baumer

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013)

102 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

it was much better then AuJ and it had alot more action and the pacing was also better in this one. Smaug was just awesome and the best part was how he and Bilbo exchanged convo in that first meeting. much like many people I am alittle dissapointed it cut the film in that cliffhanger, but it still setup the next pretty well.A-

• Like 1

Personally I thought Smaug  was the best movie experience of the year. Im wondering how many folks viewed it in the format it was meant to be seen..My audience gasped and was clapping in an EPX 50 ft theater high FPS rate Digital 3D

version.. I think alot of folks would be giving the film a higher rating experience how surreal some scenes

were signs swinging and seeming like their right in the audience. Certain elements in the backgrounds

coming out to meet you right in your nose.. Like bees fire etc.. Very well done.

I havent seen the first, but this film is very different from LOTR films , but stands strong as

a much more  witty and entertainment more action and enjoyable moments than oscar caliber

filmmaking that was Rings.. Still its a tour de fore. Especially Smaug, the barrel scenes in 48FPS

and meeting the Skinwalker guy and the fights with Legolias and Twanee etc. 

The love interest situation going on that was added...I'm not sure why some of our members

are saying its not a welcomed addition..  Most says that was a wonderful take  on the Hobbit Story.

PJ Knows you need to add things to sell Hobbit as  a bigtime triology..And hes doing a great job.

Lets stop trying to make this out to be LOTR.. It is not and should be judged on its own merit as

a film thats taking us on a epic tale via Jackson and  team's interuprutation..

I see the domestic rallying back, after storms come back. Lets see if Im right.

I give it a 9.4 out of 10.

TT  10/10

Fellowship 9/10

ROTK 9.8/10

Edited by Superman001
  • Like 2

it was much better then AuJ and it had alot more action and the pacing was also better in this one. Smaug was just awesome and the best part was how he and Bilbo exchanged convo in that first meeting. much like many people I am alittle dissapointed it cut the film in that cliffhanger, but it still setup the next pretty well.A-

I loved it too Tawasal.. Did you see the High FPS 3D Version ? :)

• Like 1

So on a second viewing, the film as a whole improved a bit, but one thing bugs me a good amount:

Absolutely zero people in Laketown notice an Orc pack rampaging about and getting chased and murderized by a pair of Elves. You'd think at least one civilian or town guard would have spotted them at some point and raised an alarm.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1

So on a second viewing, the film as a whole improved a bit, but one thing bugs me a good amount:

Absolutely zero people in Laketown notice an Orc pack rampaging about and getting chased and murderized by a pair of Elves. You'd think at least one civilian or town guard would have spotted them at some point and raised an alarm.

I guess Colbert was too busy doing his daily report to spy on what's going on.

So on a second viewing, the film as a whole improved a bit, but one thing bugs me a good amount: Absolutely zero people in Laketown notice an Orc pack rampaging about and getting chased and murderized by a pair of Elves. You'd think at least one civilian or town guard would have spotted them at some point and raised an alarm.

60 years of no particular threats have made 'em pretty flabby when it comes to security....
  • Like 1

Ýep, that bugged me, too -

especially when we just witnessed how difficult it was for the dwarves to enter town ... (or maybe they were just ripped off by Bard?!)

I think it's alot like the first in that there is about an hour and 45 minutes of boring, CGI filled, needless crap, and an hour of some really promising film-making, mostly towards the end again, that will make me come back for the third one. I loved the Smaug stuff. The barrel scene was cartoony and silly, but I had fun. Freeman was great again, and I liked the last couple of Gandalf scenes, even if they feel tacked on to connect it to the larger trilogy. But it still suffers from a ton of poorly done stuff. Awful CGI at points. A cartoony, video game tone and fight choreography that felt way too fake. And worst of all, outside of Bilbo and Gandalf, who we know live, I don't give a shit about any of the characters on an emotional level at all. Especially since they seem invulnerable. I liked seeing Legolas back but why was he here, beside to tack on filler? Why did they use so much CGI when practical effects could have easily been done? Why didn't they eliminate an hour from each of the last two movies, chop em up, combine them, and cut off the first in the series just as Smaug awakens? That would have been dope. These movies just feel like heartless, overstuffed, and mediocrely made cash grabs. And they shouldn't because the book is great, the universe is great, and PJ can direct. This series needed an editor and a script advisor, for sure.

C (Improvement, but not enough)

• Like 5

I do think the Smaug/Bilbo sequence works but I think the editing between that moment and scenes with the other dwarves, Kili/Tauriel and Orc/Legolas almost destroys it. AUJ wasn't afraid to give us 20 straight minutes of Gollum at the beginning of its third act. I felt like we needed more Smaug time. 

• Like 2

Cheap graphics especially the gold melting scene.  Too long, sucky cliffhanger, the audience were like WTF moment and wanted to get out of the theater quick.  Feels like 4 hour movie with scenes that shouldn't be in there and dwarves spending like maybe 45 min to try to kill the dragon.  I'm a big time LOTR fan and I didn't like this.  Neither did my friends who watched it.  Didn't like the dwarf-elf romance either.  Hope the last movie is better.

• Like 1

Got AUJ Extended Edition for Christmas. I was happy with the gift but I couldn't help but first think "Why exactly was this extended?"

I enjoyed the added scenes quite a lot, at least those that added dialogue, and some of ther others as well. In fact, some of those dialogue lines shouldn't have been cut at all for the theatrcal release.

• Like 2