Dementeleus

Nov 22-24 #s CF: $158,074,286 actual | Dark Knight triumphant after all

Sooo I was enjoying the meltdowns and cannibalism, but then I got a headache and had to log off. Im guessing the rapture is over? What is the weekend looking like now with $70.5?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgDIYJRdKyk

• Like 1

Especially when you consider that the OD record is historically broken nearly every year.  Its 43.5m haul at midnight is phenomenal....and with a December release date for SW7 it might be 2016 or beyond before the midnight record is broken. 

Yea I had SW7 begged to shatter the midnight record but with a December release date, I don't see that happening anymore. Still wish SW7 was coming out in May 2016 just to see how huge its opening would be.

• Founder / Operator

As I said back in May with Star Trek 2, hopefully this CF opening will teach people to be more realistic with their predictions and use statistics over bias.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130825011030/mlp/images/f/f4/MauryLaughing.gif yeah right

I think we have to be careful before lumping everyone in the same group, though. Statistics aren't an exact science either (and I say that as one of those who consistently cautioned that CF risked being overestimated).

Edited by ShawnMR

As I said back in May with Star Trek 2, hopefully this CF opening will teach people to be more realistic with their predictions and use statistics over bias.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130825011030/mlp/images/f/f4/MauryLaughing.gif yeah right

It going to happen again next year with Captain America, Amazing Spider Man, X-Men, Transformers, and Fast and Furious. 

• Founder / Operator

Yea I had SW7 begged to shatter the midnight record but with a December release date, I don't see that happening anymore. Still wish SW7 was coming out in May 2016 just to see how huge its opening would be.

If anything, I feel like CF is one more piece of evidence to support SW7's chances at the midnight record. We need better evidence, for sure, but we're not going to get it (and by better, I mean a fresh franchise December opener with as much commercial hype as fan hype).

If CF can do $25.3m from 8pm onward without 3D, I really think SW7 has a great shot at topping $40m with 3D--but that assumes Disney gives it an 8pm opening as well. It won't be easy with the close proximity to Christmas, admittedly.

• Like 1

I think we have to be careful before lumping everyone in the same group, though. Statistics aren't an exact science either (and I say that as one of those who consistently cautioned that CF risked being overestimated).

Well I put some sarcasm in there, but stats always beat bias is what I was going for. Star Trek is likely to make x amount because of varying factors, it is not likely to make x amount because "you saw it on opening night and loved it and your friends loved it too". A lot of people are lowballing BvS because they think TDKR and MOS suck, but they don't look at the real world factors. And people lowballed Fast 6 because it was opening after Star Trek and "Star Trek was better". Same with MU vs DM2. "MU's trailer looked better and its Pixar so its locked for $300M". Thats what I was going for.

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 3

• Founder / Operator

Well I put some sarcasm in there, but stats always beat bias is what I was going for. Star Trek is likely to make x amount because of varying factors, it is not likely to make x amount because "you saw it on opening night and loved it and your friends loved it too". A lot of people are lowballing BvS because they think TDKR and MOS suck, but they don't look at the real world factors. And people lowballed Fast 6 because it was opening after Star Trek and "Star Trek was better". Same with MU vs DM2. "MU's trailer looked better and its Pixar so its locked for $300M". Thats what I was going for.

Agreed.

• Like 1