Ezen Baklattan

Spaghetti Kitchen: Year 8 (COUNTDOWN!!!)

10. The Dresden Files: Stormfront

Damn, this was super cool. Robert Downey Jr. is a capable leading man in this magic based thriller, and the action is kept in tight control, as well as sporting a sense of pretty great wit, under the hands of director Shane Black. It's a blockbuster that breaks the mold and becomes highly enjoyable.

9. Hand Drawn Heroes

My film. Abstaining.

8. Mushishi

Dat atmosphere! Pacific Rim proved to me that Guillermo Del Toro is a master of creating atmosphere and world building, and Mushishi, not to mention its awesome Japanese aesthetic with DAT HISIASHI SCORE, is a perfect example of that genius. The story becomes a bit loose during the second act, but it's still a surprising and highly satisfying picture.

7. Cinema Studies

My film. Abstaining

• Like 1

6. The Legend of Redwall

Yeah, this film was super great. The film, based on the excellent book of the same name, captures the spirit of the novel with great heart and brilliance, and it opens the doors to this amazing fantasy world, both in terms of aesthetic and mythos, that I can't wait to explore even further.

5. The Giver

Already reviewed, yo, but it's it good. Lynch is a bit of an odd choice for direction, but it's still pretty good otherwise.

4. The Who's Tommy

My personal favorite of my Y8 filmography, capturing the spirit of the source material and sporting some really fun and exciting technical design and a few great performances. (I think Byrne is pretty great in this, as is Tennant, and Hoult actually can sing!) It's just a huge dash of wonder and excitement.

• Like 1

Posted Image

Damn, this film was great. The atmosphere is perfect, the sound design (obviously) gets under his skin, and Neeson and Bernal's performances deliver on the psychological outlook. The story is fairly straight forward, but the movie's all in the intensity, and in terms of that, Resonance has it down in spades.

Posted Image

Martin Scorsese is a brilliant director, creating several compelling narratives of crime, redemption, violence, and more within stories of the 20th century. His next film, The Bronx Is Burning, looks at a very intense time in Baseball history. While not like the many crime films that Scorcese has done, The Bronx Is Burning packs a powerful punch that proves to score the Numbers team a run at the game of film.

The baseball story here is extremely fascinating, and it comes off as more than just a typical story of baseball redemption. The darker undertones that the film take really set it apart from other sports movies, such as 42. The whole movie is incredibly fascinating to watch, and Scorsese's direction really brings the film to impressive heights.

Stanley Tucci and Chiwetel Ejiofor are the true guiding forces of the movie, even if the rest of the supporting cast also brings their A-game. Each of them gives a tour de force performance as the Yankee manager and new star player respectively. Jackson's story is not often one presented in film, and it's not like the stories of other African Americans in sports during the 20th century. It's a unique story that Scorsese pulls off with much grace and slick direction.

It's not a perfect movie, and even in the incredibly well-written script has a few pacing issues, but I can't find a whole lot to complain about here. It's an excellent movie that proves that Scorcese is as strong a director as he's often been, and it also features his consistent brilliant soundtrack. Regardless of whether or not you like baseball, it's definitely worth your time.

Edited by Spaghetti
  • Like 1

And my favorite movie of Y8 is...

Posted Image

*Yes, I know the poster's messed up*

I don't know what exactly, but something in this movie clicked with me. It's a soulful and complex story about a man who seeks to learn more about the world, and the cost that comes to him when he discovers the cost of his wisdom. It's dark and moody enough that Burton is a good choice (though it's really cool that he, Depp, and Carter are stepping out of their comfort zones to an certain extent in this film), and Leto and Fisher are also really great. In the end, I was hugely surprised by the wonder of this film, and it's truly something to cherish. This is why I love watching movies.

Edited by Spaghetti

Posted Image

Martin Scorsese is a brilliant director, creating several compelling narratives of crime, redemption, violence, and more within stories of the 20th century. His next film, The Bronx Is Burning, looks at a very intense time in Baseball history. While not like the many crime films that Scorcese has done, The Bronx Is Burning packs a powerful punch that proves to score the Numbers team a run at the game of film.

The baseball story here is extremely fascinating, and it comes off as more than just a typical story of baseball redemption. The darker undertones that the film take really set it apart from other sports movies, such as 42. The whole movie is incredibly fascinating to watch, and Scorsese's direction really brings the film to impressive heights. The prologue feels a bit out of place, however. If the film wanted to show how dark the crime was at New York City, it would have felt a bit more natural to show more of it than they did, albeit without going overboard.

Stanley Tucci and Chiwetel Ejiofor are the true guiding forces of the movie, even if the rest of the supporting cast also brings their A-game. Each of them gives a tour de force performance as the Yankee manager and new star player respectively. Jackson's story is not often one presented in film, and it's not like the stories of other African Americans in sports during the 20th century. It's a unique story that Scorsese pulls off with much grace and slick direction.

It's not a perfect movie, and even in the incredibly well-written script has a few pacing issues, but I can't find a whole lot to complain about here. It's an excellent movie that proves that Scorcese is as strong a director as he's often been, and it also features his consistent brilliant soundtrack. Regardless of whether or not you like baseball, it's definitely worth your time.

I see you used your old review. The pre-credits prologue is no longer in the movie since I decided that it wasn't that important after I took out the crime subplot.

• Like 1