ChD

The Hateful Eight | Out NOW in Digital and 70mm | 187 minutes long including a 12 minutes intermission

15 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

That simply doesn't make any fucking sense at all

What I mean I can watch a slow burn movie like Once Upon a Time in The West but I would die of bore dom watching something like Cloud Atlas.

Perhaps the difference in how films are made and structured, one wants more instant gratification watching a movie these days. 

6 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

What I mean I can watch a slow burn movie like Once Upon a Time in The West but I would die of bore dom watching something like Cloud Atlas.

Perhaps the difference in how films are made and structured, one wants more instant gratification watching a movie these days. 

I think it's unfair to compare Once Upon A Time in the West as an example of an old movie and Cloud Atlas as an example of a modern movie. I love old classics just as much as anyone, but come on.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

I think it's unfair to compare Once Upon A Time in the West as an example of an old movie and Cloud Atlas as an example of a modern movie. I love old classics just as much as anyone, but come on.

This. 

You can't blanket statement an era. Some old films that are long are incredibly boring. Some new films that are long are fantastic.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Perhaps its the style of the movie or whether the story justifies such a long movie.

Like when i watch some old Sword and Sandal Epics, they are long but I think it makes sense they are that long as its a epic story. 

7 minutes ago, Stringer Bell Theory said:

Yeah, honestly this whole intermission thing is a gimmick. A pretty stupid one at that.

Meh, they used to do it all the time. Plus the setting is like a stage play, which obviously have intermissions. As long as it doesn't interrupt the pace of the film, it's a good time to get up and stretch/take a piss.

Edited by Jayhawk
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Perhaps its the style of the movie or whether the story justifies such a long movie.

Like when i watch some old Sword and Sandal Epics, they are long but I think it makes sense they are that long as its a epic story. 

I agree it really depends if the story justifies it. Older movies tend to move slower, so longer runtimes were seemingly more common, and maybe you prefer the style of old films, which is a completely valid opinion. 

• Like 1

It's not a technical limitation, it's simply a more civilized way to watch a long movie. The film's structured around a natural break, and you get a chance to stretch your legs, go to the bathroom, get more popcorn, whatever. Too bad Tarantino's not going the whole nine yards and having entr-acte music during the whole break.

• Like 6