CAYOM Year 8 Part 2: BO Predictions (4th Quarter)

May 4Starcraft: Brood War - $157.3m/$390.8mMay 11The Academy - $30.5m/$100.2mChristine - $8.5m/$15.7mMay 18Stranger In A Strange World - $28.6m/$69.1mDigimon: World Invasion - $40.7m/$118.9mMay 25Candy Crush - $24.6m/$80.5mThe Dresden Files: Stormfront - $38.7m/$127.1m

May

StarCraft: Brood War: 164.3/431.8

The Academy: 20.9/56.1

Christine: 14.6/41.0

Digimon: World Invasion: 51.7/142.0

Stranger in a Strange Land: 23.3/72.9

Candy Crush: 25.9/34.2/46.8/91.8

The Dresden Files: Stormfront: 37.5/123.8

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1

June 1

Hand Drawn Heroes - $73.8m/$270.1m

Interconnected: Cumulation - $58.5/$190.3m

June 8

The Chain - $12.7m/$24.0m

Age of Empires - $39.2m/$112.5m

June 15

Wizardversity - $31.7m/$99.5m

June 22

Godzilla: Apocalypse - $66.4m/$175.3m

June 29

Land of no Left Turns - $29.2m/$84.7m

I've decided, rather than merely giving a number, I'd give more of an indepth commentary along with my predictions.  

July 6-8

Looks like we've got quite a toss-up for this weekend as three big films battle it out. I’m reasonably confident American Gods is going to win it though. It’s an urban fantasy, which are generally underrepresented as far as blockbusters go but, as Dresden Files’s strong numbers have shown, there’s definitely an audience for them. In addition, it’s based on a reasonably popular existing property, it doesn't have much in the way of similarly themed competition (since Dresden Files differs enough that they don’t feel too similar) and it has the word ‘American’ in it on the 4th of July. I can see this doing pretty well.

For second place, I think it could go either way between Remember Me and Kill Them but edging towards the former. I don't think they'll do all that well though, not just because of American Gods's competition. While Remember Me is the bigger budget/concept flick, it’s also coming off the back end of two very successfully Sci-Fi’s (Starcraft and Interconnected) and I wouldn’t be too surprised if the GA had had their fill of Sci-Fi for this summer.

Kill Them might get a bit of a boost over Remember Me for being the first straight action flick released since Run & Gun, but I can’t see the reviews being very good for it and actioners don't tend to make as much as big budget sci-fi's. Besides, Uncharted's imminent release may hurt it in the same way Candy Crush was hurt by HDH.

American Gods- $43.6m/$69.3m/$144.7m

Remember Me- $30.2m/$39.8m/$92.1m

Kill Them- $25.5m/$36.4m/$68.3m

July 13-15

I expect Patchwork to have an excellent OW, mostly thanks to the Friday 13th opening, but the big name horror director behind it and general lack of big horror releases this summer (I’m not counting the Chain for obvious reasons) should also help. However, naturally, it will be pretty heavily frontloaded. Saturday/Sunday's performance will likely depend on how good the reviews are.

Time Space and One Blue Box will probably perform pretty well for a documentary. The success of the 50th in US cinemas has shown there’s an audience for Doctor Who related stuff.

Patchwork- $32.5m/$86.4m

Time, Space and One Blue Box- $2.4m/17.2m

July 20-22

I can see Uncharted 2 doing really damn well. While the blockbuster market has started to get pretty saturated, Uncharted is a sequel to a huge, well received film, based on a popular game series and is an Indiana Jones-esque adventure flick in a summer without many comparable films. 

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves- $82.4m/$249.8m

July 27-29

On the other hand, I can’t see The Immune: Permanence doing all that well. While it may have the advantage of being a sequel, it’s coming off a pretty packed Summer and doesn’t seem to have that much to make it stand out, especially when compared to the bigger Uncharted. With good reviews it may do decently, but I can’t see it breaking out much.

The Immune: Permanence- $28.8m/78.2m

Edited by rukaio101
  • Like 1

The first Immune film managed $27m/$88m, while the second got $35m/$91m. That would be a bit of a disappointment for Permanence, especially since it's supposed to be the end of the franchise.

Like I said, I don't think it's standing out enough in an already saturated market. It may get a bit higher from goodwill from previous entries, but I really can't see it being much of a success.

That said, I'll admit I accidentally got confused when I was looking up previous totals (thanks for not posting those) and thought the first film was the higher performing one. Taking the new totals into account, I'd probably put Permanence closer to $28m. Don't think it'll do much better though

Okay, I feel like doing August's totals before Numbers starts his. Surprised we haven't had more totals yet. Then again, I'm surprised we haven't had more reviews either.

August 3-5

One thing I’ve noticed about CAYOM is that many of us aren’t massive fans of writing Romantic Comedies. But if the success of A Love to Die For is any indication, there’s definitely an audience for them. So I'm expecting Romeo vs Juliet to do pretty well with that crowd. Admittedly, I don't think it'll do as well as A Love to Die For (which had action to draw in males and the big name duo of Tatum and Lawrence), but it should be a modest summer hit.

Romeo vs Juliet- $34.6m/119.7m

August 10-14

A musical and a Zombie Political thriller, huh? Not the most.... typical of pairings. Seriously though, these two could perform pretty well. They have some big names behind them and are different and appealing enough not to be too bogged down in the crowded summer schedule. I doubt they’ll astound, but they may get reasonable opening numbers.

I expect Feed to come out on top because, if World War Z and The Good The Bad and the Dead have taught me anything, it’s never to underestimate the appeal of zombies to the GA. But it'll probably be close.

Feed- $29.7m/$75.3m

The Who's Tommy- $28.2m/$83.8m

August 17-19

Catch the Pigeon’s success is likely going to depend on, after nearly two months, how much the GA have tired of HDH. If they are tiring, which is rather likely, then Catch the Pigeon bringing something new to the table is going to be highly appreciated, especially with summer coming to a close. 

Catch the Pigeon- $46.2m/$163.5m

August 24-26

I don’t think Madel will do all that well. It’s not a very standout premise, it lacks really big name stars, it’s on the very back end of the summer schedule and is coming between an animation tentpole and a very crowded holiday weekend. I can’t see a very good opening for this at all.

Madel- $7.3m/$15.7m

August 31-September 4

The winner of this weekend is going to depend on how much buzz Valley can get during its limited release. If it gets excellent reviews across the board and successfully creates hype, it may well take the weekend. At the moment though, taking into account the current reviews from myself, Numbers and Spaghetti, all of which seem to rank it as fine, not great, I don't think it's going to reach that point. In this case, the limited releases may end up working against the film this weekend as a decent chunk of potential audience will have already gone to see it. That said, due the rarity of war films this year, I wouldn't be surprised if this ended up doing decently overall.

With Valley out of the way, I’d probably give the weekend to The Gold Rare Leaf, although I still don’t think it’s going to be much of a smash. HDH’s success and the release of Catch the Pigeon two weeks before is seriously going to cut into it and, considering the painfully low budget for an animated film, it’s unlikely to build much hype or or look too appealing. That said, kids will watch anything and HDH has starved the market, so it'll still do pretty well.

Identity Thief... actually might do okay. As an action thriller, it's a viable alternative to the Valley's war drama and Gold Leaf's kid adventure. Its success will likely depend on whether how effective the marketing has been. Either way though, it's going to be pretty frontloaded.

The Gold Rare Leaf- $27.1m/$35.7m/$41.9m/$87.6m

Midnight in the Afghan Valley- $20.6m/$29.2m/$61.7m

Identity Thief- $19.3m/$28.5m/$41.1m

Edited by rukaio101
  • Like 2

American Gods: 40.4 (3-day)/72.5 (6-Day)/141.8Kill Them: 17.4 (3-Day)/30.1 (6-Day)/57.1Remember Me: 20.2 (3-Day)/33.5 (6-Day)/68.5Patchwork: 22.8/54.9Time, Space, and One Blue Box: 5.3/21.8Uncharted 2: Among Thieves: 90.2/258.3The Immune: Permanence: 30.1/82.6Midnight in the Afghan Valley: 148k (limited OW), 4.8m (wide OW)/50.6m Total

• Like 1

American G-d's 41.5m/70.3m/137.7m

Kill Them 30.0m/41.6m/75.5m

Remember Me 27.4m/37.5m/73.6m

Patchwork 17.5m/30.2m

Time, Space And One Blue Box 3.6m/25.2m

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves 85.5m/250,1m

The Immune: Permanence 30.7m/85,4

Midnight In The Afghan Valley 20.0m/26,0m [31st august opening]/65.4m

Romeo vs. Juliet: 26.4/110.6 (legging it out due to lack of rom coms)Wed. Aug. 8th- The Who's Tommy: 12.6 (3-Day)/21.5 (5-Day)/51.7Feed: 36.1/88.5​Catch That Pigeon: 33.2/115.9Madel: 9.4/24.0Wed. Aug. 29- The Gold Rare Leaf: 14.2 (3-Day)/22.8 (5-Day)/28.1 (6/Day)60.4Identity Crisis: 20.5 (3-Day)/25.7 (4-Day)/62.0Resonance: 208k (limited OW)/7.4 (wide OW)/38.2

• Like 3

American Gods - $39.2m/$68.5m/$154.8m

Remember Me - $32.6m/$54.9m/$115.2m

Kill Them - $14.9m/$25.3m/$51.4m

Patchwork - $33.9m/$96.1m

Time, Space, & One Blue Box - $3.5m/$12.7m

Uncharted: Among Thieves - $91.6m/$258.2m

The Immune: Permanence - $29.3m/$81.3m

Midnight In The Afghan Valley - $0.2m/$13.2m/$56.2m

Romeo vs. Juliet: 26.4/110.6 (legging it out due to lack of rom coms)Wed. Aug. 8th- The Who's Tommy: 12.6 (3-Day)/21.5 (5-Day)/51.7Feed: 36.1/88.5​Catch That Pigeon: 33.2/115.9Madel: 9.4/24.0Wed. Aug. 29- The Gold Rare Leaf: 14.2 (3-Day)/22.8 (5-Day)/28.1 (6/Day)60.4Identity Crisis: 20.5 (3-Day)/25.7 (4-Day)/62.0Resonance: 208k (limited OW)/7.4 (wide OW)/38.2

That number would stink for Tommy, but frankly, I'm not expecting huge numbers, especially with a somewhat-off putting plot, over-the-top filmmaking, and a lack of clear, A-list names. (though Hoult is probably more famous in the game) That, and Hiccup's been a bit too kind to my films this year, so I may be due for a disaster.  :lol:

Updated my predictions with domestic totals (as well as shifting my prediction for The Immune (since I got confused about past totals)).

Figured, since this thread is getting active, I should finish September's totals.

September 7-9

Like with most things involving Killer Computer 2... I really don't know what to think. I'm hoping flop though.

Killer Computer 2- $1.4m/$2.1m

September 14-16

I could see Death Note breaking out pretty well. It's an original and interesting premise that lends itself well to appealing marketing, a psychological thriller released after a summer of blockbusters (giving the audience something fresh), and the anime is popular enough to supply a good sized built-in fanbase. In addition, there's no really big releases to compete with it for at least the next two weeks and I'm confident enough in the finished project to think it'll get good reviews (which is pretty rare for me), so legs might be pretty good.

Death Note: The Game Begins- $35.5m/$123.6m

September 21-23

Cinema Studies might do pretty well for itself. There hasn't been a straight school drama released for a quite a while, the reviews so far have been good (albeit not outstanding) and there's the possibility of Oscar buzz.

Cinema Studies- $18.6m/$69.4m

September 28-30

I don't think the Valley will do all that well. It hasn't been too long since the last horror release (Feed), found footage has always been fairly divisive, reviews aren't going to be very good (as par for the course with a ridiculously short summary) and many may just save their money for the inevitable Halloween horror release.

Resonance, on the other hand, I think will perform excellently. The reviews so far have been very positive and, combined with the limited releases, it should be able to build quite a lot of hype for its wide release. Liam Neeson is naturally popular and Oscar Buzz will be in full force. All in all, the perfect makings of a minor breakout hit. Naturally, The Valley will still come out on top for the weekend, due to being released in three times as many theatres, but it'll be closer than it should have any right to be.

The Valley- $14.7m/$24.3m

Resonance- $13.5m/$35.6m

Edited by rukaio101

Resonance, on the other hand, I think will perform excellently. The reviews so far have been very positive and, combined with the limited releases, it should be able to build quite a lot of hype for its wide release. Liam Neeson is naturally popular and Oscar Buzz will be in full force. All in all, the perfect makings of a minor breakout hit. Naturally, The Valley will still come out on top for the weekend, due to being released in three times as many theatres, but it'll be closer than it should have any right to be.

Resonance- $13.5m/$35.6m

I'm actually quite glad Resonance is getting good reviews, because I was worried it would be a hit or a miss.