CoolioD1

Weekend Estimates: The Hobbit - 73.6M | Frozen - 22.2M | Madea - 16M

With 220m DOM, it needs 780M OS, which would be 65m higher than AUJ. 

This is what now people are predicting:

850m Hobbit (200m dom, 650m OS)

DOS 260-680-940 

http://forums.boxoffice.com/index.php?/topic/9098-catching-fire-over-the-hobbit-desolation-of-smaug-worldwide/page-16

I think high 600m OS is more realistic at this point.

No way it will only get 220m DOM though, unless it's opening to like 55m. Again, Holiday legs are in effect. There's no reason it shouldn't hit 250 with a mid-high 60's OW. From there it would need like a 4% OS increase to hit 1b. Maybe that won't happen, but it would be highly unusual as a blockbuster sequel to not increase OS at least a little.

Edited by MovieMan89

Anita Busch just wrote a brilliant paragraph about "Spin" in the weekend report. Nikki used to do this a lot

Warner Bros.’ The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug generated $8.8 million from midnight screenings. The studio is calling it “the second biggest midnight numbers ever in December.” Last year, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey brought in about $13 million in a similar number of theaters at midnight.

Now, this reminds me of something I haven’t thought about in a long, long time but could use a mention: The studios are always looking for SOMEthing to tout … SOME way to use the box office to tout its numbers. When this first started years ago, we used to roll our eyes as we’d be told things like, “It’s the second biggest five-day opening for a May.” Everything can be spun, right? Such as, “the second biggest midnight in the South during an election year” or “it’s the highest box office three-day during a leap year.”

:rofl:

Edited by grim22
  • Like 3

I actually really liked the LOTR trilogy but jumped on the "Floppit" train after falling asleep during my 3D TH1 showing. What a waste of $14 lol. I still haven't watched TH2 yet but I actually hope it's a good movie.

Dude I loved LOTR as well I own all the EE DVDs. But Floppit 1 totally bastardized the material hence my crusade. They were all shot at the same time and hence they're all shit and deserve the get they got.