Impact

2011 Best Picture Predicts

Dragon Tattoo's chances of a nod are fucked. It's getting literally zero awards attention from critics. I can just hope I enjoy it at this point...

All I can see it getting attention for at this point is some technical nods, Cinematography, and Score.

Edited by Kevin Bacon

Dragon Tattoo's chances of a nod are fucked. It's getting literally zero awards attention from critics. I can just hope I enjoy it at this point...

All I can see it getting attention for at this point is some technical nods, Cinematography, and Score.

Rumour has it that GWTDT`s best chance at nom aside techies, Maramania (oh, wait, where`s the mania?) withdrew herself from contention. Such noble act after piss poor showing at critical nomionations. :P

The Artist (NYFCC/NYFCO/Boston/DC/NBR top ten/GS nom)

The descendants (LAFCA/AFI top ten/DC nom/NBR top ten/GS nom)

Hugo (NBR winner/AFI top ten/GS nom/DC nom)

The tree of life (San Francisco/NBR top ten/LAFCA runner up/AFI top ten)

Moneyball

Probable (from most probable to less probable)

Midnight in Paris

The Help

War Horse

Extremely loud

Not likely (but not out of the race)

Harry Potter (heavy campaign I didn't expect, but not the kind of film and genre that will get enough supporters)

Tinker spy (critics liked it a lot, but possibly not loved it the way a film needs to get Oscars)

Dragon Tatoo (not seen, and will likely be divisive between those who preffer the european version)

Young Adult (not seen, but if it's good enough and Theron gets raves for this, it can happen)

Drive (mmmmmaybe we're killing its chances before we should. It had enough critical love)

I'm guessing we will have 9-10 noms this year. Why? Not sure, maybe because there's no consensus about which film is the frontrunner. We have very solid options with a lot of supporters.

Rumour has it that GWTDT`s best chance at nom aside techies, Maramania (oh, wait, where`s the mania?) withdrew herself from contention. Such noble act after piss poor showing at critical nomionations. :P

That's really a good and valuable movie.

The Artist (NYFCC/NYFCO/Boston/DC/NBR top ten/GS nom)

The descendants (LAFCA/AFI top ten/DC nom/NBR top ten/GS nom)

Hugo (NBR winner/AFI top ten/GS nom/DC nom)

The tree of life (San Francisco/NBR top ten/LAFCA runner up/AFI top ten)

Moneyball

Probable (from most probable to less probable)

Midnight in Paris

The Help

War Horse

Extremely loud

Not likely (but not out of the race)

Harry Potter (heavy campaign I didn't expect, but not the kind of film and genre that will get enough supporters)

Tinker spy (critics liked it a lot, but possibly not loved it the way a film needs to get Oscars)

Dragon Tatoo (not seen, and will likely be divisive between those who preffer the european version)

Young Adult (not seen, but if it's good enough and Theron gets raves for this, it can happen)

Drive (mmmmmaybe we're killing its chances before we should. It had enough critical love)

I'm guessing we will have 9-10 noms this year. Why? Not sure, maybe because there's no consensus about which film is the frontrunner. We have very solid options with a lot of supporters.

I think we will have 8 nominees this year.

I think we will have 8 nominees this year.

I'm afraid of that.

But I can't see any of my top 9 missing the mark. Right now MiP, WH and Incredibly loud have the weakest possition IMO, but Allen / Spielberg / Daldry have proven many times before the Academy loves them.

On the other hand, Drive is getting major attention from critics prizes. It really can be the dark horse of the race.

Yeah I know. I remember Into the wild or Collateral hype transforming in only two noms both. A sad thing, IMO, because the two were great films.

But then I think the scenario is now very different with these 10 possible nominations. With this scenario critics movies like TKAAR and Winter's bone were nominated. Who knows what will happen?