Impact

2011 Best Picture Predicts

The Artist (momentum is everything with Oscars, and TA seems to have it. It's lovable by mainstream aswell)

The descendants (the glowing reviews are already here. It reminds me a lot of Up in the air)

Midnight in Paris (Comeback, success, despite being a summer release it hasn't lost its heat)

Moneyball (has many factors Oscars do love, and also is a mainstream film and well respected by critics)

Very probable

Extremely loud (not shown)

The Help (voters can see this as an actress vehicle, but the success it had can proppel to a nom)

War Horse (not shown. Also the long time it's been as the frontrunner can turn back to dissappointing results)

Possible

Hugo (good early WOM, but it needs the mainstream appeal)

Tinker spy (critics liked it a lot, but possibly not loved it the way a film needs to get Oscars)

The tree of life (divisive film, but has too many diehard supporters, It can get the necessary #1 votes)

Not likely (but not out of the race)

Harry Potter (heavy campaign I didn't expect, but not the kind of film and genre that will get enough supporters)

The Ides of March (the descendants heat hurts this film options)

Dragon Tatoo (not seen, and will likely be divisive between those who preffer the european version)

Young Adult (not seen, but if it's good enough and Theron gets raves for this, it can happen)

Drive (mmmmmaybe we're killing its chances before we should. It had enough critical love)

War Horse reviews are really flooding out. No big surprise, but it's a sure-fire lock for a ton of nods. It's the kind of film that leads the pack with 10 or so nods. Unless Dragon Tattoo or Extremely Loud really knock us out, I'll say it comes down to War Horse vs. The Artist.

My ranking:

1. War Horse

2. The Artist

3. The Descendants

4. Midnight in Paris

5. The Help

6. Moneyball

7. Hugo

8. The Tree of Life

9. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

10. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

I'm keeping Dragon Tattoo and Incredibly Close at the bottom of my 10 until they start screening.

MONEYBALL isn't locked. In fact, some pundits are thinking it's burnt off its early BP momentum and the campaign might need to be jumpstarted.

It will be totally back in the conversation when the critics awards begin in a few days.

In fact we start with the New York critics on Tuesday! 3 days until awards season begins! Can't wait.:D

War Horse has begun screening to critics, trade groups, and oscar bloggers.

Peter Hammond seemed to love it.

Kris Tapley from In Contention enjoyed it, but has reservations.

Jeff Wells is in the process of going off the deep end in disliking it as emotionally manipulative, clinically calculating, and utterly simplistic. Of course that isn't too surprising since he considers Spielberg a

high-end journeyman hack with an all-but-incorrigible sentimental streak
Edited by 4815162342

This year is horrible as far as BP goes. HP&DH2 all the way but it won`t happen. Some generic shit that nobody will remember is bound to take it - War Horse or The Descendants.

Awardsdaily`s obsession du jour ITLOBAH must be a piece of shit. Why else they are going to release Serbian language version? Artistic reasons? LMAO! More likely a fab excuse for bombing with critics and audiences. Language barrier, stupid audience, you know the drill. I hope this shitty CNN propaganda is an epic fail.

Awardsdaily`s obsession du jour ITLOBAH must be a piece of shit. Why else they are going to release Serbian language version? Artistic reasons? LMAO! More likely a fab excuse for bombing with critics and audiences. Language barrier, stupid audience, you know the drill. I hope this shitty CNN propaganda is an epic fail.

You think? A review leaked a few weeks ago and it was really positive. I doubt it has a good shot at the Oscars but we'll find out soon enough.

You think? A review leaked a few weeks ago and it was really positive. I doubt it has a good shot at the Oscars but we'll find out soon enough.

Leaked review that was postive is just one review. There was also a negative reaction. The movie is a propaganda garbage. I hope The Crusader comes over to explain a few things but the movie is clearly taking a side where one is the bad guy and other is victim which is wrong. It`s ridiculously B&W approach to a complicated situation and as such has no business in Best Anything save Best Fabrication and Simplification of Truth category.

Edited by fishnets