CoolioD1

Weekend Estimates: The Hobbit - 73.6M | Frozen - 22.2M | Madea - 16M

Oh my! I agree with you on all of these movies.

What is your stance on Bourne though? For me it's Supremacy, Ultimatum, Identity. I think I'm in the vast minority for preferring the second movie for that series. There was just something about the pace of that film and climax in Russia that really worked for me. I just really liked how he went to visit the girl and say sorry to her.

SatDOS 23.8,FRZ 10.1,TP 6.2,CF 5.6,Thor2 1.2,OOTF 1AH 300k,SMB 160k,ILD 140k

That's a 98% increase for Frozen. If it falls 34% Sunday it should do $21.8 million over the 3-day. That's a 31.1% drop from last week. Not the -30% I was hoping for, but better than Tangled/TS2 at the same point. I'll happily take that.

I think Bourne Supremacy/Ultimatum might be the only franchise where I prefer a sequel over the original. Even with Terminator I feel the storytelling in the original was better, despite the severe budget discrepancy and VFX difference between the two. T2 is an awesome sequel though. Maybe Empire Strikes Back, though I pretty much view the two as equals. Godfather 2 perhaps but I tend to lean towards the original story in New York.

I also think the original Terminator is the best. It's Cameron's shortest film by a damn sight. It's amazing how economic he is and still manages to sell everything perfectly.
  • Like 3

Doesn't look like the weather hurt Frozen at all for Saturday.

It's a 98% jump for Frozen. Last Saturday it was 124%.

CF jumped 36%. Last Saturday it jumped 53%.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 2

My love for Terminator 1/ Judgement Day is unmatched.

I wish I could warp back in time and prevent T-3/Salvation from happening and get James Cameron to make a real Terminator 3 instead of True Lies.

• Like 1

LOLNot hitting 70m.

It actually should. First hobbit only fell 28.8% on its first Sunday. It would have to fall over 36% on Sunday not to hit it. Should hit 71m with that Saturday, maybe 72m if it follows the first.

Edited by StarSaber
  • Like 2

I also think the original Terminator is the best. It's Cameron's shortest film by a damn sight. It's amazing how economic he is and still manages to sell everything perfectly.

Just the concepts he came up with for it are incredible. I love Back To The Future, but I think the original Terminator is probably the best time travel movie ever made. The original Terminator shows Cameron's talent in all its glory. Basically no budget and awesome ideas.

• Like 3

What is your stance on Bourne though? For me it's Supremacy, Ultimatum, Identity. I think I'm in the vast minority for preferring the second movie for that series. There was just something about the pace of that film and climax in Russia that really worked for me. I just really liked how he went to visit the girl and say sorry to her.

Supremacy is hands down my favorite. The pace, the music, that foot chase in Moscow that led up to the car chase was ridiculous. I loved the contrast from the beginning of the movie (warmness of Goa ) to the cold Russian landscape. There is so much I love about that movie I could go on and on.

Now between Identity and Ultimatum it's a toss up.  I like how small things are revealed about his identity in the first movie. We the viewer find out things as he does. The Bourne v. Desh fight in Ultimatum is still may favorite fight scene of all time. 

As most people here know, I love that series.

• Like 2

Supremacy is hands down my favorite. The pace, the music, that foot chase in Moscow that led up to the car chase was ridiculous. I loved the contrast from the beginning of the movie (warmness of Goa ) to the cold Russian landscape. There is so much I love about that movie I could go on and on.

Now between Identity and Ultimatum it's a toss up.  I like how small things are revealed about his identity in the first movie. We the viewer find out things as he does. The Bourne v. Desh fight in Ultimatum is still may favorite fight scene of all time. 

As most people here know, I love that series.

Wow, we have eerily similar views on those movies. I definitely feel like Supremacy is clearly ahead of the other two and you could make an argument for either 1 or 3 over each other.

I think I give a slight edge to 3 over 1 because of Greengrass. If he had directed the first one, there is a decent chance I would have felt it was the best of the series. But...and this is a big but...I really like Brian Cox. That guy is a great actor. He has a much bigger role in Supremacy than Identity. Plus it's a shorter film with incredible pacing. At the end of the day #2 is just better in this series.

Just the concepts he came up with for it are incredible. I love Back To The Future, but I think the original Terminator is probably the best time travel movie ever made. The original Terminator shows Cameron's talent in all its glory. Basically no budget and awesome ideas.

I love the original Terminator. LOL I was just watching it the other day and all I could think of was how far special effects had come. But the story was so captivating. That is Cameron's gift. He knows how to tell a story and never compromises it for action. The action is incidental to the story. I still don't know how he managed to make Titanic the beautiful love story it was and capture the disaster to near perfection not only from an effects stand point but also as a human tragedy. 

• Like 4

Wow, we have eerily similar views on those movies. I definitely feel like Supremacy is clearly ahead of the other two and you could make an argument for either 1 or 3 over each other.

I think I give a slight edge to 3 over 1 because of Greengrass. If he had directed the first one, there is a decent chance I would have felt it was the best of the series. But...and this is a big but...I really like Brian Cox. That guy is a great actor. He has a much bigger role in Supremacy than Identity. Plus it's a shorter film with incredible pacing. At the end of the day #2 is just better in this series.

Man Brian Cox was incredible. "His mind is broken. We broke it!"

• Like 1

Based on those #s, Frozen and Catching Fire weekends could both be about $1 m lower than I was thinking this morning (and was already factoring in the weather a bit at the time), so looks like there was some overall slowing on SAT to me.

Edited by JarJarBinks

That is Cameron's gift. He knows how to tell a story and never compromises it for action. The action is incidental to the story.

That is one of his gifts, but I also think he is the best action director in the world. I always think back to the 18 wheeler/dirt bike chase in T2. I love that shot where the camera is at ground level following Arnold's motorcycle as he passes the 18 wheeler in a tight spot. Impeccable direction and framing choice with the cameras.

• Like 2

Just got done with watching DOS. The First one was boring, this one is better but not by that much. I know lots of people are complainning about Tauriel character was unnecessary, but I thought she was the best part of the film.