CoolioD1

Weekend Estimates: The Hobbit - 73.6M | Frozen - 22.2M | Madea - 16M

Is "there's a snowstorm!" this year's "Just wait until kids get out of school!" as the go to excuse from Ringers?

don;t understand this. Hobbit 1 was at 150m at the end of its first week yet ended up at 300m. So holidays did help it. No summer sequel movie at 150m at the end of its first week would get to 300m. 

• Like 2

Are you sure about that?

I think the 3D market share was higher than 60%.. Regardless its still impressive as folks have to want to pay the upscales prices for Harry Potter to make that 960M OS. :)....Still Smaug isnt done yet...And HP does have a film that didnt crack 800Mil in its saga.

Though HP3 POF is one of the best epic fantasies ever made, which was strange to me..lol

With the liberties that studios sometime take with the Sunday estimate, won't be surprised if WB show a 19% Sunday drop for DOS and give it a weekend of 75 mil. Especially if they(ahem..along with me) hope the weather played a role on Saturday, and those folks will turn up the next day.

Edited by a2knet

Still though. There is always this juggernaut for Rings fans to drool over.

$742 million overseas in 2003-2004. No 3D. No IMAX (or at least if there was a much smaller share). Just massive attendance.

These days if it had the same attendance even without 3D it'd probably do at least $1.1-1.2 billion overseas alone.

Even today that is just amazing.

Edited by Mango
  • Like 1

$742 million overseas in 2003-2004. No 3D. No IMAX (or at least if there was a much smaller share). Just massive attendance.

These days if it had the same attendance even without 3D it'd probably do at least $1.1-1.2 billion overseas alone.

Yea, RoTK was huge overseas...but it benefitted from a huge uptick in exchange rates. It's lower than HP1 overseas, and right around FoTR. I think CoS is right around it, too. 

With the liberties that studios sometime take with the Sunday estimate, won't be surprised if WB show a 19% Sunday drop from DOS and give it a weekend of 75 mil. Especially if they(ahem..along with me) hope the weather played a role on Saturday, and those folks will turn up the next day.

I hope they are not stupid enough to do that. I don't see anyway this makes 75m with the Sat. # it got.

Still though. There is always this juggernaut for Rings fans to drool over. $742 million overseas in 2003-2004. No 3D. No IMAX (or at least if there was a much smaller share). Just massive attendance. These days if it had the same attendance even without 3D it'd probably do at least $1.1-1.2 billion overseas alone. Even today that is just amazing.

I think Fellowship was still bigger.

The $960m is still fucking gorgeous to look at. Especially for an 8th film in a series with a MUCH lower 3D share than almost all other blockbusters overseas.

Just wait until the Juggernaut 2 is here and takes TA2 apart at the seems...All chaos will be unleashed Noctis..:D

Im expecting 2.5-3.4+B OS from that one.. It will be another moment in JC fandom history. :)

With the liberties that studios sometime take with the Sunday estimate, won't be surprised if WB show a 19% Sunday drop for DOS and give it a weekend of 75 mil. Especially if they(ahem..along with me) hope the weather played a role on Saturday, and those folks will turn up the next day.

I don't see how they would do that and not be laughed at by every studio out there.  They'll predict something like a 23-25% drop and then actuals will come in with about a 30% drop.

Edited by baumer
  • Like 1

Just wait until the Juggernaut 2 is here and takes TA2 apart at the seems...All chaos will be unleashed Noctis.. :D

Im expecting 2.5-3.4+B OS from that one.. It will be another moment in JC fandom history. :)

I can't wait until Avatar 2 rips Avengers 2 into pieces. 

Even today that is just amazing.

LOTR3 and LOTR2 would have beat HP7 part 2  with 3D. That is well known..So sorry 3D wasnt big then Mango :(

• Like 1

Yea, RoTK was huge overseas...but it benefitted from a huge uptick in exchange rates. It's lower than HP1 overseas, and right around FoTR. I think CoS is right around it, too. 

Noctis less face TT and ROTK are far better films than most HP films in quality and epic filmmaking. Though HP7  is up there or in the same ball park in quality  with  LOTR..  I really thought part 2 was brillant close to HP.. Couldnt have ended better and unlike SWS and just like LOTR our final film achieved wonders!!!

LOTR and HP for life!!

Noctis less face TT and ROTK are far better films than most HP films in quality and epic filmmaking. Though HP7  is up there or in the same ball park in quality  with  LOTR..  I really thought part 2 was brillant close to HP.. Couldnt have ended better and unlike SWS and just like LOTR our final film achieved wonders!!!

LOTR and HP for life!!

TTT is better than most Potter films. RoTK isn't. But we'll agree to disagree.

• Like 1

It was. HP1, HP2, and Fellowship were bigger than RoTK in attendance. 

How would FOTR be bigger in attendance than ROTK?  You're talking two years.  According to Mojo, ROTK sold 6 million more tickets.

What if it manages a 4x Baumer.. I really think the movie experience wom will be great. .Just gotta focus on less snow storms and more BO :D

I would love for it to manage a 4x multiplier, but I just don't see it happening.