grim22

Everything wrong with your screenplay in one infographic

An anonymous professional scriptreader read 300 screenplays for five different studios recently, all the while tracking the many recurring problems found along the way. Pretty interesting to see the issues with most scripts and screenplays

Full picture is below or you can read the slideshow view:  http://www.fastcocreate.com/3022129/all-the-things-that-are-wrong-with-your-screenplay-in-one-handy-infographic#1

Posted Image

• Like 9

Sometimes I'm asking myself how many people start writing a script because they have a good idea, not because they wanna be part of a movie. Anyone making a cliched Horror/Slasher movies or Action movies with cheesy one liners surely can't think he had a good movie idea...

• Like 1

If this is real, it goes to show that the female underrepresentation problem goes deeper than the studios not wanting female protagonists. Females just don't seem to be as interested in screenwriting as males.

I don't think it's necessarily that they're not interested, just that there's a huge cultural and industry-wide mountain to overcome.

• Like 1

I don't think it's necessarily that they're not interested, just that there's a huge cultural and industry-wide mountain to overcome.

Yeah, but as long as males keep sending in the vast majority of screenplays it's never going to change. I think there needs to be some sort of grassroots encouragement.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

Writing stories -- even bad ones -- is harder than most people expect. Writing good ones is really hard.

I can't even get good ideas to come when I want them to, usually they happen at random. ^_^

Edited by Half-baked C00k13

Yeah, but as long as males keep sending in the vast majority of screenplays it's never going to change. I think there needs to be some sort of grassroots encouragement.

Yes, of course. One of the problems is that what tends to be bought these days is primarily aimed at male adolescents (and those with an affinity towards movies aimed at male adolescents).

Interesting info.

I've tried a bit of writing (outside of the CAYOM story treatments) but it hasn't gone much of anywhere. Mostly because of college, law school, and now job searching, I haven't had much in the way of stamina for prolonged, sustained writing sessions, even if I like to think I have some good ideas.

• Like 2

Yes, of course. One of the problems is that what tends to be bought these days is primarily aimed at male adolescents (and those with an affinity towards movies aimed at male adolescents).

I just wrote a "novel" for school, and I didn't include a single female character. :P

Thats pretty neat! Me being a script writer, that helps. I'm gonna print that out and start using that as a checklist. Thanks for posting this Grim22.

Writing stories -- even bad ones -- is harder than most people expect. Writing good ones is really hard.

Amen. And you're never finished. Every time after I print out a draft and read it im ready to change/add/omit something yet again.

There's certainly a boatload of untapped settings judging from that map. I'm really surprised no one bothered with Phoenix or Dallas.

I try to use locations that you dont see everyday. I've used Houston, Ft. Myers Florida, Long Island New York, Mexico, Denver, Shanghai China but will probably change to another E Asian City, Orlando area, Manhattan but I might change it, Atlanta, a fictional African country, an atoll, a weather one that effects all of NA, and a couple others.

I can't even get good ideas to come when I want them to, usually they happen at random. ^_^

Ive realized that if you sit and try to think up stuff, you're just wasting time. Its literally impossible for me to just come up with a story off the bat, and ive tried. All the stories ive gotten have either came to me randomly by my own experiences, a friend experience, or by seeing something on tv, real life, etc. And even one time by listening to a song. I literally cant sit and say "okay, I need a new idea, whats it gonna be?". You just gotta let them come fresh to you and they will :) , and bam youll get that lightbulb over the head feeling, and its a good feeling. And dont call your idea bad. Even if its a common idea, like a road trip movie, an alien attack, or a romantic comedy about best friends, you can still make it great by changing up the content and adding something fresh! You do learn as you go, I still am. Try downloading some scripts to use as templates and see what they do, and read up on the do's and donts. I feel like a script is never perfect, but it doesn't have to be!

I give my female characters something to do. I wrote a movie about a robot attack and in the first draft i had the main character's wife just hiding in the closet and whining during the whole attack, but I realized she needed to be given a lot more to do, so ive revised it and she has a nice role now. Shes still in the house during the attack (with her kids), but she does something pretty badass and doesn't whine anymore. But I agree, if there is not gonna be many women trying their luck, then men should try to give them some stronger roles as well. 

Sorry guys not trying to sound like a professional here haha I'm not. Just adding in my two cents on what I do and learned over the past few years. Ive talked with Tele about all this, hopefully I can get this show on the road soon and you guys can see some of my stories on the silver screen.  :)

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 1

That is a great arcticle. Thanks Grim for posting it.

I wonder how many scripts it takes to produce one actual movie. Probably at least dozens. Out of the scripts I have read so far, most received a "Pass". There are some good ones but even though couldnot get made because too risky.

Things like this make you realize scriptwriting is a very hard task and a clusterf*ck to deal with because there are so many trappings and cliches to fall into, you know those cliches worked but you risk to end up being unoriginal, boring and predictable if you rely too much on them. You realize how important it is to have a plot structure, an overall arching of the story and set of believable motivations for your characters because it's easy to mess and write meandering gibberish that make little to no sense.

I highly respect good scriptwriters because they demonstrate higher understanding of storytelling and the subtlety of human empathy mechanics. They know the tropes, archetypes and how to subvert them. You got to be very clever to pull off a good script.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 6

Everyone has ideas... the problem is the writing. You always end up realizing you forgot a small detail and then try to squeeze it in so it makes sense... THEN you rage and end up rewriting the whole shit for one small detail

• Like 3