Dementeleus

Nov 22-24 #s CF: $158,074,286 actual | Dark Knight triumphant after all

It's probably too early to say THG has peaked. MJ2 is likely to be bigger than CF and MJ1 simply because it will be the final installment. People who haven't bothered to see the first three in theaters can always catch them on disk. At least some of those viewers will turn out to see the last film in theaters, adding to the gross.  

• Like 1

It's probably too early to say THG has peaked. MJ2 is likely to be bigger than CF and MJ1 simply because it will be the final installment. People who haven't bothered to see the first three in theaters can always catch them on disk. At least some of those viewers will turn out to see the last film in theaters, adding to the gross.  

I think last Harry Potter movie was an outlier because of nostalgia. The first books were released over a decade ago and the franchise lasted a decade. So many people grew up with the franchise that they had to go back to the theaters to watch the finale. I expect MJ2 to be more like BD2 and see a much smaller increase over MJ1.

• Like 2

A counter argument to that is that Bond will steal a lot of the attention from the GA, since it'll be the first Bond movie in a few years, as opposed to "yet another Hunger Games movie".

• Like 1

I think last Harry Potter movie was an outlier because of nostalgia. The first books were released over a decade ago and the franchise lasted a decade. So many people grew up with the franchise that they had to go back to the theaters to watch the finale. I expect MJ2 to be more like BD2 and see a much smaller increase over MJ1.

Not to forget 3-fucking-D!

• Like 1

A counter argument to that is that Bond will steal a lot of the attention from the GA, since it'll be the first Bond movie in a few years, as opposed to "yet another Hunger Games movie".

It'd be funny if, after Skyfall came out ahead of BD2 in 2012, Bond 24 would do the same with MJ2 in 2015. 

• Like 1

It is to early, but I have a feeling its has.

First one does 400m, 2nd does 350, 3rd drops a bit more 330m, 4th a big jump but not big enough 385m.

CF's performance goes to show how impressive TDKR's OW was.

CF might come very close to THG's opening. In that regard, it's not much different from TDKR's performance, it's just a matter of a few millions plus or minus their respective predeccesors' OW.