mojo. Sure it wasn't as big as eclipse, but 300m is still gigantic.

Yea, but on the same line of discussion we were having, Eclipse was a pop culture sensation (so many Edward Jacob costumes that Halloween) that penetrated the cultural zeitgeist, BD was just another really big movie, which is why it didn't do as well at midnight anymore. Kids grew up and became less ferverant about rushing out on opening day.

The reason IM3 didn't feel big was because most on this board thought it was a meh movie. When was the last time we had a truly great movie break box office expectations or hit huge numbers? It's been scarce and I think that's why you feel that way as do I Cmasterclay.

THG, TA, Skyfall, to name a few from last year. Hasn't been that long. Plus we just had Gravity a month ago.

Edited by Moviefanatic
  • Like 1

The reason IM3 didn't feel big was because most on this board thought it was a meh movie. When was the last time we had a truly great movie break box office expectations or hit huge numbers? It's been scarce and I think that's why you feel that way as do I Cmasterclay.

Iron Man 3 was great. I don't give a damn what anybody says. Now I've had just about enough of you guys bashing my 4th favorite movie of the year.

• Like 4

My god your such a emotional person lol

Ever single post towards me you've made that "mistake" spelling my name wrong. It's hard to believe you didn't do that on purpose Lordmanderp. Spelling my name properly isn't a hard ask IMO.

Not really.  They were ridiculously consistent domestically and they increased internationally.

True, but BD2 was the highest quality movie in the series IMO and it didn't bust out in the opening the way Eclipse did, nor did it become a pop culture sensation. If BD2 still had the Eclipse momentum, it could have done 30+ in November. The month didn't matter.

So you are just discounting BD1 and BD2 because they screw up your theory?

Twilight is the biggest midnight player out there.  4 out of the top 6 midnight performances are from that franchise.  Is it really that delusional to assume that it would make a few extra million had it been released in the summer?  

THG, TA, Skyfall to name a few from last year. Hasn't been that long.

Skyfall was more of a legs film rather then a wow opening, in box office time feels a lot longer I guess, can't believe it's only been a year since TA. Regardless though a year seems like a long time considering what we had gone through the past previous 5.
  • Like 1